Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi everyone, it's bin a short while since I last posted. Anyways, i'm in my 3rd month of isotretinoin and things are looking OK.

My side effects have been:

(at first) - Really itchy head, and I mean itchy. That subsided after around 3 weeks.

Head aches - This again, stopped around the same time as my really itchy scalp.

Dry hands - Even caused dyshidrosis, which i've had for about a month now. This is a bad side effect, all my hands have been peeling which doesn't look nice at all.

Dry arms - The underneath of my arms has also been really dry, however some thick moisturiser has sorted this out.

I'm a pretty bad picker, and my main grumble is the amount of time it takes for skin to heal. I pick a spot, and it takes around 2 weeks to have healed to an extent where i'm happy. Before it was like 3,4 days. Has anyone else experienced this?

It's month 3, and i'm not at my wits end, however come the end of month 6 I imagine I will be. I just hope all this shit is worth it.... Please post back if you can relate to any of this.

Lewis :)

Accutane makes your skin heal slowly so quit picking! I know it's hard, but you're only going to make it worse.

one question SuperLew when did these sie effects get bad? Im coming to the end of week 2 and my face is not oily at all with dry lips but nothing insanely dry, infact I don't have to moisturise at all except apply balm on my lips throughout the day and im okay. I remain matt throughout the day on my face and my hands slightly more drier.

Can i expect it to get worse or have a I peaked by 2 weeks as I can't see it getting worse or me getting more drier?

Well the first 3 weeks were the worst for my scalp, that was flaking like mad, and itching even worse! Then when that calmed down, my hands became really dry, around week 5. They're getting back to normal now but if you wiki dishydrosis you'll see what I mean - I hated it.

But, since i've applied Vaseline's moisturiser for extremely dry skin to my arms (Sorted them within 4 days), the only side effect I have right now is dry lips and slightly dry hands - Which i'm very happy about. But yea, picking is a bitch, takes ages to heal, and twice as easy to damage the skin. But, I can't help it, it's like an OCD. So DON'T start with the habit.

Take it easy :)

I know what you mean with the picking! The problem is if i see a clogged pore I tend to try and push the white stringy gunk out because I feel it has to eventually come out anyway why not speed the process up instead of waiting days or week for it to naturally shed. The biggest flaw with this is the hypeprigmentation marks it can cause those suck. Im not sure if accutane can get rid of every little clogged pore I think its only useful in preventing cystic acne and pimples from forming but may not actually ge rid of the clogged pores (you know the white small bumps) completely. I guess they aint that visible anyway so I may just have to get used to living with them as long as I dont get any major pimples and cysts!

Regarding the slow healing issue, I was wondering if anyone has an idea for how my routine of plucking eyebrow hair (in the unibrown area) could be effected once I start taking Accutane soon? I do this about once a week and will usually get a bump (like a pimple, I guess) in one or two spots where I pluck an average of 10 or so hairs, and it usually takes a few days for that to clear up. So it sounds like that process might get significantly worse while on Accutane?