Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFabolous

Anyone using lentils?

I would like to know if anyone is having succes with lentils, as for soups or something instead of having meat with your meal.

Their a legume, right? Do they make you break out like peanuts, or how is it with the lectins in legumes?

Which lentils are the best to use, and what do you suggest using them for? Soups?

i should imagine lentils are good because they are low glycemic index. me and my friend made a lentil, carrot, courgette, tomato, onion, ginger and garlic stew type thing the other day, it was fantastic! plus my skins been pretty much 100 percent clear the past month since i've been eating low glycemic load foods, but i've broken out slightly this week and not sure why!!

I love lentils and eat them all the time. They definitely do not break me out, even though peanuts do... and other beans tend to give me mild digestion problems, but not lentils.

It's important to soak them overnight (or at least 7 hours) in water to get rid of most of the lectins. After they've soaked, rinse them for a couple minutes in cold water.

Red lentils are really good for soups. I sautée some onions and garlic in coconut oil, then add the soaked lentils (I use one bag... not sure of the exact amount), 4 cups chicken stock and 3-4 cups water, any vegetables I have on hand (usually carrot, celery, potato). Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, add some salt and thyme near the end, and that's it. It keeps for several days in the fridge, and you can freeze some if you want.

Green lentils are good for pilafs because they don't go mushy. Here's a good recipe (if you eat rice): http://www.drgourmet.com/recipes/extras/le...ricepilaf.shtml

Thanks alot Leah_

Im sure I can handle them aswell. I can handle every food, as long as my digestion works. But im still staying 120% healthy. I've had clean skin for 2 months now, only some slight skin rashes due to constipation. But this week everything is fine luckely.

Im going to use some Quinoa/Green Lentils for some lunch recipes then. I'll rather use Quinoa together with Lentils than rice. I'll save the brown rice for dinner.

Do you think I can make something with 1/4 cup lentils and ½ cup Quinoa for lunch the days I dont want meat?

What about sesam oil? Can I use olive oil instead if I heat at low temp? I don't really know which oil to use for cooking when im trying to avoid saturated fat. Isnt olive oil pretty unstable?

Yeah, definitely don't avoid saturated fats...omega-6s and trans fats are the ones you want to keep in check.

But to answer your question, olive oil can be used at low temperatures without much harm done, but even then I would use coconut oil. Frankly, why not?

I thought you could become Insulin Resistant if you kept using saturated fat. But I guess a little coconut oil is fine then. I normally use it for meat, so thats probably no problem.

But saturated fat = omega 6's aswell right? And olive oil is almost pure omega 6's aswell?

I still got problems with this hole fats/carbohydrates balance.

I've recently introcuded a little complex carbohydrates (not fruits), because I were running low and im still doing candida diet. But Im not sure how much I can handle, if im still using fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, coconut oil. Im not over-doing fats in any way. A user from this forums told me that when you get 20% fat pr day, you could get insulin resistant :think:

You're not going to become insulin resistant from eating over 20% fat. If you ARE insulin resistant, then it might be a good idea to do either a low-fat/high-carb diet OR a low-carb/high-fat diet (never both low-carb and low-fat because you do not want to eat high-protein, it's very unhealthy)... But even if you are insulin resistant, I don't think those extreme diets are really necessary. Personally, my diet is about even between carbs, fat, and protein (about 1/3 of calories from each). It's really just important to eat healthy, whole foods, avoid your personal food sensitivities, and exercise.

You're not going to become insulin resistant from eating over 20% fat. If you ARE insulin resistant, then it might be a good idea to do either a low-fat/high-carb diet OR a low-carb/high-fat diet (never both low-carb and low-fat because you do not want to eat high-protein, it's very unhealthy)... But even if you are insulin resistant, I don't think those extreme diets are really necessary. Personally, my diet is about even between carbs, fat, and protein (about 1/3 of calories from each). It's really just important to eat healthy, whole foods, avoid your personal food sensitivities, and exercise.

Thanks alot Leah, you just cleared up alot of my confusion. Im not insulin resistant, I can handle carbs just fine. And I am finding a balance between carbs, fat and protein right now.

Thanks alot. And oh I love to be clear. This week without digestion issues and with new stuff like Quinoa cereal in my diet is like being in heaven. LOVE IT :D