Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catty

Oh hai, I'm another 'tane blog

Hello! I am Catty. I have been on here for years as you can see and I finally got prescribed roaccutane 2 weeks ago on the NHS. I'm 22, female, live in Scotland and have severe hereditary acne, although it's not cystic/nodular. It mainly affects my face but I have some acne on my back too. My scarring is limited to red marks. I'm 5'6", 56kg and have been given a month's supply of 30mg a day. I'm also on Yasmin contraceptive pill. I'm using Dan's moisturiser for my face and Neutrogena Immediate Repair Lip Balm. My skin isn't too dry just now, my nose is ok, but my lips feel HORRIBLE. I have a really bad habit of picking at my skin throughout the day and it takes longer to heal too. I work out a lot and take a protein shake in the morning an a protein bar at night as meal replacements as I'm trying to lose some weight, hopefully this wont affect my treatment. I've been getting depressive spells too which I know is down to the roac, it sucks and I hope it doesn't last. I'm sick of all the side effects and still not seeing any improvement! Patience is a virtue, I guess...

Day 21: I look like absolute shit. I keep getting huge spots that make-up just won't cover, my lips are constantly bleeding which makes me look like a crack addict and my skin is so flakey my make-up will not stay on. Seriously, I looked in the mirror at work today and considered going home early because I looked so bad. I was so down a few days ago, for no reason, I felt like I was going out of my mind. I have my next derm appointment on Monday to get my second month's prescription. If my skin isn't looking at least a little better by then, I'm considering packing all this in. It's just not worth it to be feeling this bad and getting nothing positive back.

Day 26: Still getting new spots. The dryness of my skin is a bit more manageable though. Lips still cracked and bleeding. Haven't had any more depressive spells though which is a saving grace. Will my acne ever clear up? I've got a derm appointment tomorrow morning to get my second month prescription so maybe the derm will up my dosage.

At my 2nd derm appointment 2 weeks ago the nurse said my skin was look better - less "puffed up" and the active spots were drying up. And up until a week ago I'd say my skin was definately improving. But over the last week it's been getting worse again. More active spots that take longer to heal. I blame a weekend of excessive drink, drugs and sleeping in my make up :(