Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunrise25

Dating with acne? Am I cheating him if I have makeup on all the time?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get your prespective on this --

I met this guy when I was working overseas and my face was flawless back then. We werent going to be in the same place again for a few months...

Sadly, my face broke out like crazy a month before we were gonna meet up. I managed to cover it well with make-up and just put my hair down to cover a large part of my face. We've been dating for a while, he said Im beautiful multiple times and I definitely like him a lot. BUT I cant seem to stop thinking that Im cheating him since he hasnt been seeing me without the makeup. I'm too scared to stay over because of that and just flinch whenever he comes to touch my face hoping he wont feel anything. I dont think he really notices it much and I know its much more apparent to me than anyone else.

I'm just wondering if anyone has felt the same way? How did you deal with it??

Thanks for the support!

I don't think you're cheating on him if you decide to wear makeup. If my girlfriend was wearing makeup to conceal acne I wouldn't have a problem with it. However I would hope that she feels comfortable enough around me to not wear it.

Most women wear makeup, especially foundation. That's why there are so many brands and types and its a huge market. Most guys are not shocked when a woman wears makeup and it shouldn't bother them if they are reasonable. While makeup can do wonders, people can still tell to a point when you're covering acne with it, so I'm sure he's already noticed that your skin isn't what it was, and he seems to be okay with it, right? If he hasn't noticed, then it's probably far less of an issue than you think it is. We don't zoom in on others' flaws the way we do to ourselves. When he touches your face he probably doesn't think much of a zit here & there.

A lot of posts have been made about this topic, and the general consensus is to gradually ease him into seeing you without makeup. I'm not normally an advocate for sleeping in makeup cuz it's bad for the skin, but I've slept with mineral makeup concealing some spots when I found it necessary to save my ego.

Try getting down from a full face of foundation to just a little concealer blended over the worst areas, and then maybe to nothing. It's also less of a shock for someone to gradually get used to you without makeup, as opposed to revealing it at once, from fully made up to bare faced. So that way, he'll still focus on what he thinks is beautiful about you, without focusing on your less than perfect complexion.

As it's been said, I don't think that it should be a problem to wear makeup around your boyfriend. The problem is that you are not comfortable being around him without it. I understand why of course, but... I had a girlfriend a few years back who I never saw once without makeup because she didn't want me to see her face. She even told me so, which was rather offensive to me because I had acne at the time and was like "Then why are you even going out with me!?" But even so I would not have been harsh or judgemental of her without makeup, it hurt me that she was so unwilling to let me see who she was beneath it all.

So yeah, you should get to a point where you are comfortable enough not to have to wear makeup.

Thank you for the replies everyone!

I absolutely know what you mean about getting to that comfort stage where I should be ok with letting him see me without the make-up. I'm guessing its because we're still in the early phase of the relationship that I dont want to 'risk' anything because of this. I'm hoping that in a little bit my face will improve and I can as you said, ease into it by starting to apply less and less makeup than none at all.

Its easier said than done but I do agree that we need to see if people who genuinely care about us can see beyond our imperfections.

no.. he's cheating you if he can't accept you for something as stupid and minor in a relationship as acne. So dont worry about it. you aint doing anything wrong.