Notifications
Clear all

What is up with my chin? (pic)

MemberMember
(@angi)

Posted : 06/26/2008 5:44 am

I have these bumps on my chin, they are always there and have been as long as I can remember at this point. I used to have a lot of small bumps on my forehead as well, which seemed fairly similar, maybe slightly more inflamed. The ones on my forehead are completely gone with regular use of BHA, though, and the ones on my chin haven't responded at all. I've been using 2% BHA daily for quite a long time with no change in this particular area. Any thoughts?

post-77317-1214476983_thumb.jpg

post-77317-1214476983_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 06/26/2008 6:20 pm

My chin is very similar, maybe a little more subtle, and nothing makes it budge so far.

I used to do DKR for my inflammatory acne, but moved onto other products specifically cuz I was frustrated with my chin.

I've been on retin-a for a year + mandelic acid for several months, and I use an AHA moisturizer. BHA doesn't do it for me either, and my inflamed acne comes back when I use it.

Everything from retin-a, AHAs, BHA, and mandelic acid are supposed to help clear this kind of acne. Everyone says it takes TIME. My derm said 6 months or more on retin-a to see improvement.

It's been a year for me though & I'm getting impatient as I see no results (except my inflamed acne is under control). You may consider trying one of those options though, in addition to or as a replacement of BHA.

I am switching to a new derm now, who will hopefully find a solution for me. Maybe I need a stronger concentration of retin-a or something....my last derm wrote me a prescription for two refills and her staff practically ran me out the door. I don't feel comfortable going back, as they obviously don't take acne patients seriously

Okay sorry....that was a personal rant :D

MemberMember
(@angi)

Posted : 06/26/2008 11:10 pm

Well, at least it's good to know I'm not alone! I've used BHA irregularly for about a year and a half and daily for over 2 months, and the combo of that and BP has done wonders for the inflamed stuff, but these darn things on my chin just won't go. I've just started using Diacneal within the past week, which also has AHA in it, so I'm hoping that does something but not holding my breath at this point.

I hope your new derm is able to find something that works better for you!

MemberMember
(@bessthe-a)

Posted : 07/07/2008 11:52 am

Are you using fluoride toothpaste?

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 07/07/2008 12:40 pm

Thanks...I will let you know if I make any progress. If you find any solution, then let me know too...i think we're in the same boat with these bumpy chins :D

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 07/09/2008 2:00 pm

Well, it looks like plain old comedonal acne. If it is ... the Diacneal should start making a difference in 4-6 weeks, maybe less.

Do you have a good esthetician? A couple rounds of extractions, combined with the Diacneal, might work wonders. If you don't know of someone, I would try to get a recommendation from a local derm's office. These closed bumps are trickier to extract than blackheads, and you want someone who knows what she's doing.

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 07/11/2008 1:55 pm

I've just started using Diacneal within the past week, which also has AHA in it, so I'm hoping that does something but not holding my breath at this point.

Thanks....fingers crossed!

What is diacneal exactly? Just an glycolic acid lotion?

I already use retin-a, mandelic acid, and lac-hydrin five with lactic acid....I wonder if I switched to a glycolic acid lotion in place of lac-hydrin if it would be too much...

Anyway, let me know how the diacneal goes :)

MemberMember
(@angi)

Posted : 07/11/2008 4:45 pm

Diacneal is a combo of OTC retinoid (retinaldehyde, which is a step before retinoic acid, a step past retinol) and glycolic acid. I'm starting to see results with it overall, but not in these spots on my chin.

I found a post on makeupalley, though, where someone had posted identical pictures of her chin, and they were hypertrophic scarring. After seeing those pictures, I'm strongly suspecting that's what mine are. It would explain why no other product is at all effective, even if it works on the rest of my skin.

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 07/13/2008 1:19 pm

Diacneal is a combo of OTC retinoid (retinaldehyde, which is a step before retinoic acid, a step past retinol) and glycolic acid. I'm starting to see results with it overall, but not in these spots on my chin.

I found a post on makeupalley, though, where someone had posted identical pictures of her chin, and they were hypertrophic scarring. After seeing those pictures, I'm strongly suspecting that's what mine are. It would explain why no other product is at all effective, even if it works on the rest of my skin.

Uggghhh.....my chin looks so much like yours; now I wonder if it is raised scarring also . I mean, it's been the exact same bumps for years. It's not like some clear up & new breakouts occur.

My last derm didn't say anything about scarring though, and she led me to believe that the retin-a would eventually clear the "bumpiness" on my chin I specifically asked about. Of course, I found her dismissive in general, so maybe she just didn't care to look into it further...

MemberMember
(@angi)

Posted : 07/13/2008 6:48 pm

Well, I'm still not sure if some of it may be scarring, but in the last 24 hours or so, some of it has become a bit more inflamed and is now dry and peely... Since I've started the Diacneal, this has happened in a couple spots that were very closed, under the skin type bumps, and after the peeling subsided, it left smooth skin underneath. So I'm hoping this is the retinoid at work. I'll see if there's a change in the next few days.

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 07/16/2008 4:31 pm

Well, I'm still not sure if some of it may be scarring, but in the last 24 hours or so, some of it has become a bit more inflamed and is now dry and peely... Since I've started the Diacneal, this has happened in a couple spots that were very closed, under the skin type bumps, and after the peeling subsided, it left smooth skin underneath. So I'm hoping this is the retinoid at work. I'll see if there's a change in the next few days.

Hmm...that sounds hopeful. I've been on prescription retin-a for a year though and my chin is as bumpy as ever.... I doubt diacneal would help me out any more than the tretinoin has.

I'm wondering if it's the glycolic acid now...

MemberMember
(@acdc1)

Posted : 07/20/2008 9:27 pm

My chin is exactly the same. I don't really have any inflamed acne, just those little bumps. Have them on my forehead, too. I'll keep up with this thread to see if anybody has any helpful advice.

MemberMember
(@houseofzits)

Posted : 07/26/2008 4:41 pm

I have those too! I think they're whiteheads.

Everytime I use a cleanser (Noxema) it seems to go down LIKE CRAZY but return to normal size after? I'll check back & post if I find anything.

MemberMember
(@corey_matthews)

Posted : 07/27/2008 3:13 pm

i think i have these not on my chin but on my nose! im using BP and BHA for about 2 weeks but doesnt seem to be doing anything so far..

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 07/31/2008 12:32 pm

I went to the derm. This new derm seems a lot better. He was really nice, and seems to specialize in acne cases. He told me few people need to see him more than twice, meaning he gets them a skin care routine that works after 2 visits. He confirmed that my chin is comedal acne. He said nothing about raised scarring. My chin looks soooo much like your photo Angi, so I hope for your sake it is also just stubborn comedal acne.

The derm told me the retin-a is not working on my chin because my last derm did not raise the concentration over time as you're supposed to. He said by now I should be using .1% concentration. He upped me from .025% to .05% this visit. After I get used to .05% I will go to .1%.

I also got a prescription for tetracycline for my inflammatory acne. Not thrilled about going the antibiotic route, but I'll follow doctors orders instead of being a paranoid know-it-all :D.

MemberMember
(@jamieisjewish)

Posted : 08/01/2008 8:35 pm

ok. I just joined here, and my regimen is not as sophisticated as everyone elses, however, I managed to get rid of several of the bumps on my chin. WHat I did was an 8% TCA peel, and after a week and a half I did a 12% peel. What happened is that it brought the white stuff to the surface as a whitehead (although very thick for a whitehead), and some of them cleared and haven't returned. I still have a few. Some of them I have picked with a needle, and extracted it that way, but it seems that to take a pimple that isn't inflamed, and then make a big red mark on your face for a few days is something you're going to have to weigh the benefits of. Even if you go to the dermatologist, it's going to leave a red mark and/or small scab. The Peel is what worked best for me, but I have not a clue how to prevent them in the first place. I started getting more and more after I started exfoliating regularly (twice a week). I thought that if anything the exfoliating would help get rid of those.

MemberMember
(@angi)

Posted : 08/12/2008 4:38 pm

I went to the derm. This new derm seems a lot better. He was really nice, and seems to specialize in acne cases. He told me few people need to see him more than twice, meaning he gets them a skin care routine that works after 2 visits. He confirmed that my chin is comedal acne. He said nothing about raised scarring. My chin looks soooo much like your photo Angi, so I hope for your sake it is also just stubborn comedal acne.

The derm told me the retin-a is not working on my chin because my last derm did not raise the concentration over time as you're supposed to. He said by now I should be using .1% concentration. He upped me from .025% to .05% this visit. After I get used to .05% I will go to .1%.

I also got a prescription for tetracycline for my inflammatory acne. Not thrilled about going the antibiotic route, but I'll follow doctors orders instead of being a paranoid know-it-all :D.

That's good to know! I've moved up to Differin, so hopefully that will help.

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 10/27/2008 6:25 pm

Anyone have updates on their chin?!

My chin is still bumpy...

MemberMember
(@anon2)

Posted : 10/27/2008 6:36 pm

hey my chin kinda looks like that too. the corners of my mouth especially not too bad tho. Just those little bumps ugh! they never go away!

Siouxise- I also use lachydrin five lotion. No huge improvment tho :(

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 10/27/2008 7:17 pm

Siouxise- I also use lachydrin five lotion. No huge improvment tho :(

Yeah...it pretty much just helps with flakes, not comedal acne. I like it as a moisturizer though.

MemberMember
(@marching-midnight)

Posted : 10/30/2008 8:42 pm

My chin looks exactly the same under my lip and on the corners of my mouth. These usually just stay there, but now they are turning into inflamed acne -.- I have been on so many diffrent types of medicine and they have always been there.

MemberMember
(@meagain)

Posted : 11/26/2008 3:48 pm

bump

i know no one has responded for like a month....but i have that acne only on my chin too, ive been using 2% bha it seems to be turning some into whiteheads...but other not so much hmm illl update in a few.

anybody have any updates on whats working/not working? i also think i might be exfoliating too much? im gonna stop any scrubs and just use bha and sometimes aha.

MemberMember
(@rq77)

Posted : 11/26/2008 7:20 pm

I may have this,mild case not on the chin but forehead. I was given Zindaclin 1% gel active ingredient clindamycin phosphate, and have been using a tiny bit of gel on a test area for roughly a month. No improvement. Not sure that it can be helped by any type of gel, cream lotion etc. The doc (holistic) that I trust says its hormonal. The doctor that prescribed the gel didnt seem to have any knowledge as to what kind of acne that I have, Im thinking of quitting the Zindaclin. Does anyone have any tips on this acne and any safe ways to remove/lessen it without taking any drugs. I was given diet help but apart from what to eat, any help, much appreciated.

MemberMember
(@glide123)

Posted : 11/27/2008 9:31 pm

I also have this problem...has anyone found a solution yet?

I've tried the retin-a, differin, anitbiotics routes...none have worked for me. The derm says its scarring...but new little bumps appear and others disappear.

help! i just want to get rid of them!

i've posted a pic in the post: "Small bumps on chin (scars, milia, fungal infection????) "

MemberMember
(@calla-lily)

Posted : 12/27/2008 7:53 pm

Oh my gosh!! I thought I was the only one with this problem. It was driving me nuts trying to figure out what they are. Well, I still don't know what they are, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. :D Anyway, I think I'm going to try some BHA product on it. I already use glycolic acid and BP on it, but they have no effect on those weird chin things.