Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crevin

could SODIUM be the major cause of acne?

First of all, there are studies that show that IODINE might be an acne trigger.

Second, I began to think about why acne is so much worse in western civilization than in other parts of the world (Food preservatives!? Mostly notable, SODIUM).

Look at the boxes of macaroni you are eating. Frozen pizzas. Bread. Or cheese. Or milk. Or ANYTHING. Just about everything is stacked with sodium.

For the past couple weeks, I've been buying ALL my food from Food Coops, New Seasons, and Whole Foods stores-- most of their products are not stacked with preservatives. I just bought a loaf of bread from Whole Foods that has 60 mg sodium per slice (stuff I used to buy at Safeway had 200 mg per slice!). I also bought tuna with NO sodium (normal can of reg white tuna from store has about 210 mg!). Yeah, it is going to cost a little bit more. But what have I noticed?

HUGE improvement in complexion. In fact, a much bigger improvement than any no-carb or dairy-free or gluten-free diet I have tried in the past.

Could it be that the McDonald's burgers and fries, which have THOUSANDS OF MG of sodium, are causing acne because of the sodium content and not so much the sugar?

Granted, I am not discounting sugar and saying it is OK. But, I can say that I've been eating ice cream on a daily basis (some natural stuff I bought at Whole Foods that has a really short shelf life, but has almost no sodium-- it tastes just as good, if not better than regular ice cream, but it does cost a bit more) and have had no breakouts.

Go look at some of the packaging of the foods you are eating...and look at the sodium content. It is amazing. All in all I think this might be the underlying reason why eating locally grown, whole foods is better for acne-sufferers-- no sodium (or at least, a lot less).

Please let me know your take on this and if anyone has had similar findings.

Thanks.

Sodium is essential for the body to function. Sea salt in moderate quantities can be very beneficial. Synthetically derived sodium is another story though.

I dont get an adequate intake of sodium and I have acne. The salt I take is all natural with some naturally occuring iodine.

oh, i know. i stopped buying my lovely marie callendar frozen dinners,

my favorite was fettichini alfredo and it had:

Sodium 1270mg 53% daily amount

crazy.

i would say getting an excess amount of sugar and sodium is bad so i wouldn't pin point it on one thing but i agree with you.

I cut out sodium and salt completly!!

For some reason when I eat salt/sodium, the very next day My left eye would be puffy..so I said the heck with it...and yes I might have an off balance in my elektrolytes..but I cant deal with puffy eyes..

It is amazing, every time I start eating any salt/sodium the VERY next day, my eyes are huge..

weird...So I drink water the whole day after, and no salt/sodium what sover, and bam back to my regular depuffed eyes.

The body is incredible.

There's probably a problem with typical added salt in refined foods, but sodium isn't bad by itself. Especially sea salt--but only true sea salt.

Another thing that tends to break people out is nuts...

and nuts are usually heavily salted!

However, if I buy nonsalted peanuts/nuts and make my own trail mix, no breakout :)

Another thing that tends to break people out is nuts...

and nuts are usually heavily salted!

However, if I buy nonsalted peanuts/nuts and make my own trail mix, no breakout :)

Don't jump to conclusions...some people have bad reactions to even unsalted nuts.

Also, peanuts aren't even true nuts.