Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mat

Can the sun help with acne?

Does the sun help with acne?..Or is this a theory?

I think it actually does the opposite, thats what I hear around here... stay away from sunlight or use sp15 or something..even though I rather be outside having fun than being scared of it doing more damage..

It's not a theory. The sun helps because it speeds up the process in causing your skin to peel and shed the damaged skin. When you have damaged skin hanging around it causes the infection to persist which is why they sell products to exfoliate the skin. ( Get rid of dead skin cells )

Accutane is a medication utilized to speed of the shedding process. However, it has some serious side effects which are really not worth the trouble. It doesn't really work that good.

You should never be on Accutane and hang out at the beach catching sun. That is very dangerous! If I recall correctly you are not suppose to drink milk either because of the vitamine A. In short Accutane did not work for me.

Diet, exercise, sun and fresh air is the key to get rid of acne and or improve your skin condition.

Good Luck!

It's not a theory. The sun helps because it speeds up the process in causing your skin to peel and shed the damaged skin. When you have damaged skin hanging around it causes the infection to persist which is why they sell products to exfoliate the skin. ( Get rid of dead skin cells )

Accutane is a medication utilized to speed of the shedding process. However, it has some serious side effects which are really not worth the trouble. It doesn't really work that good.

You should never be on Accutane and hang out at the beach catching sun. That is very dangerous! If I recall correctly you are not suppose to drink milk either because of the vitamine A. In short Accutane did not work for me.

Diet, exercise, sun and fresh air is the key to get rid of acne and or improve your skin condition.

Good Luck!

hey dude im tanning tomorrow it worked for me last time! it works amazing

Good Luck!

hey dude im tanning tomorrow it worked for me last time! it works amazing

well than ignore me, i thought it actually harms your skin...i thought i had to stay out of the sun.

Excessive sun exposure (such as deliberate tanning) is harmful. You will develop damage from it. You will get wrinkles. You may develop skin cancer. You'll actually damage the cells of the skin; that's why cancers develop.

15 minutes of so of protected sun exposure a day is beneficial as it promotes the creation of vitamin D (NOT C). A small amount of exposure to the sun daily is beneficial to the mood as well.

Excessive exposure is unwise.

Anything that is excessive is not good for you. I did not recommend high sun exposure. However, I would take wrinkles over liver damage any day from taking prescription medications.

As far as the sun, sun does not cause cancer. They say the sun causes cancer because when people put on their SP5 the sun hits the skin and the man made chemicals in the lotion react and get absorbed by the skin causing things like cancer.

Nature is not the problem!

It's easy to blame the sun but the sun has been around for ever. Cancer is something that continues to rise because we keep poisoning our foods with things like pesticides and injecting cows with things like steroids to make them bigger to yield higher profits in the diary market.

Don't let anyone ever tell you the sun causes cancer! This is a lie!

Exactly, freehelp! Scientists have society convinced that sun exposure will automatically give you cancer or getting a tan once in a while will give you cancer. The recommendation for how high SPF you should use keeps getting higher and higher, and how often you should reapply sunscreen keeps getting closer and closer together. Heck, I've heard people telling others that they're not safe from the sun unless they apply SPF 80 sunscreen every 30-60 minutes that they're in sunlight. Are you kidding me? I rarely wear sunscreen, as a matter of fact I don't even remember the last time I wore sunscreen, and I don't have skin cancer or tumors or anything.

Honestly, if the sun gave us cancer and our only protection was staying indoors and constantly re-applying sunscreen, don't you think that the people in early civilizations, where they spent most of their time outdoors farming and planting and hunting, wouldn't have lasted very long because of all of the sun exposure without sunscreen because it wasn't even invented yet? If the sun really was the killer that everyone makes it out to be, I wouldn't be alive, because my generations and generations of my family were farmers and spent most of their day in the sun, without any protection except their clothes and their sunhats.

I had to laugh when you said vitamin C, ya it's vitamin D. It will probably work temporarily by making you're top layer peel off, but then it will get even worse.

Anything that is excessive is not good for you. I did not recommend high sun exposure. However, I would take wrinkles over liver damage any day from taking prescription medications.

As far as the sun, sun does not cause cancer. They say the sun causes cancer because when people put on their SP5 the sun hits the skin and the man made chemicals in the lotion react and get absorbed by the skin causing things like cancer.

Nature is not the problem!

It's easy to blame the sun but the sun has been around for ever. Cancer is something that continues to rise because we keep poisoning our foods with things like pesticides and injecting cows with things like steroids to make them bigger to yield higher profits in the diary market.

Don't let anyone ever tell you the sun causes cancer! This is a lie!

There is a significant amount of research that proves UVA rays wreak havoc on the skin. It breaks down collagen, reduces elasticity, creates brown spots/etc.. There are safer and more efficient ways of exfoliating the skin, rather than sitting out in the sun and letting the harmful rays peel off healthy skin.

Yes, there are some benefits like Wynne said - but there is plenty of research indicating that the sun's rays do more harm than good.

Exactly, freehelp! Scientists have society convinced that sun exposure will automatically give you cancer or getting a tan once in a while will give you cancer. The recommendation for how high SPF you should use keeps getting higher and higher, and how often you should reapply sunscreen keeps getting closer and closer together. Heck, I've heard people telling others that they're not safe from the sun unless they apply SPF 80 sunscreen every 30-60 minutes that they're in sunlight. Are you kidding me? I rarely wear sunscreen, as a matter of fact I don't even remember the last time I wore sunscreen, and I don't have skin cancer or tumors or anything.

Honestly, if the sun gave us cancer and our only protection was staying indoors and constantly re-applying sunscreen, don't you think that the people in early civilizations, where they spent most of their time outdoors farming and planting and hunting, wouldn't have lasted very long because of all of the sun exposure without sunscreen because it wasn't even invented yet? If the sun really was the killer that everyone makes it out to be, I wouldn't be alive, because my generations and generations of my family were farmers and spent most of their day in the sun, without any protection except their clothes and their sunhats.

UVA rays are invisible and can create damage on the skin without you noticing it. It isn't until we start to age that we start to notice the outcome, so please be careful in how you manage the amount of sun exposure you receive. Also, regarding early civilizations: our ozone layer is not as strong as it once used to be. Just something to think about..

Have fun, sun worshipers! I bet basal cell carcinoma and premature collagen loss are a BLAST!

I can't believe some people actually think exposure to the sun is BAD for you. Yes, excessive amounts of the sun can be damaging(especially when using an AHA or any kind of exfoliant that strips your skin oils) but overall it is almost necessary to have a decent amount of sun exposure for healthy skin. Most people afraid of the sun most likely use tons of chemicals on their faces which makes them more prone. Understandable, but don't spread the misinformation about the sun being bad for you.

How exactly is staying cooped up inside hiding from the sun a healthy thing? ... There are way too many positives of getting sunlight. Not only for Vitamin D but the sun effects brain chemicals(i.e. serotonin) which can in turn help stress. And also, as someone said earlier helps peel and get rid of dead, dry and irrelevant skin cells on your face.

You know how long you need to be in the sun for UV rays to give you relevant skin damage? Skin cancer isn't simply gotten from going outside every day, it's gotten from excessive amounts of intense sun exposure for prolonged amounts of time. And once again, when using an AHA or exfoliant sun damage occurs much faster.. Pigmentation is also a factor. Lighter skin = greater chance for damage. But seriously people...The sun is great for the skin overall.. I'm not condoning going out and tanning all day but sun exposure is extremely healthy for your skin.

I can't believe people hide from the sun thinking it'll help their acne. It won't.

Go outside....

I can't believe some people actually think exposure to the sun is BAD for you. Yes, excessive amounts of the sun can be damaging(especially when using an AHA or any kind of exfoliant that strips your skin oils) but overall it is almost necessary to have a decent amount of sun exposure for healthy skin. Most people afraid of the sun most likely use tons of chemicals on their faces which makes them more prone. Understandable, but don't spread the misinformation about the sun being bad for you.

How exactly is staying cooped up inside hiding from the sun a healthy thing? ... There are way too many positives of getting sunlight. Not only for Vitamin D but the sun effects brain chemicals(i.e. serotonin) which can in turn help stress. And also, as someone said earlier helps peel and get rid of dead, dry and irrelevant skin cells on your face.

You know how long you need to be in the sun for UV rays to give you relevant skin damage? Skin cancer isn't simply gotten from going outside every day, it's gotten from excessive amounts of intense sun exposure for prolonged amounts of time. And once again, when using an AHA or exfoliant sun damage occurs much faster.. Pigmentation is also a factor. Lighter skin = greater chance for damage. But seriously people...The sun is great for the skin overall.. I'm not condoning going out and tanning all day but sun exposure is extremely healthy for your skin.

I can't believe people hide from the sun thinking it'll help their acne. It won't.

Go outside....

Anything to back up your claims? It's a fact that UVA rays cause a great amount of damage to the skin. There is plenty amount of research to back this up. This isn't just a matter of acne, this is about the health of skin overall. Also, no one said you had to stay indoors and hide from the sun - just make wise decisions when it comes to sun exposure and realize how beneficial sunscreens really are in the long run.

Anything to back up your claims? It's a fact that UVA rays cause a great amount of damage to the skin. There is plenty amount of research to back this up. This isn't just a matter of acne, this is about the health of skin overall. Also, no one said you had to stay indoors and hide from the sun - just make wise decisions when it comes to sun exposure and realize how beneficial sunscreens really are in the long run.

Oh, I know UV rays cause damage to the skin. I just think that the amount of time it takes for that damage to happen is highly exaggerated on these forums. I am fully aware it can give you serious damage when you are exposed to it a lot over large periods of time. But seriously, you can't leave out some of the extremely positive benefits it has and you can't generalize it being bad for X amount of time because everyone is different.

And no offense but judging by your signature, the damage that the sun gives you most likely pales in comparison to the amount of chemicals you're using on your face every day.

Oh, I know UV rays cause damage to the skin. I just think that the amount of time it takes for that damage to happen is highly exaggerated on these forums. I am fully aware it can give you serious damage when you are exposed to it a lot over large periods of time. I mean, you can spend more than 15 minutes out in the sun without any relevant damage being given, assuming you aren't stripping your face with AHA's every day. I always see people on these boards saying 5-10 minutes in the sun is dangerous and will make you age faster, break you out and give you wrinkles...I just hate misinformation like that, especially when moderate amounts of sun exposure could probably cure some people of acne and help tone their skin.

And no offense but judging by your signature, the damage that the sun gives you most likely pales in comparison to the amount of chemicals you're using on your face every day.

These "chemicals" have kept my skin clear and make my skin look healthy.. so yeah, I happen to love my chemicals :proud: And I love my sunscreen as well. I'm not going to into a lengthy debate over this because it's been done so many times before. So go ahead and have fun in the sun if you want, doesn't bother me one bit.

These "chemicals" have kept my skin clear and make my skin look healthy.. so yeah, I happen to love my chemicals :proud: And I love my sunscreen as well. I'm not going to into a lengthy debate over this because it's been done so many times before. So go ahead and have fun in the sun if you want, doesn't bother me one bit.

Precisely...And the sun can help the skin clear and look healthy as well but it will take it's toll overtime. That's why moderation is key.

Just like how over time those acids your putting on your face will put their toll on you so have fun with that I guess.

Precisely...And the sun can help the skin clear and look healthy as well but it will take it's toll overtime. That's why moderation is key.

Just like how over time those acids your putting on your face will put their toll on you so have fun with that I guess.

I don't think you really know what you're talking about, to be honest. What does my regimen have to do with the topic on hand? These "acids" are not harmful, and I don't see how they are relevant to the discussion.

Some sunlight will be good for you, but direct sunlight on your face won't be, especially if you are using chemicals on it, or on accutane or something.

And congratulations on winning the Wicked lottery Fiyero! I'm hoping to see that in 2009 so bad!

Benzoy peroxide will increase your chances of skin cancer if you wear it out in the sun.. I use to think nature is the best way to cure acne..but now i been getting some big ass zits, and now I beleve you need chemicals when it comes to that..

and btw, it is vitamin D. Sorry about that.

btw did our great great great parents die off of the sun because they dident have sun screen?

how did they survive from the sun?

wow this has become a fight. Look, I work in the sun for 6 hours everyday... Don't wear any sunscreen and my acne hasn't got worse.

But I also can't say it helps.

Well that clears things up...

Anyways, I don't know about you're great great grandparents, but I know some of our ancestors further back had darker skin and as people stayed inside more it naturally got lighter, so you don't need nearly as much sun as they did.

Excessive sun exposure will destroy your skin if you use benzoyl peroxide and do not take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. Believe me, I know from experience. Just several hours of unprotected exposure darkened my red marks significantly and resulted in a terrible breakout which lasted the duration of a week - not fun.

If you are using the Regimen, you must be careful when dealing with the sun. I cannot stress the importance of high-factor sunscreen and protective clothing enough.