Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I'm 16 years old and have had acne since 6th grade (11ish years old). I've tried Proactiv (three times), Retin A, which made my skin extremely red while I was using it and I've gotten all these small bumps on my entire face due to it, though I've stopped using it and my skin has improved. And I used these Asian creams that my dad got from Vietnam.. which didn't work.

So back in January I went up to visit my aunt and uncle and their new house, and my aunt, who's a dermatologist, recommended I go on Accutane. She told my mom and everything, but my mom didn't do anything about it <_< But I guess I'm glad I didn't start it then since I had school and my exams and finals, but now that I'm on summer break the side effects won't affect me as much (hopefully!)

I reallyy hope my skin will completely clear up by the time school starts :D I'm currently on 40mg, one pill a day. I just took mine about an hour ago and yeah :) I bought the Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser earlier, as I figured my St. Ives Scrubs would be too harsh on my skin once Accutane kicks in. I've got my Burts Bees lip balm (my favorite must-have thing ;) ) andNeutrogena sunblock and Clean & Clear Moisturizer :) The pharmacist told me about Cerave, which I read about on this site and might consider buying if my current moisturizer doesn't work :)

Soo as I'm typing this up I'm eating an avocado smoothie (avocados, condensed milk, sugar, ice all mixed up) since avocados are high in fat (yeah?) and Accutane absorbs well with fat :think:

I wonder if anyone is going to read this haha I'll try and update every week or if I get some side effects, but I have lots of summer assignemnts (all these AP classes :doh: ) so I might not be able to. But I'll try! :)

Here are some pictures of my skin right now:

post-74319-1214503868_thumb.jpg post-74319-1214503960_thumb.jpg

Really hoping Accutane works for me! The pharmacist told me it's "a miracle" and wished me luck :)

Good luck to everyone else too!!

post-74319-1214503868_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1214503960_thumb.jpg

You're so pretty!! Best of luck on Accutane, Christy... I'm starting it soon and am hoping for good skin for the autumn-time... we'll see. ;] I get clogged pores and papules/pustules like you, so I suppose our cases are pretty similar.

All the best, I'll be keeping up with your log! =]

- Lauren

You're so pretty!! Best of luck on Accutane, Christy... I'm starting it soon and am hoping for good skin for the autumn-time... we'll see. ;] I get clogged pores and papules/pustules like you, so I suppose our cases are pretty similar.

All the best, I'll be keeping up with your log! =]

- Lauren

Thank you :) Hopefully it'll go well for the both of us :D I'd really like to hear how Accutane is going for you once you start it ;)

Good luck!

So it's Day 2 of Accutane :)

Obviously nothing has changed since I've only taken one pill. But I took pictures of my skin in natural light, as opposed to my last ones which were in my bathroom (the lights in there makes my skin look better :doubt: )

post-74319-1214504024_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1214504040_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1214504052_thumb.jpg

^ sorry for the little stray hairs. I have side bangs and had to hold them back

post-74319-1214504024_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1214504040_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1214504052_thumb.jpg

Hey Christy,

I'm glad there aren't any side effects yet. It doesn't look like you have many red marks or anything, so that's good! I hope you have a speedy improvement!!

you're pretty, i hope everything works out for you.

Thank you :angel:

Okay so I'm about to take my second pill. I'm excited :D haha I never thought I'd actually look forward to taking any type of medication lol

As for side effects, earlier today I experienced minor back pain, though it might've been due to the fact that I've been sitting here at my desk in front of my computer doing homework all day :wall: Right now my back is fine, so yeah, I'm pretty sure it isn't due to Accutane :)

In the case of my skin, two pustules just came up :mad: (that word sounds gross lol pusstule :| )I've noticed them under my skin though for the past day or so, so maybe the Accutane just made them come to the surface? But I've also noticed a slight decrease in oil production! That's always good news ;) Of course the oil hasn't stopped completely, but compared to before it has gone down. And it's only been one day! :dance:

I'll definetely keep updating whenever I can :)

Day 3

So I woke up this morning and looked in the mirror, and three new actives popped up, though they're somewhat small. Other then that, my face isn't as oily as it usually is, so that's good :) My face is a bit red though, but not extremely red or anything.

And no side effects so far :) No dryness or change of mood, no headaches like my derm said I might get (hopefully I won't get any!) so I'm happy about that :)

I've been drinking lots and lots of water and being sure to put on my Burts Bees every night before I go to bed to fight off the dryness before it comes haha

Umm I'll probably post up pictures sometime next week so yeah ;)

Hey, ChristyV, I wish you best of luck with Accutane. Don't get discouraged by breatouts over the first month. You're not sufferiing from scarring and much of the acne seems relatively fresh, which is a good sign. I think and hope you make a complete recovery. Better sooner than later, I guess (whatever works). Good luck!

Regimen: Accutane (31 days in)

hey christyv! thanks for stopping by my log =D

yeah..my IB was shockingly really bad compared to what i usually get but like you, i'd rather get it over with in the early stages than later in the course. i'm just praying that i dont get another big breakout like some people do x_x.

good idea you took accutane after exams...i took it a month before mine and it was HORRIBLE. my concentration completely died but i still managed to do well with A LOT of hard work and effort haha.

how is the aveeno cleanser working for you? i have the same line for my moisturizers both the SPF and night cream one and they're working really well. except for the fact they're REALLY expensive =(.

anyways, i dont want to post up a whole essay haha so good luck on your course! you're already pretty as is =P

hey christyv! thanks for stopping by my log =D

yeah..my IB was shockingly really bad compared to what i usually get but like you, i'd rather get it over with in the early stages than later in the course. i'm just praying that i dont get another big breakout like some people do x_x.

good idea you took accutane after exams...i took it a month before mine and it was HORRIBLE. my concentration completely died but i still managed to do well with A LOT of hard work and effort haha.

how is the aveeno cleanser working for you? i have the same line for my moisturizers both the SPF and night cream one and they're working really well. except for the fact they're REALLY expensive =(.

anyways, i dont want to post up a whole essay haha so good luck on your course! you're already pretty as is =P

Wow.. if I'd have taken Accutane before my finals I would've failed them all lol Not that I'm having any concentration problems or anything, but ya never know, I might get them later :doubt:

I like the cleanser a lot :) I've only used it once though lol :silenced: I figured since I was breaking out, I should stop using my facial scrub since it was harsh on my skin kinda, but yeah the aveeno one isn't harsh at all and works really well :) I might get the moisturizer if my skin becomes dry, but yeah its expensive :[

Day 4

Woo Day 4! lol yeah I still have a long way to go >_> Anywayss, my skin is pretty much the same, except for two small actives on my chin, but they're really small.

So far no side effects! I had some minor back pain yesterday, but it went away after 10 minutes or so. Oh, and does Accutane make it difficult for anyone to sleep? Ever since taking my first pill, I've had trouble going to sleep :confused: Usually I'd lie in bed for 15 or 20 minutes thinking about things, but now I lie there for what feels like an hour x_x I could usually force myself to stop thinking and sleep, but now it's as if I drank Red Bull right before or something lol

Day 5

Nothing has changed much in my skin, except for four really small spots but you can barely see them. I'm using the Clean & Clear Dual Action Moisturizer as my skin is starting to get a little dry. I really like the moisturizer :) It's not thick or heavy and leaves a cool, almost minty feeling behind haha

Oh and I figured that my trouble going to sleep wasn't caused by Accutane, as last night I fell asleep within 10 minutes of lying down lol I guess those other nights I just wasn't particularly tired, while last night I was, so yeah.

Hmm my updates are pretty boring.. lol There's never much change to my skin except a few small spots here and there :P

hey Just wanted to say good luck on tane! I'm only a week and a bit ahead of you! Can't wait until 2 months time!!

hey Just wanted to say good luck on tane! I'm only a week and a bit ahead of you! Can't wait until 2 months time!!

Thank you :) And good luck to you too! ;)

Day 7

finished week 1

Yeah so time is going by reeeally slow -_- I'm a pretty impatient person lol I just hope my skin clears up by the time I go back to school :pray:

So right now my skin is.. well it isn't where I want it to be. It's not really really bad or anything, but I'm not happy with it :[ But when am I ever lol >_> My forehead has gotten a few spots, which is a place I usually never have problems with. My skin is still kinda oily too :/ Maybe it'll go away within the week?

Other then my skin, there's no dryness or joint pain or anything, so no side effects. I do get a little bit of flakiness, but only around my pimples. Maybe its the 3 to 4 liters of water I drink everyday lol

And I'm trying not to pick at my face >< I'll just be watching tv or whatever and I catch myself doing that without even knowing I'm doing it lol It's like a habit. A really bad one :doh: And my red marks are becoming more prominent :[

Well I'll post pics tmrw, since I'm too lazy to take pics right now lol :P

Day 8

Here are pictures :]

post-74319-1215015994_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215016561_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215016007_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215016018_thumb.jpg

Why do the pictures still come out as huge -_- I resized them and all.. :think: oh well.

I think I might switch moisturizers and use CeraVe instead of the one I'm using now :confused: I kinda want to get it, but I have no money and I don't want to ask my mom for money :/ I'll just see how my moisturizer goes for a while more, but my skin is getting flakier :[ You can't really see it in the photos though.

Oh and is being really thirsty no matter how much water you drink a side effect of Accutane? lol I swear I drink sooo much water and my mouth constantly feels dry >< So do my lips, even though they're not chapped or anything. Except the corners of my mouth are cracking and it hurts :(

I think I may just do weekly updates now, not daily. I really gotta start on all my AP hw that I've been too lazy to start on lol I have a really bad habit of procrastinating and going on the computer and pretending to myself that I actually have things to do online when I don't -_-

Well I'll update next Thursday :)

post-74319-1215015994_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215016007_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215016018_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215016561_thumb.jpg

I'm glad things are going normally. I hope everything continues smoothly, and that the drying is fixed somewhat (I know it's too much to ask that it goes away completely, lol)! I just started my 4-week wait for Accutane (about time!). Derms are so slow with this stuff. >.<

yeh a weekly or biweekly update is better than every few days. it will make the process go by faster. =]

good luck with your course. i had a similar kind of acne as you though not as many red/inflamed ones.

I started accutane the same day as you and am on the same dose as you too. btw im 18 years old and have moderate acne and i chose to go on accutane in the summer so my skin will be clearer by the time i go to university in the fall. Good luck with your accutane journey.

Thank you guys for your support :) Good luck! :D

Day 16

^ I think..

Well, I think my skin has gotten worse? It sucks -_- Anyways, I've been a lot more tired lately then I normally am, and my mind always feels fuzzy :/ Maybe the side effects are starting to kick in >< My lower back is also really sore, like when I bend down to pick something up and I stand back up, it feels like knives stabbing me or something x_x And whenever I'm exercising or anything, I can hear my joints crack and stuff, and its pretty loud :|

Oh and I switched from the Clean & Clear Moisturizer to CeraVe Lotion, but it made my skin oilier :confused: So I'm not using anything on my face but the Aveeno Foam Cleanser. My skin isn't really dry so I think it'll be okay if I don't use moisturizer, and my lips are a lot less chapped then they were a few days ago :) Which is realllly good, since it hurt soo much, especially when I would open my mouth to eat or something, since the corners were cracking ><

Well, here are pictures:

post-74319-1215728914_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215729010_thumb.jpg

So I'll again update next week :)

post-74319-1215728914_thumb.jpg

post-74319-1215729010_thumb.jpg

Day 21

Wow it's already been 21 days on Accutane.. it's going by faster then I thought it would, but still pretty slow -_-

My skin is improving, though it's taking a while :P Most of my red marks have faded (woo!) but I still have some of those bright red inflamed spots :mad: Umm I still get breakouts every so often which sucks, but it's not major or anything. The soreness in my back doesn't come as frequently as it used to (exercising is helping a tonn), but I still get random soreness once in a while. I also switched from Burt's Bees to Vaseline (I still love you Burt's Bees !) cause it didn't help with the corners of my lips cracking, and after one day of Vaseline my lips aren't dry anymore :D It's weird though cause sometimes throughout the day my skin will be really really red, and then it'll start to go away and be gone completely, but then it might get red again :confused: Drinking water helps a lot with redness though. I woke up one morning and my face was pretty red, but after drinking about 2 liters or so the redness went away :)

I really hope my skin keeps improving!

Day 23

Ok so I wouldn't have updated this soon, seeing as how I just updated two days ago and there wouldn't have been a significant change or anything, but I got my first bloody nose this morning since I've been on tane. Not fun -_- I hope this is the only one I get.

Other than that everythings okay. The oil has stopped, or at least gone done a lot (almost completely). My skin is pretty much the same as before though.

So yeah, I'll update next week :)

Day 29

Wow it's already almost been a month since starting Accutane. I just got my blood test today, and they said they'd fax the results to my aunt by this Friday. Just in time for my appointment the next day! :)

As for my skin I haven't really seen any changes.. I got a few spots that popped up yesterday though -_- But I have to say my skin has never been this smooth :) (apart from the areas that are still somewhat broken out) Maybe its the CeraVe? But I don't think so because I don't use it anymore, seeing as how it seemed to make my skin produce more oil :confused:

I've been getting more headaches lately, too (like right now). They're not majorly terrible, but bad enough to make me not able to concentrate on my AP work.. and I have tonsss of homework and school starts in less then a month :/ I've also been really tired lately, plus feeling light headed, so I've been taking 2 hour naps almost everyday. My back is also starting to hurt more. It feels like an iron fist is squeezing my lower back or something ._. That sounds intense, but whenever I lie down the pain is reallly bad.

Well I'll update again next week or so :) Hopefully the headaches go away so I can get most of my homework done :pray: