Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use Tazorac at night and Duac in the morning, but when I usually put Duac on, my face stings a lot. :mad: I told my dermatologist about the stinging and he told me to suck it up.

Sometimes, I skip using my Duac because I know it's gonna sting a lot, but I realized that when I don't use Duac in the moring, my face feels better and less oily during the day and by the end of the day, my face doesn't look "wet" from all the oil. By the middle of the day, I have to dab my face with a napkin so that my face doesn't look so oily, but when I don't put Duac on, I don't need to dab my face with a napkin or wash it again in the middle of the day. My face just feels better and less oily. Has anyone else felt this too?

I use Duac in the morning too. The reason you are experiencing the stinging/burning... which i have experienced and it is quite painful... is because you are using too much product on your face. try using as little as possible and spreading it out as much as you can. Also, make sure you are using a GENTLE cleanser on your face. Try Purpose Cleanser. Im not sure about the whole face becoming more oily with duac... i dont notice a difference, i have oily skin all the time! but maybe your skin is working overtime to produce more oil because you are drying your skin out too by using too much product

but maybe your skin is working overtime to produce more oil because you are drying your skin out too by using too much product

I've never once been able to find ANY medical literature at all stating that the skin works that way, that it attempts to control dryness by regulating how much oil is produced. Until somebody can provide some sound medical evidence for that weird theory, I'll continue to assume that it's just another amusing Urban Myth.

Duac just HATED my face. I used half a pea size for my whole face, and it burned, stung, and made me miserable. I started getting rashes and flushing constantly, too. Couldn't go out into the sun, even with sunscreen. Then the capillaries around my nose started surfacing . . . (I used it for maybe 9 months.) My NP told me to suck it up, too.

I don't know how to use the quote tool but --

I've never once been able to find ANY medical literature at all stating that the skin works that way, that it attempts to control dryness by regulating how much oil is produced. Until somebody can provide some sound medical evidence for that weird theory, I'll continue to assume that it's just another amusing Urban Myth.

^Okay, Bryan, here is an article about oily skin from WebMD, a trusted medical site.

"Oil production is nature's response to irritation – so the harsher the cleansing, the more likely the body is to respond by producing more oil, " says Schlessinger.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-tre...hat-work?page=2

I don't know how to use the quote tool but --

If you click on the "Reply" button that's immediately underneath the other person's post, it will automatically quote what he wrote.. If you click on the larger "Add Reply" button that's underneath that one, it won't quote what he wrote. Evidently, you've been clicking on the "Add Reply" button all this time.

"I've never once been able to find ANY medical literature at all stating that the skin works that way, that it attempts to control dryness by regulating how much oil is produced. Until somebody can provide some sound medical evidence for that weird theory, I'll continue to assume that it's just another amusing Urban Myth."

^Okay, Bryan, here is an article about oily skin from WebMD, a trusted medical site.

"Oil production is nature's response to irritation – so the harsher the cleansing, the more likely the body is to respond by producing more oil, " says Schlessinger.

You need to understand that I was SPECIFICALLY referring to dryness or oiliness, as in the presence or absence of oil (sebum) on the skin. It has been thoroughly proved experimentally that simply washing away oil from the skin has no effect on sebum production...in other words, there is no "regulatory" mechanism in the skin that causes the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, as if the skin were somehow able to detect that there is less sebum on the surface in the first place.

What YOU are talking about there with that quote is a separate issue: whether or not irritation (not just oiliness or dryness) has any effect on sebum production. I've seen that possibility mentioned every once in a while on this site (that irritation causes an increase in sebum production), but I haven't seen any real medical evidence to support that idea. In my own personal tet that I did on myself a couple of years ago (see my thread in the Acne Research forum titled "FINALLY: a more direct test of the 'feedback theory' "), I washed my forehead very thoroughly 5-6 times a day with Ivory soap for several days in a row, and it was so harsh that I experienced a LOT of irritation in the early going, to the point that my face was red and I was experiencing a lot of physical PAIN. And yet as you can see from the sebutape impressions that I made before and after the harsh washings, the irritation had no effect at all on my sebum production.

While I'm not entirely sure what the effect of really MAJOR irritation would be on sebum production (like rubbing battery acid into your skin! :) ), I seriously doubt that the more mundane, more typical kinds of normal, day-to-day irritation that you're likely to get are going to have any noticeable influence on your oiliness. I think what that doctor said was just something off the top of his head. I would challenge him to quote the medical literature to support what he said.

i'm not sure about Duac, I never used it, but I know when I used Retin-A Micro (from the .025% concentration to the .04%) it made my skin incredibly oily. I don't know why, but it did, and I have naturally dry skin (sensitive too).

In regards to the whole debate about whether over-drying of the skin can cause excess oil production due to the body's compensation efforts, I have no solid medical evidence or studies to back up my opinion, which is this:

Overdrying the skin is one of the worst things you can do. I did it as a young teen to combat the occasional pimple (pretty mild acne), and as a result, my skin progressively got worse, spurring me to try even harsher treatments, which in turn worsened my acne...a nasty cycle that I'm now breaking. Avoid overdrying your skin, and your skin will thank you.

In regards to the whole debate about whether over-drying of the skin can cause excess oil production due to the body's compensation efforts, I have no solid medical evidence or studies to back up my opinion...

For a clear and simple presentation of the scientific evidence proving that washing the skin has no effect on oil production, see my thread titled "The myth of skin washing and sebum production" in the Acne Research forum. You can find it easily by doing a search on the title.

i got the same thing from my dermatologist: duac in the morning, tazorac at night.

my dermatologist also gave me this information sheet that said if your skin gets too irritated from washing and applying these topicals, then you should wash your face less (or stop altogether) so that you can keep using the topicals without irritation.

i couldn't believe this, but i tried it and gradually reduced the amount that i washed my face. i was washing twice a day with cetaphil cleanser, then went down to once a day, then stopped using cleanser altogether.

now when i shower, i just let the water run over my face a little while. i don't touch my face until i get out, pat it dry, and then apply cetaphil lotion. my skin has been improving steadily.

fyi, using lots of cetaphil lotion (or any other good moisturizer probably) after applying both duac and tazorac can help with the burning or itching that they cause. it can also make your skin seem oily, but right now i wouldn't worry about that, since your main task is stopping the break outs.

also fyi, rubbing a napkin on your face to remove oil might make you break out. if so, it's far better to leave the oil there.