Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi,

A few questions, if I may.

(1) Would it be redundant to use both the AHA+ sold here and the AHA souffle? The souffle sounds like just what I need, but I don't want to get it and not get the AHA+ if the latter is more important.

I've had some trouble with the moisturizer sold here causing a mirror-ball shine on my forehead. I no longer use it in that area for that reason, but I would like to moisturize there. I noticed a recommended alternative moisturizer is the Olay Complete for sensitive skin. Two sub-questions...

(2) Does anyone know whether the Olay product would produce less shine than the DK moisturizer?

And, I'm specifically asking about the Olay because I have some that I bought before I found acne.org and the regimen. But I didn't know to get the sensitive skin formula at that time. I got combination/oily because the oil seemed to be my problem. (3) Anyone think this will matter?

Somewhere along the line I got confused about exfoliation. I thought I wasn't supposed to do it because of the extra irritation. As I was reading through the forums this time I see that exfoliation is commonly suggested. But I don't see any officially recommended products for this. (4) Recommendations? Anything I should look (out) for?

I'm asking these questions rather than just trying them out myself because I need to place an order for more cleanser and treatment post haste. And I'm broke.

FYI, my acne is not severe, but I've only been on the regimen less than 3 months and it's helped tremendously. I only ever have significant problems when I get lazy. I need just a little more help and I'm hoping one of the AHA products will do the trick.

I hadn't broken out in years until I quit smoking 2 years ago, at which time I started breaking out immediately and didn't again have a clear face till the regimen. So yeah, I need another reason to want a cigarette, really I do. (5) Have one?

Thanks in advance.

-D

Hi,

1. Yes, I do think it would be redundant to use both products together. The AHA souffle is more intended for exfoliation and anti-aging, while Dan's has ingredients that will also calm acne prone skin. The 2% difference in glycolic acid strength probably isn't enough to make a noticeable difference, but I think Dan's would be a better product to use on Acne prone skin. It's also a lighter lotiony product whereas the Alpha Hydrox Souffle is a thick creamy product.

2. I've used them both and it really mostly depends on how much you use. If you need to slather on a lot of moisturizer, you're probably going to get a shine no matter which one you use. And we do recommend adding a bit of jojoba oil to the Olay to give it a boost in flake control.

3. I've tried the Olay Combination/oily version and while it was less shiny, there wasn't much moisturization with it and it does have a fragrance and left some flakes. The sensitive version of Olay is fragrance free, which I think is a bonus for most of us.

4. We typically do not recommend manual exfoliation which is different than chemical exfoliation. Manual exfoliation such as with scrubby cleansers, washcloths, etc. can be irritating to acne prone skin and may even exacerbate the problem, but chemical exfoliation by means of an AHA product can still get the job done but won't actually irritate the skin in the way that manually exfoliating can. I'd recommend Dan's new AHA, it's a huge tube (6oz.) and has the benefit of exfoliating while helping acne prone skin.

5. No way. If you've been able to quit successfully, give yourself a pat on the back and I'm sure your heart and your lungs thank you. :)

I hope this helped.

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to go with the AHA+ from here as you suggest, and try the Olay and/or some Cetaphil which I bought after reading about it here. I'll try jojoba oil in each of those. I now understand my confusion on exfoliation.

I have to deduct points for question 5, though. ;)

-D

Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to go with the AHA+ from here as you suggest, and try the Olay and/or some Cetaphil which I bought after reading about it here. I'll try jojoba oil in each of those. I now understand my confusion on exfoliation.

I have to deduct points for question 5, though. ;)

-D

Sounds like a good plan, although you probably won't need to add the jojoba oil to Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It usually takes care of the problem by itself. You may need it with Olay though.