Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, I am 16 years old and throughout my life I have had the occasional pimple pop up here and there, but it was nothing to serious. About 6 months ago I was using Proactive, which worked but made my face very oily and pretty dry.

So I went to the dermatologist and he gave me Doxycillin and Sodium Sulfacetamide 10% and Sulfur 5% lotion. I used that and it seemed like it cleared everything up. I was using a neutrogena face wash as well.

But then I realized having to use proactive for my whole life and taking antibiotics for my whole life could be harming to me. So I decided to take a holistic approach.

I stopped using the antibiotics and proactive alltogether and bought the book acne free in 3 days. I did the stuff in the book along with acnezine. My face was cleared up. But I thought hey this new Ginale Skin care treatment that Chris Gibson made looks good, and I bought that. Worse thing I have ever done in my whole life. It broke me out completly worse than I have ever had before. I wish I could post before and after pictures of how good my skin looked when I was using Proactive or the Derm stuff.

So here I am back to plan 1 and went to the dermatologist on thursday and he gave me the same stuff I was doing in Feb. My face looks better from the ginale stuff but its nowhere near what it was when I used proactive.

Sorry for the long post, but I need advice. Should I continue to use the Dermatologist stuff, how long do the antibiotics take to kick in..I have also been using Salicic acid neutrogena face wash or go back to proactive? Proactive made my face oily and dry but it seemed like it worked when I look back at all the pictures of me when I was using it. I am going to hawaii in about a week and its very discouraging that this all had to happen now. But anyways, I was planning on trying the derm stuff for about a month, and see what he says. And if that doesn't work I might go back to proactive. What do you guys think? Thanks.

In my pasts experiences, I've had no luck with Proactiv, but I think my acne was much more severe than what the product was intended for. I'm not a firm believer in the holistic approach, yes I'm sure there are some aspects of it that work, but for the most part I thinks it's bogus. I really hate people who are holistic and bash medicine and the pharmaceutical approach to dealing with acne...anyway I'm rambling.

Yes go seek out a Dermatologist and work closely with him/her to help resolve this.

I'd follow your dermatologist. Maybe consult your derm to see whether or not the medicine he gave you, or pro-active, would be most effective for you right now.

I just bought the acne stress control 3 in 1 hydrating acne treatment. Do you guys think it would be fine to use both the foam wash and this together. Like using the foam wash then afterwards using the hydrating acne treatment? Thanks.

Well, when I was on monodox...oh that's funny, i just googled it, and it's doxycycline. Well, when I used doxycycline it took me a couple weeks for it to start kicking in. I'd say I had to wait 2-3 weeks before I started seeing results. I guess my body needed time to adjust and start killing the bacteria that caused acne within my system. Since people's bodies react differently, yours can be a lot shorter than my wait.

I heard the stress control from neutrogena was an okay product to use. Make sure the neutrogena face lotion that you're using is non-comedogenic, which means it doesn't block pores. Some lotions do block pores and people do have acne breakouts from it so watch out for that.

I'm not sure if you can use both the foam wash, and the 3in1 acne treatment together. The foam wash in itself has salicylic acid in it (0.5%). The 3in1 also has salicylic acid in it as well (2%). I'm not sure if it is safe to put that much salicylic acid on your face at one time. However, I did hear good things about the 3in1. I'm sure someone here can add some more info.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp87252_333181_s...tion_spf_20.htm

That is the face lotion I have been using. It says it doesn't block pores... I do not use it on my entire face though either, just places were it is dry.

I just found that on the back of the 3 in 1 acne treatment it says "we recommend the following oil free acne stress control products with the 3 in 1..."

Power foam wash and power clear scrub. So I am guessing these two products are made to go hand in hand with eachother... What do you think?

Also would the acnezine 2.4 benoxyl peroxide moisturizing cream along with the other two things be to much? It seems to work pretty good with my skin, but I didn't know if using both the S acid and BP would too damaging to the skin?..

It sounds like you are making things too complicated. I'd stick to what your derm prescribes. However, if you want to use both sa and bp then i'd say separate them, use sa in the morning and bp at night. However, the most important thing to realize in acne care is to keep it simple! I suggest using what worked for you before, whatever that is.

Well if I can remember right proactive really worked for my acne, it just made my skin more oily and dry.