Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robynxo

No longer prescribing Dianette, so I'm going to try Accutane

Just went to the doctors and they sent me away again cos they are no longer prescribing Dianette. I've just been crying for a while with my mum trying to comfort me, cos Dianette was the only thing that seemed to work for me, even though I never had consistently clear skin. My skin is quite bad at the moment, so I went to get a repeat prescription of dianette but they won't let me. I'm so upset about it, I can't see what else I can go on other than Accutane now. I'm not trying Yasmin, there's too many bad reviews of it, and I'm not trying anymore topical, and the DKR is really good at controlling my acne so I don't want to stop doing that. And I've tried 3 types of antibiotics, one of which worked temporarily then I broke out like crazy.

I want it all to stop, so I'm going to try accutane, well I'm going to ask for it anyway, I have another appointment tomorrow. I'm worried about the side effects which include depression, because I've already struggled with mood swings and feeling slightly depressed while on dianette so I don't know whether I'm strong enough to handle it. But to be honest I feel even worse with bad skin. My skin isn't severe at the moment, but if I stopped the DKR it would be at least moderate. It was moderate before I went on the DKR and it started to get really bad again when I had a break from the DKR a while ago.

They better prescribe it me or I'll go absolutely mad at them.

I can't start accutane until after september though, as I'm going on holiday at the beginning of september so shall be sunbathing and drinking alcohol (no other way around it, or I'd have a rubbish holiday staying indoors and not partying), and it says I have to take a negative pregnancy test 30 days before starting anyway. So I'll ask tomorrow if there is anything I can go on until then. Maybe they will prescribe dianette again, if I'm stopping in september.

Why don't you try another BCP in the interim? Don't worry about bad reviews of Yasmin. Honestly, most of the people who take time to write reviews tend to have problems, so you don't get an accurate picture of how people do. I have a few friends who absolutely love Yasmin. There are plenty of other choices as well. Lots of people have success on other types of BCPs, but you probably want to stay away from anything with levonorgestrel in it since it tends to be the worst for acne.

Why won't they prescribe you dianette? I presume it is because your GP doesn't want you on it for too long? The GP I had at uni was like that and wanted me to stop. However, my usual GP and two derms I have seen (one at uni, one at home) have all said they were happy for me to still be on it. I have been on it for 5 and a half years now. Because I have no risk factors for cancer etc (such as being overweight, smoking, family history) they don't seem to have an issue with it.

Have you been referred to a dermatologist? In the UK only a dermatologist at a hospital can prescribe tane. Normal GPs can't. If you aren't currently seeing a derm it might be worth asking to be reffered as this can take up to 3 months unless you go privately.

I'm currently on my 2nd course of tane and my NHS dermatologist is brilliant. Ask your GP which derms have the best reputations out of the ones you can choose from.

My derm said by the end of the year he's hoping I'll be clear on just Dianette but I'd quite like to give Yasmin a go eventually if he agrees.

Really sorry to here of the problems your having, my skin is also going through a bad patch. Just a thought, you dont think jojoba oil is causing you problems ? I know its surposed to be non comeogenic but I am convinced its caused me to outbreak in the past week, which is a shame because I like using it and its great for hydrating skin. I would really push for an alternative before roaccutane, if your acne is only mild to moderate then it really should be a last resort.

Just been to the doctors again (I'm fed up of being there), and we looked at the past treatment I've been on. I've done everything apart from Yasmin and Accutane. The doctor prescribed me Minocycline (already been on it, it didn't work then), and said I should wait till I go back to uni in september and find a dermatologist in London to get Accutane, as I'm registered down there. It is my last resort. I want a LONGTERM solution now, I'm getting really really really REALLY agitated and fed up with my skin, if it isn't sorted by next year I think I will actually give up everything, even the DKR and end up buying accutane online or something drastic. I'm just glad I don't have a bf at the moment so I don't have to feel self conscious when it comes to going sleep and removing my makeup, which I've always had a problem with.

I will try a months course of Minocycline again, then go onto Yasmin in september (I will need birth control somehow anyway so may as well), and then finally accutane hopefully by christmas. If Yasmin works a treat maybe I won't have to, but I'm going to go for accutane anyway, I don't want anymore waiting around. It'll be nearly a decade soon of having acne. Lets hope I can get rid of it finally.

I've been using Jojoba oil to remove my makeup, I don't know if its the problem, I've also come off dianette so that might be the problem, but I can't get it prescribed to me again. Anyway, while I was on dianette I was never clear, maybe NEARLY clear for about 2-3 days but then it'd all go wrong again.

I'm eating healthier than I ever have, fruits and drinking water etc. and exercising, and I'm not under any stress. I'm sticking absolutely to the regimen day and night, I'm not touching my skin (noone else is either), I'm not smoking anything. I don't eat much chocolate, my immune system is good due to drinking probiotic drinks every morning, eating porridge etc. I drink lemon water every morning also. I am very gentle with my skin, I do not use face masks, I wash with only water after removing my makeup, I only wash twice a day.

I'm exasperated. I hate seeing my skin, it's red and bumpy and sore sometimes, and even with makeup you can still see it. It's gotten worse this week maybe due to quitting dianette, but I can't go back on it. Also, dianette played with my moods quite a lot and made me a lot more stressed and irritable.

I don't want to be 30 years old and still having to consider accutane, and it ruining any plans for pregnancy etc. If I can go on a 3-5 month course and my skin even clears up 90% I'll be happy. I just want it over. I will be looking back on my life in the future and the main component of hardship will be this horrible acne. What a horrible memory.

********** DIFF DECISION **************

Ok, I realise now that I've been acting very negatively during my recent breakout, and I have been thinking a bit too desperately about what I can do.

I am not going to try accutane, I don't think my skin is severe enough and I don't want to risk any of the longterm side effects.

So INSTEAD I'm sticking to the DKR and going to go on Birth Control whenever I can. I can't start it till I go on my period anyway so I'll try and book an appointment for next week sometime to be safe.

Dan's regimen has improved my skin so much since I first came to this site (2005), so I will keep my trust in it and hopefully the birth control will monitor my hormones better, as I think my hormones are the main problem here.

Thanks to all for giving their different views as I was being very narrow minded and not really looking at any other options for a while.

Hey Robyn.

It looks like you are doing loads of great stuff to benefit your skin :) I know exactly how you feel when you do so much and still aren't clear, it sucks :( Good look on the regimen!

The one thing I noticed is that you said you eat a lot of fruit. Having too much fruit can sometimes make acne worse, expecially if your acne is hormonal. I can't remember the exact science behind it but it's to do with blood sugar and androgens I think. You could probably google it. That doesn't mean to say have no fruit at all, but try to eat plenty of veggies too and only eat fruit with a meal because then the sugar is balanced out by other foods.

Good luck! x