Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sverd

A year off accutane, the worst case of severe cystic acne

I feel like Im in a nightmare. A year ago I stopped accutane after taking it for two months due to a ton of hair loss. Luckily this side effected subsided after about 6 months and the hair grew back, but the 2 months was enought to keep my skin relatively clear. Well I think the effect must have worn off or something because 2 months ago I woke one morning and surprisingly I had about 4 or 5 red bumps on both cheeks. I thought it was just a phase or allergic reaction but boy was I wrong, it all went downhill from there. I look in the mirror and I can't recognize myself, I have cystic and nodular acne all over both sides of my face; on my cheecks, along my jawline, and now beginning to creep up alongside my eyes. The thing is that my acne is now much much worse then it EVER was before taking accutane, I hardly leave my room anymore. Before this started I could control my acne a little bit by altering my diet but this new type of acne I'm getting is completely out of control. Does anyone have any thoughts on my situation and what could have caused this? I just graduated high school and almost turning 18, everyone myself included was certain I was past this stage in my life until 2 months ago.

edit: this info is probably useless but the areas on either side of my nose are completely clear as well as my forehead, my dad failed to lighten up the situation when he described my acne as a "beard".

I've already posted a couple of times at this forum because I continue to see people recommend Accutane and other prescription medications. These things don't work.

Some things you can do ...

1. Start by cleaning out your entire room.

Take everything out, dust everything and you may even want to consider painting the walls. If your room has a carpet remove that because it allows too much dust and dirt particles to collect. Tiles or hard wood floor would be better.

2. Buy an air purifier and allow it to run in your room.

3. Open the windows in your room and allow fresh air and sunlight to come in. If you don't have a window maybe you can trade places with someone else whom does at home.

4. Never shave with a T blade! It spreads the acne. Instead get something like "Philips Norelco 7110X Cordless Rechargeable Shaver"

5. Don't use alcohol on your acne. Use 5 % benzol peroxide.

I use both "Persa-gel" which use to be my prescription only but now it's over the counter and I use "Clearasil" Acne medication when I can't find "Persa-Gel" medication.

In your case you may wish to consider 10% and only put it on the problems areas after you take a shower and go to sleep. It's more effective when you are resting at night.

6. Don't share towels or beds.

7. Quit eating foods which contain high concentartion of iodine, butter, saturadated fats and sugar.

8. Drink a warm cup of green tea before going to sleep and putting on your medication cream.

I personally do some exercise 10 minutes before going to sleep to get my blood pumping. Some push-ups and some jumping jacks will do.

9. If you have curtains in your room get rid of those and replace it with shades.

10. Try different soaps which are not oily. Wash your face at least 3 times a day with mild soap such as the Neutrogena face wash.

Wash your face early morning, afternoon and before you go to sleep.

11. Control your anger by exercising! Stress can really make things worse. You need a way to release your pent up energy in a positive manner.

12. Do meditation. Learn to breath properly and relax your body. I personally have used the mediation content from http://www.meditainment.com and brainsync.com

http://www.meditainment.com is the better choice from my point of view.

13. Do Yoga! It's important to get the blood moving propely throughout the body.

14. Take your attention away from the problem and focus on what you wish the result to be.

Many people take mind power for granted or think it's a joke. Focus on the final outcome and visualize it everyday before falling asleep.

15. Eat "TOTAL" cereal for breakfast everyday with low fat lactose free milk. If you get tired of that then eat some low fat yogurt that are 70-80 calories.

However, just because you are eating nutritional foods does not mean you should have double or triple servings all at one shot.

16. If you have a juicer make fresh juice! Limes raspberry and cucumbers are the key foods to fighting acne from within. It goes directly to the source and helps clense your blood.

Stay away from orange juice because it's known to make acne worse for some people.

Stay away from foods which contain too much iodine because it's known to cause acne.

17. Drink ocean spray cranberry juice - clenses the body also

That's about it

Good Luck!

I've already posted a couple of times at this forum because I continue to see people recommend Accutane and other prescription medications. These things don't work.

I don't think you can just write off prescriptions and other medications. Some people have acne because of genetics, not because they are unhealthy or unclean. I think if people are looking to do something for mild acne, they should look at Dan's regimen, which also clearly states that washing your face 2 times a day is plenty, and any more than that is stressful to your skin.

I don't think there is any proof anywhere in the world that acne is linked to genetics. This is what drug companies want you to believe so that you spend tons of money on their products.

Acne is a directly caused by internal and external factors which are all based on nutrition and environment. DNA has nothing to do with ACNE other then the blood stream being responsible for moving nutrients and oxygen throughtout the bodys blood cells.

If it is passed down, it's passed down through the umbilical cord when a baby is growing within a womb. The umbilical cord is what allows the baby to develop based on what the mother eats which keeps the baby nourished.

Your genetic code is bult with your height, eye color, hair color and facial features. I don't think there is proof of any DNA strands which carry acne as part of the code. I'm pretty confident GOD did not design us to include acne within our DNA code. lol

Think of it this way. Your body has veins and these veins are connected all over your body to allow nutrients to be carried throughout the body. Fresh oxygen and nutrients are moved via your blood stream.

If you poison this river of life you become ill. This is when things like ACNE begin to impact the body.

Alright, you guys can get back to pitching your product.

I don't think there is any proof anywhere in the world that acne is linked to genetics. This is what drug companies want you to believe so that you spend tons of money on their products.

Acne is a directly caused by internal and external factors which are all based on nutrition and environment. DNA has nothing to do with ACNE other then the blood stream being responsible for moving nutrients and oxygen throughtout the bodys blood cells.

If it is passed down, it's passed down through the umbilical cord when a baby is growing within a womb. The umbilical cord is what allows the baby to develop based on what the mother eats which keeps the baby nourished.

Your genetic code is bult with your height, eye color, hair color and facial features. I don't think there is proof of any DNA strands which carry acne as part of the code. I'm pretty confident GOD did not design us to include acne within our DNA code. lol

Think of it this way. Your body has veins and these veins are connected all over your body to allow nutrients to be carried throughout the body. Fresh oxygen and nutrients are moved via your blood stream.

If you poison this river of life you become ill. This is when things like ACNE begin to impact the body.

Actually, there are plenty of studies linking acne to genetic factors. I think a lot less people would have acne if it were as simple to get rid of as dusting your room and eating healthy.

Actually, there are plenty of studies linking acne to genetic factors. I think a lot less people would have acne if it were as simple to get rid of as dusting your room and eating healthy.

No comment on the genetic stuff.

Try not cleaning your room for 5 years, and see how that contributes to your acne.

The little things add up dude. Don't belittle them.

I did not say cleaning your room is the cure all. Members continue to pick out little sentences and respond as if that were my entire answer.

It's one of the many factors which causes acne. Proper diet and exercise are key.

I'm pretty sure all the studies you are talking about were release by scientest and or doctors whom were paid off millions by major drug companies to keep boosting their sales.

Nature does not cause illness. Illness is caused by what we put into nature which doesn't belong.

No comment on the genetic stuff.

Try not cleaning your room for 5 years, and see how that contributes to your acne.

The little things add up dude. Don't belittle them.

I know that, and I'm not belittling it. I just don't think this alone will cure everyone's acne. I don't consider my diet uhealthy, and I keep my room very clean, I wash my face, blahdy blah yet I still have acne, whereas there are people who eat junk food and live in pigsties who have perfectly clear skin.

I did not say cleaning your room is the cure all. Members continue to pick out little sentences and respond as if that were my entire answer.

It's one of the many factors which causes acne. Proper diet and exercise are key.

I'm pretty sure all the studies you are talking about were release by scientest and or doctors whom were paid off millions by major drug companies to keep boosting their sales.

Nature does not cause illness. Illness is caused by what we put into nature which doesn't belong.

All I know is that I do exercise daily, eat a healthy diet, keep my stuff clean, wash my face, etc and I still have acne.

My heart goes out to you Rudolph. I also was on accutane (2 courses) and my acne came back also.

I did notice it was worse on one side of my face and this did improve when I started disinfecting my cell phone and changing my pillow case more often. However, I needed meds to help me get back on track. In your case I think you should go to a derm and see if they think you should go on another course of accutane or try something else.

I personally am now on Bactrim and using azalex. I was starting to get cystic pimples but now rarely. At this time my skin is looking so much better.

I realise many people are against using medications but in my case I feel it was the right choice.

I really hope you go to your dr. and see how they can help you.

are you serious. acne not linked to genes? u sir are an idiot

yo no one listen to this guy, he doesnt know what hes talking about.

I don't believe that for a minute. My mother and both of her sisters had acne, my grandfather had acne, my brother has acne, my cousins have acne. You will never convince me that acne cannot be linked to genetics. Acne is a disease, just like high blood pressure and high cholesterol. It is something that can be passed down from generation to generation and that is a FACT. I'm sure a lot of people here agree with me that healthy people can have acne, and people who just eat junk food all day and live in dirty houses can have perfectly clear faces. Acne CAN be caused by genetics. I am by no means saying that being clean can't help acne, but for some of us, it's not gonna be a miraculous cure. No one should have to live with acne, so by all means we should all do whatever works best for us, but what's good for one person might not be good for another!

I don't believe that for a minute. My mother and both of her sisters had acne, my grandfather had acne, my brother has acne, my cousins have acne. You will never convince me that acne cannot be linked to genetics.

The tendency to be acne prone is genetic. And just like with the other diseases you mentioned, lifestyle choices can worsen or keep it under control.

My heart goes out to you Rudolph. I also was on accutane (2 courses) and my acne came back also.

I did notice it was worse on one side of my face and this did improve when I started disinfecting my cell phone and changing my pillow case more often. However, I needed meds to help me get back on track. In your case I think you should go to a derm and see if they think you should go on another course of accutane or try something else.

I personally am now on Bactrim and using azalex. I was starting to get cystic pimples but now rarely. At this time my skin is looking so much better.

I realise many people are against using medications but in my case I feel it was the right choice.

I really hope you go to your dr. and see how they can help you.

Be careful with Bactrim, very toxic....Good luck.