Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ts93

AHH, I feel so HOPELESS!!!

I was really excited about my first appointment with a dermatologist, as I'd been seeing 3 different pediatricians for my acne issue and still had not gotten the relief I'd hoped for.

What I ended up getting out of this appointment was more than just disappointment.

It went like this...

Derm: So, what medications are you allergic to?

Me: None, but I won't take tetracyclines because I get really sick if I take them. Like, major headaches so bad I start crying.

Derm: Oh, what tetracycline were you on?

Me: Minocycline, but again, I'd like to avoid tetracyclines in general, because I'm thinking they'd cause the same effects on me.

Derm: Well, doxycycline is different.

Me: How different?

Derm: It's different. How long were you on minocycline? 3 months or so?

Me: 3 days.

Derm: What?

Me: I told you I get major headaches. I was crying. I was finally like, "I'm not taking this anymore!"

Derm: What medications have you tried besides minocycline?

Me: You'd like a list?

Derm: Yes

Me: Retin-A, Clindamycin in 2 forms, Benzaclin, Sulfur, sodium sulfacemetide (sp?), Salicylic acid, Benzoyl peroxide. I'm on Differin now, .1%. Uhm, and aspirin and yogurt masks. And proactiv.

Derm: **feels my face and makes me really uncomfortable**

Me: My mom had cystic acne.

Derm: You don't have any cysts.

Me: I know.

Derm: You're acne will go away. When you're in your mid 20's.

Me: What?

Derm: Well, I don't think we can cure you.

Me: Well yeah, but what can you do??

Derm: It's a combination of hormones, skin cell build up, bacteria, and genetics.

Me: So you can't do anything?

Derm: Some things might help. It's not bad enough for accutane.

Me: I just want to get clear.

Derm: **looks skeptical**

Me: **starts crying**

Derm: Well, I'll put you on accutane..

OKAY, DO YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG HERE... SHE SAID NO TO ACCUTANE UNTIL I STARTED CRYING...

Now, I am a teenager. With mild acne.

So I left the room with a list of things she wanted me to consider trying:

-Birth Control (ick. i dont even ovulate, what would that do to my body?!?)

-Doxycycline (Oh please, you've got to be KIDDING me)

-Stronger Topicals (uhm.. such AS????!)

-Stronger Differin (as if that will actually DO anything..?)

-Accutane (oh deary deary dear)

And she gave me samples of:

A strange product (which i later found out had clindamycin. excuse me, I have tried THREE clindamycin products, and what makes you think this will be any different?!?!)

Differin .3 (it wont work, but i guess I'll use it in the meantime)

my mom will NEVER let me take accutane but this doctor acts like it is the only choice.

I have no idea what to do next.

ACNE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I need hugs. :wall:

aww. :cry:

i'm sorry that happened to you.

something similar happened to me about a year ago. i waited like a month to see this new derm, but when i finally saw him he was SUCH an ASS. ugh. he just told me that he couldn't really give me anything and that i should just 'call some other doctor to fix it'...exact words. like WTF? and yeah as soon as i left i just started cryyying and crying.

there are plenty of better derms out there. i wish you luck though with whatever you decide.

Duchamp...I dont think you have not been on bactrim long enough to say its not working out. Though yes some people say their skin clears up fast...it takes up to 4 months for others according to my dr. I am on like week 6 or 7 and have just been seeing nice results. One cyst or two..etc. I know you have been on it less time than me, so give it time.

Its working for me but today I saw a different derm (I had the appt. scheduled months ago or I may not have gone) and she said I could go on accutane if I wanted because they dont like bactrim for long term use. I may have done this except I am going away for school in the fall and wont be around to get tested.

She also suggested a stronger differin. 3 percent. .1 didnt work so not sure if that is the answer.

I am thinking of staying on my azelex and maybe trying the benzaclin on a spot or 2. (normally BP does not work for me)

Justin, anytime you take medication you are going to get a reaction of some sort. You have to weigh the risks. None of the meds out there are totally safe..so would you rather live with acne or trying something. It seems like each option your dr. offered you had some reason why no it would not work.

I think you need to try some things.

** Please note I am not saying Bactrim is a good drug to try. I realize that many are opposed to using it. I am just saying if you did decide to use it...give it time.

For some reason I laughed my ass off because you sound like the typical american brat. " I can't get my way so I'm going to cry."

Maybe next time I go to the doctors and say I want oxy cotin because I got up too fast and my ear hurts.

Doctor: No.

Me: *crys*

:naughty:

Honey, That derm is a jerk with no compassion and a person like that does not need to be in the medical field. Please please report them. He/she didn't even do their job, and accutane is not a drug that should be thrown around just because of their laziness. Ahhh... that makes me so mad. I'm sorry that happened to you girl. Did your mama go in with you? What did your parents say/do when they found out?

Okay.... there are things you can try that your faux derm did not tell you. Please don't lose hope. Where there's a will there's a way. You just gotta get your will going and don't let ANYONE tell you there's no hope. It's a big world with alot of answers in it. One can and will be found. Acne sufferers are a group of people who definately know patience. We're some of the best at it. So have patience. Go to different derms, try different things, and in between..... just live your life girl. Thats all you can do.

I just started taking Spiro. I really hope it works, as I've tried so many things. I understand that I'm probably about to breakout like never before, but at least feel good inside, with good health. I have moderate acne and tonight I'm going to take my pill and go out and have a good time. I'm optimistic about everything I try for acne just because it's less grief than being pessimistic. Not to say it doesn't get me down. I have my low's and crying jags, but then I shake it off, carefully put on makeup and do something to cheer myself up.

Don't leave your next derm appointment until they suggerst something helpful. I'm serious now, you just stay there. :nod:

For some reason I laughed my ass off because you sound like the typical american brat. " I can't get my way so I'm going to cry."

Maybe next time I go to the doctors and say I want oxy cotin because I got up too fast and my ear hurts.

Doctor: No.

Me: *crys*

:naughty:

I was just trying to explain... If something was to happen to her because she took accutane.

It's hard to explain.

It's like the doctor says "No your not a candidate for tumor removal for example.

You start crying and the doctor feels bad, and says hell with it " I'll do it"

and while doing the procedure you die.

I'm not trying to be cruel to this "darling" just looking out for her/him.

That's strange of the dermatologist to give you accutane like that. S/he said it wasn't bad enough to take it. If you are in your teen years, its just something that you've got to deal with. I'm 19 and have had mild acne since 14 and now i'm just washing with water. Too many medications can actually make your situation far worst because of 1. Irritation 2.too many chemicals 3. strips away natural oils and healthy skin.

Please consider seeing another dermatologist, and don't cry next time. There are people with FAR worst acne than you do. I'm sorry to say this but, don't be selfish.

That was a weird visit. Second opinion? Or you can go back to Dr Asshat and ask about spiro. It really helped me out (along with BCP.) It may not work for you, but it is worth a shot. Spironolactone was initially developed for high blood pressure and they found that it cleared up acne in people who had acne. The dosage they give you for acne is nowhere near the dosage you get for high blood pressure, but they do like to do occasional labwork to make sure your potassium level is in check.

two words... Paula's Choice!

Do you know how many people were let down by their dermatologists and then found hope in Paula's Choice?

My derm prescribed me three things at once and my face freaked out. I bought PC and my skin cleared up in about 3 days... now i'm left with all these shitty red marks...

I was just trying to explain... If something was to happen to her because she took accutane.

It's hard to explain.

It's like the doctor says "No your not a candidate for tumor removal for example.

You start crying and the doctor feels bad, and says hell with it " I'll do it"

and while doing the procedure you die.

I'm not trying to be cruel to this "darling" just looking out for her/him.

If any kind of doctor say's the hell with it because someone is upset, then they need to lose their license. What kind of doctor does that? When your told you can't be helped with something that is so emotionally important then of course your going to be upset. Some people cry, some get angry. Everyone handles these things differently and shouldn't be critized. If a procedure did turn fatal I can teel ya now it's not the patient who would be in trouble for crying. That doc would be sued so fast his/her head would spin. If your looking out for someone, you don't make a reference to a "spoiled brat". I'm not trying to be mean. Theres just no way to be more tactful.

^^ Well it's true. You can't just cry when ever something happens that doesn't work out perfectly and expect to get your way. Not trying to be an asshole but acne doesn't get cured with hugs.

I don't think she was expecting a hug. She was probably expecting info, not a shut down. But hey, who doesn't want to be told it's hopeless? I agree, she should have clapped her hands laughing and thanked the derm for being so useless :dance:. All of us at some point, even if you don't admit it on here, have been reduced to tears because of acne. Whats wrong with ya'll. Just because she'a young and cried you think she's just trying to get her way. It doesn't matter what kind of acne you have, it's dibilitating. This community is here to offer support to each other, not jump to conclusions or criticize or judge. I don't want to argue, I'm just shocked at the attitudes towards this girls reaction. I won't write or read anymore towards this paticular thread. :clap:

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. What I do not appreciate is being called a spoiled brat because I cried.;)

Are you looking for a "I'm sorry I cried". Do you have a problem with crying? And since when is it okay for you to laugh at another's frustration? :eh:

I was just told I will be suffering from something that makes me want to hide in a corner for at least 10 more years. Uhm, is that something you would honestly want to hear? :wall:

It makes me feel hopeless, like by trying things I am just wasting my time and money on something that is beyond my reach.

All this time I have been told it is about finding something that works for you. When you are finally told that there is nothingthey can do for you, and you look at your face and think, "Are you seriously kidding me?", especially when you have mild/moderate acne.

I am not ashamed of crying about it, nor will I ever be. Nobody can make me feel that way. I cried because that's how I felt. Some people will yell, some people will scream, some people will cry, some people will suck it up and deal with it and have fun with their lives. There is nothing I can do to control how I react. And it CERTAINLY was not a "boo hoo, I don't get what I want and I'm gonna cry until I get my way", it was out of FRUSTRATION, and I am sorry if you haven't gotten a chance to feel what it's like; you are seriously emotionally deprived!!! Or shall I say deprived of a normal childhood? :hand:

Yes, my dad came with me. My mother had to work so I couldn't bring her. He actually was considering Accutane, he wanted to learn more about it, and like a good parent he wanted to know the risks and if there were any other options like accutane but safer. I commend him. I think that it is cool that he is interested in what I want to accomplish. My mother, on the other hand, suffered from cystic acne with scarring and she doesn't see "what the big deal is".

I am an aspiring actress and looks are perhaps the most important thing about you, next to talent. This definitely adds to my frustration, being that without halfway decent skin you won't even be considered for roles, regardless of talent.

By the way, I am a young teenager who has been suffering from acne through out most of my late childhood.

Please ignore Skeets, he is temporarily unable to torment anyone else on this site. Keep sharing, Ts93, we're listening.

it didnt like the derm cared very much O-o try a different derm?

Theres been reviews about ACV, that could help. Zinc and other vitamins has said to help acne too.

Calling someone a "spoiled brat" definately is inappropriate. However, as far as I can see, there actually is no cure to acne.

The list of medications you have presented your derm with is pretty much the who-is-who of acne treatment. There really is not much more around. The fact that your derm didn't want to prescribe Accutane in the beginning, I am sure, is due to you being a teenager. He probably hopes you will grow out of acne soon and doesn't want to take any risks, which shows responsibility. If, after you start crying, he offers to prescribe Accutane, this simply shows that he takes into consideration the emotional stress you go through. In the end, Accutane is a medication not primarily for those who have acne, but those who simply can't take it anymore OR those who have extreme, i.e. severe acne. Never forget: It's a medication for severe acne. The fact that, on this board, so many people with moderate or even mild acne have taken or are taking Accutane shows that either they have convinced their derm that they can't take it anymore OR that derms have changed the way they use Accutane to an "off-lable-use".

I think what skeets was trying to say, though in the wrong way, was that there are things in life you have to cope with and sometimes just to accept. This isn't easy to learn/understand, I sure haven't.

But before I continue writing things that are really besides the point:

Concerning the topicals you have taken: Have you taken them on a continous base, i.e. every day for let's say three months? That's something everyone has to be honest about, not with anybody else but with yourself. Treating acne topically is a pain in the ass. It takes time to do, it takes time to see results and it can be very inconvenient. Nevertheless, esp. considering you are still quite young, make sure you have tried every option before going to the "next level". Also, don't be mad at your mom for not wanting you to take Accutane. In a few years you will find that, often (not always) your parents made the right decisions for you (even if, at that point, you don't see it).

Thanks!! :)

I have never missed an application of any medicine I have been prescribed in over 3 years. (Well, except last saturday night, in which I decided my face was flaking so horribly there wasn't anything I could do about it, and skipped the .3 Differin) The only other instance of missing/skipping is when I stopped taking Cephalexin, because I don't like antibiotics for acne,and I am looking for something that will keep me clear if used consistently (not a temporary fix). You cannot consistently use antibiotics.

I also found it strange that she (the dermatologist) explicitly said that Tazorac was another Retinoid product, yet she did not put it on the list of things she wants me to consider trying. Is Tazorac dangerous?? (I don't think it is...) I was wondering if that is something else I should consider talking to my pediatrician about (I do not want to see this dermatologist again.)

My face is looking absolutely horrendous and I have tiny pimples everywhere. I have a breakout on my earlobe, and it bleeds like hell when I pick at it. I never pick at acne, but I can't stop picking at my ear. It keeps scabbing over and over, and it looks almost like a rash. It is rather disgusting. It bled so much earlier and the lobe touched my face, that it started going down my face. I could not feel it, so I didn't know it was bleeding until I saw the blood on my fingernails.

I've also got them in my scalp. They were not there at my last appointment. Those bleed horrendously when I pick at them as well, not to mention they are terribly painful when I brush my hair. I have some on the back of my neck, and my chest and back are not getting any better. I have pimples on my upper shoulders that will not go away.

And, to top it off, there's also one on my face RIGHT below my nose that refuses to go away, and it is highly unattractive.

Still waiting for something that'll actually work - - but I think I'll go to my pediatrician and get on some Birth Control pills, for other medical reasons - - that is one thing my mom should have no problem letting me take. Those could help some. Does anyone know what types of BC are the best for acne?

That was a weird visit. Second opinion? Or you can go back to Dr Asshat and ask about spiro. It really helped me out (along with BCP.) It may not work for you, but it is worth a shot. Spironolactone was initially developed for high blood pressure and they found that it cleared up acne in people who had acne. The dosage they give you for acne is nowhere near the dosage you get for high blood pressure, but they do like to do occasional labwork to make sure your potassium level is in check.

Thank you for the suggestion!!! :dance: That is very interesting; unfortunately I have really low blood pressure and can't take that medication in particular, but I wonder if some other medicines also can clear up acne?? That is really interesting - I will have to look into that! :) :)

1Noahone ~ Could those red marks you got not been helped by the BP in Paulas Choice? Everytime I use BP it irritates my skin and seems to leave a red mark. I am taking an antibiotic and using a topical and when I want to dry things up I use a little calamine.

I was really excited about my first appointment with a dermatologist, as I'd been seeing 3 different pediatricians for my acne issue and still had not gotten the relief I'd hoped for.

What I ended up getting out of this appointment was more than just disappointment.

It went like this...

Derm: So, what medications are you allergic to?

Me: None, but I won't take tetracyclines because I get really sick if I take them. Like, major headaches so bad I start crying.

Derm: Oh, what tetracycline were you on?

Me: Minocycline, but again, I'd like to avoid tetracyclines in general, because I'm thinking they'd cause the same effects on me.

Derm: Well, doxycycline is different.

Me: How different?

Derm: It's different. How long were you on minocycline? 3 months or so?

Me: 3 days.

Derm: What?

Me: I told you I get major headaches. I was crying. I was finally like, "I'm not taking this anymore!"

Derm: What medications have you tried besides minocycline?

Me: You'd like a list?

Derm: Yes

Me: Retin-A, Clindamycin in 2 forms, Benzaclin, Sulfur, sodium sulfacemetide (sp?), Salicylic acid, Benzoyl peroxide. I'm on Differin now, .1%. Uhm, and aspirin and yogurt masks. And proactiv.

Derm: **feels my face and makes me really uncomfortable**

Me: My mom had cystic acne.

Derm: You don't have any cysts.

Me: I know.

Derm: You're acne will go away. When you're in your mid 20's.

Me: What?

Derm: Well, I don't think we can cure you.

Me: Well yeah, but what can you do??

Derm: It's a combination of hormones, skin cell build up, bacteria, and genetics.

Me: So you can't do anything?

Derm: Some things might help. It's not bad enough for accutane.

Me: I just want to get clear.

Derm: **looks skeptical**

Me: **starts crying**

Derm: Well, I'll put you on accutane..

OKAY, DO YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG HERE... SHE SAID NO TO ACCUTANE UNTIL I STARTED CRYING...

Now, I am a teenager. With mild acne.

So I left the room with a list of things she wanted me to consider trying:

-Birth Control (ick. i dont even ovulate, what would that do to my body?!?)

-Doxycycline (Oh please, you've got to be KIDDING me)

-Stronger Topicals (uhm.. such AS????!)

-Stronger Differin (as if that will actually DO anything..?)

-Accutane (oh deary deary dear)

And she gave me samples of:

A strange product (which i later found out had clindamycin. excuse me, I have tried THREE clindamycin products, and what makes you think this will be any different?!?!)

Differin .3 (it wont work, but i guess I'll use it in the meantime)

my mom will NEVER let me take accutane but this doctor acts like it is the only choice.

I have no idea what to do next.

ACNE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I need hugs. :wall:

yess i agree u shud see another derm. and i use to differen and its helped me alot. i only used 1% as well but if u get a higher percentage than it cud help. differen will take a while to see the results of. and hopefully he is rite..u mite stop haveing acne after ur 20! -good luck