Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carebear12

Acne and Coffee?

I'm an avid coffee drinker. I need at least 2 cups a day to help me function. It's the highlight of my morning. I also suffer from cystic acne and am on Accutane to help cure it. Recently, my brother told me that drinking hot beverages like coffee or hot chocolate could cause breakouts. He said that after he stopped drinking coffee, he had clear skin and never had a flare up. Is there any truth to his advice?

For me, drinking coffee in general makes me break out REALLY BAD! I try to avoid drinking coffee unless I am totally desperate to wake up or pull an all nighter to study.

I'm thinking that a fairly large percentage of the population is sensitive to coffee/caffeine.

There have been people who say they break out from caffeine. Even a thread looking for a coffee substitute with zero caffeine as even the tiny amounts in cocoa or decaf tea was too much.

Just thought I should add that I drink copious amounts of black tea as an alternative, which doesn't break me out. So in my opinion its not the heat of the beverage nor its caffeine content that causes acne, coffees just different and I miss it everyday.

I was on Accutance 20mg/day for 6months. I was regular in taking this medicine and now again my face is full of acne. I heard accutance is the best treatment in the market. I don't drink coffee, tea and no fizzy drinks. I don't even eat red meat. I don't eat junk food. What should I do to get rid of this Acne.

All i did in Thailand was drink coffee and drink Red Bull... and soda. My skin was never clearer... I thikn the sun and the sweating helped.

My diet got worse- fried foods every single day... sugary foods how many times a day...

I came back to the US and guess what? break outs. I also stayed in Thailand for 60 days.

I just don't get it myself... even during my menstral cycle i only had like 1 or two small zits. Im definitely doing something wrong cause here I am on my cycle with about 9 zits. ew.

I was on Accutance 20mg/day for 6months. I was regular in taking this medicine and now again my face is full of acne. I heard accutance is the best treatment in the market. I don't drink coffee, tea and no fizzy drinks. I don't even eat red meat. I don't eat junk food. What should I do to get rid of this Acne.

Diamond, go easy on white foods. This includes milk and buns, pastries, pasta, pizza, cookies, as well as healthy things like beans, potatoes, noodles and eggs. This includes anything with lots of sugar in it too. Milk too! You'll clear up and you won't have to cut out the foods you love, just eat less of really sugary/starchy foods, eat a wide variety of foods everyday and make sure what you eat is mostly healthy. Aim for a couple servings or sweets, a couple servings or milk, and a little starch everyday and spread out your portions over the course of the day. Never binge eat anything. An example of binge eating can be stress-eating, or even in a movie theater and finishing even a quarter of a bag of popcorn. The main thing is to eat, then move on to someting else to do once your energy levels are up. The worst thing you can do for acne is sit down with food and continually eat for more that 15 minutes.

Started drinking Monster energy November 2004, continually drinking more and more per week, and by March, my skin was HORRIBLE. I didn't realize it at the time, but I could have gone on accutane it was that bad. Anyways, after a visit to the derm and all, it got to moderate/mild status by fall of '06. I quit sodas in June '06, then Monster/all energy drinks in July '06, my weight began to go down even more (I was borderline obese then) and my face began clearing. Now, giving up milk in May '07 just about did it for my face by the following September. The acne began to go from inflammed to noninflammed, and the number of them decreased as well. So yes! Stimulants = no no. Except when it's a starbucks frappacino :doh:

Just thought I should add that I drink copious amounts of black tea as an alternative, which doesn't break me out. So in my opinion its not the heat of the beverage nor its caffeine content that causes acne, coffees just different and I miss it everyday.

I agree with this. Coffee breaks me out terribly EVERYTIME. I have tested it multiple times and there is definitely a correlation. Sucks because I love coffee. Anyway, I drink green tea as an alternative and it does not break me out even though it does contain caffeine.

Hmmm...I am not a huge coffee drinker, only a cup a day but I wonder if it has any affect on me. I don't drink other caffeine as I rarely drink soda and if I do, it's normally Sprite. For the last 2 weeks I have stopped drinking coffee during the week and only having it on the weekends. I am going to test this out thought because I have never really thought about it.

I looove coffee,but whenever I drink it,I break out.The main reason is probably the caffiene.

Quotes I got online about coffee causing acne:

Caffeine causes two big problems. First it increases triggers in the adrenalin glands to release stress hormones, which increases your stress levels. Too much stress is bad for your health and skin. There are studies linking stress to acne and almost every health condition.

Caffeine is an alkaloid that triggers the nerves to boost energy rapidly, but the energy is temporary and fades quickly. Studies reveal that alkaloids directly stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce large amounts of sebum. Sebum when mixed with propionibacteria makes a plaque. Therefore, health professionals recommend avoiding the intake of caffeine as much as possible.

Further quotes mentioned that one or two cups a day shouldnt give you acne or make your acne worse.But large doses definitely will and if you feel you are sensitive to caffeine you dont drink things containing it.

I dont think the heat of the coffee (or hot chocolate) has anything to do with acne.However,hot drinks have been known to irritate ROSEACA and causing flushing.

I drink a special coffee once every week or two. Its called gano excel and has this mushroom stuff in it? Anyways, I don't know if I break out from it or not, but it does make me "go" a LOT afterwards. Kind of like a coffee enema, but more pleasant? :ninja: I dunno, maybe thats bad

my boyfriend says coffee makes him break out too, but i haven't really ever noticed a difference.... i drink 1-2, sometimes 3-4 cups daily and haven't had a problem ever. i love my coffee.

Coffee is also a really bad GI irritant, which can't be good for people with acne (poor digestion seems to be rampant among acne sufferers).

On the plus side, though, it has a lot of antioxidants...

Coffee doesn't cause acne, it is additives like cream, sugar and milk which cause acne. I also break out from coffee with stuff in it. Black coffee with stevia never causes acne for me. I'm drinking it right now actually.

Anyone had any experiences with organic decaff coffee? I love, love, love coffee and I miss it so much, however I don't want to risk drinking it again because I believe it's contributing to my skin problems. I was at my local health store today and almost bought some organic decaff, but I gave it a second though, because I'd like to get some feedback first. Anyone?

haha i also have a can of organic decaf in my freezer that catches my almost every day these past two weeks as i go to grab a bag of frozen fruit for green smoothies. I do not know if it worth a try though since i was not able to see a direct connection between coffee and breakouts. As far as making you have to go to the bathroom more often i can second that notion for sure. The same time i quit coffee i started drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day and I go to the bathroom less often now then i did when drinking coffee and nearly no filtered water each day.

What type of coffee are you talking about? Some people refer to coffee as milk&sugar with a drop of coffee as "coffee".

I drink a high quality coffee and I drink it black, up to 6 cups a day with no issues. I have noticed that triple toffee-caramel frappamocchiolattechinos break me out (plus they aren't as good :D)

drink several cups of coffee per day with fatfree cream and have not had a problem..

You're lucky!! :shock:

if coffee broke me out I dont know if I could stop drinking it.. :snooty: I rely on it so much.. :rolleyes:

but I dont believe its luck..I think its the hard work and dedication to healthy foods and exercise that allow me to get away with drinking my coffee..other than coffee all I drink is water..nearly 2 gallons a day..about half of the year I drink about 2 or 3 8oz glasses of milk before bed..thats it as far as fluids.

Honestly caffeine in coffee is bad. For sure. My brothers girlfriend was pregnant twice. She purposely sat home and drink soda all day about 6 cans a day. had a miscarriage twice within two weeks.

and no drinking hot things is not bad. I put it like this when i train people to lose weight. "DRINK HOT WATER" it flushes you out better. Think of it like this when you put butter on a hot pan what does it do MELT. Now in order to keep the butter hard it has to be cold. So avoid drinking cold things after meals and drink Hot Water. this is my personal advice that i give and take.