Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Peppermint tea

This is interesting. I've always had peppermint tea on hand for upset stomachs, but I've never heard of it altering hormone levels.

I've never noticed any side effects, granted, I've never had two cups a day, every day....

Its great for 'funny tummy' though :)

The tea I use is peppermint, chamomile, and red/green Rooibos tea, just use 4 tea bags in one cup before bed. Peppermint helps digestion, chamomile aids sleep and the rooibos is a broad spectrum of antioxidents which help phase one of the liver in detoxing. Its cheap and easy.

Does anyone drink this and find that it helps with there skin at all? I keep trying different teas but havnt found one that exactly helps as of yet.

I've drunk loads of it. Never did me any noticeable good.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/12l57414p3035173/

Herbal teas have become popular as alternatives to caffeinated beverages during past two decades. However, toxicological studies of herbal teas have been limited and the safety of herbal teas thus remains unknown. We focused on the estrogenic activities of herbal teas since some of their ingredients are similar to those used in herbal remedies for menopause relief and therefore contain phytoestrogens. To investigate the potential estrogenic activity of extracts prepared from herbal tea mixtures commercially available and to provide useful information for the safety assessment of those products, we initially screened the estrogenic activity in extracts of 15 different herbal teas by an assay using recombinant yeast cells expressing the human estrogen receptor (YES). A distinct estrogenic activity was thus detected in the ethanolic extracts from four herbal tea mixtures. Licorice root was specified as a ingredient responsible for the estrogenic activity in those extracts. In contrast, the aqueous extracts of all herbal tea mixtures we tested exhibited distinct estrogenic activity in YES, thus suggesting the existence of various ingredients that contain estrogenic constituents extractable with water. Among them, the extract of peppermint tea exhibited the highest estrogenic activity. The estrogenic activity in extracts of herbal tea mixtures and specified ingredients were thereafter confirmed by a reporter assay system using transiently transfected HEK293 cells.

Anyone care to help me out? =]

I'm just using common supermarket brands. I have Celestial seasons right now. I sometimes buy yerba buena tea where they sell Mexican spices. Yerba Buena means spearmint.

Baby Pink

As far as I know they are from the same plant. The only difference is that spearmint part is weaker. I don't think one does a better anti-androgen blocking job, but I am not sure. I buy both types of tea and switch them off every other day or so because sometimes the peppermint tea is too strong and it is nice to have the spearmint. I think drinking this (1 cup/day) has helped my skin. I also use peppermint soap too.

so which is a better anti-androgen.. spearmint tea or peppermint tea?

i have done researches on spearmint tea findings.

And alot websites even BBC news have reported that the turkish finding have proven that Spearmint tea can help hirsutism.

Unfortunately i couldnt locate any spearmint tea in singapore, thus i try to take peppermint tea. really really hope that it will help. (some said that it has successfully helped them by reducing hair... hope i will success too)

If you dont mind, come and take a look at these:

Reuters News:

NEW YORK - A few mugs of spearmint tea could help women combat excess facial and body hair, Turkish researchers report.

Women with excess body hair, a condition known as hirsutism, who drank two cups of the herbal tea a day for five days showed significant reductions in their levels of free testosterone, Dr. Mehmet Numan Tamer and colleagues from Suleyman Demirel University in Isparta report.

Typical treatments for hirsutism target excess levels of male hormones, and include oral contraceptives to prevent the production of these hormones or drug treatment to block the body's response to them, Tamer and his team point out in the journal Phytotherapy Research.

The researchers previously noted that drinking peppermint tea seemed to lower the libido in some men, which prompted them to investigate spearmint as an anti-hirsutism treatment. Hirsutism is characterized by excessive hair growth on the face, breasts and belly, and affects about 5 percent of women. It is thought to be related to the body's level of androgens (male hormones).

The researchers had 21 women with hirsutism drink a tea prepared from a heaping teaspoon of dried spearmint leaves twice daily. Twelve of the women had polycystic ovary syndrome, while the rest had hirsutism with known cause.

After five days, the women's levels of free testosterone (the biologically active form) declined, although their total testosterone level stayed the same. Women's levels of luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, and estrogen rose, while their triglyceride levels dropped significantly.

Women with high male hormone levels may also have high levels of triglycerides, insulin resistance, and obesity, the researchers note.

"Spearmint can be an alternative to antiandrogenic treatment for mild hirsutism. However, further studies are needed for testing the reliability and availability of spearmint as a drug for hirsutism," the researchers conclude.

BBC News:

Spearmint tea may help to control excessive hair growth in women, say Turkish researchers.

Drinking the tea twice a day, reduced levels of male sex hormones, which can cause excessive hair growth (hirsutism) on the stomach, breasts and face.

Treatment for hirsutism, usually involves drugs to reduce the levels of androgen or male hormones in the body.

Writing in Phytotherapy Research, the Turkish scientists said spearmint could be a good natural alternative therapy. Hirsutism is rarely caused by a serious illness but excess hair growth in women can cause distress or embarrassment.

In some cases, hirsutism may be a result of an underlying medical disorder, such as polycystic ovary syndrome.

All women produce small amounts of the male sex (or androgen) hormones, which includes testosterone, but it is the over production of the hormones that leads to excessive hair growth.

According to the researchers, extracts of spearmint plant (Mentha spicata Labiatae) had been reported to reduce libido in men in a town called Isparta in southwest Turkey, possibly due to reduced androgen hormone levels.

To look at the effects in women, 21 volunteers with hirsutism, 12 of whom had polycystic ovary syndrome, were given a cup of spearmint tea twice a day for five days in the follicular (when the ovarian follicle develops) phase of their menstrual cycle.

They made the tea by pouring a cup (250ml) of boiling water over one heaped teaspoon (5g) of dried leaves, and leaving it for five to 10 minutes.

Testosterone

The researchers found a significant decrease in free (active) testosterone in the blood and an increase in several female hormones including follicle-stimulating hormone.

However, there was no decrease in overall testosterone levels, suggesting that more of the hormone was bound to protein in the bloodstream and was inactive.

Spearmint could affect the metabolism of hormones such as testosterone or directly affect synthesis of androgen hormones, the researchers suggest.

More work is needed to test the reliability of spearmint in treating mild hirsutism, warned lead researcher, Professor Mehmet Numan Tamer.

"Current therapies use either oral contraceptives to suppress androgen production, or medications such as spironolactone that prevent the body responding to androgen - but this study shows that spearmint could be a good natural alternative for women who have mild symptoms.

"We now need to do further studies to test the reliability of this finding, and to see the extent to which the reduced androgens do help women with mild hirsutism," she said.

Professor Richard Sharpe, principal investigator at the MRC Human Reproductive Sciences Unit in Edinburgh said the study was yet another indication that naturally occurring plant products can have an effect on human hormones.

But he warned that women suffering from hirsutism or polycystic ovary syndrome needed proper medical treatment.

"It's a relatively modest change and they haven't shown in this study if it would have any consequence for the women.

"For a lot of plant derived compounds, it's difficult to take it from this type of general observation to study the mechanisms and finding what the active compound is. "If you suffer from hirsutism or polycystic ovary syndrome you would want to get a thorough work up and conventional treatment, as it depends what it causing it," he said

I love peppermint tea. It's refreshing and really good for digestion. Like if you've eaten a big meal, peppermint tea afterward is great. I'm not sure that it has cleared my skin but it can be included as part of your water intake, like all herbal teas, so that's a bonus.

Never heard this thing about the estrogen; I guess bigger boobs wouldn't be a bad side effect! Never heard any bad press bout peppermint tea either. U know what though...someone digs up a bad story about everything sooner or later! I think u have to ignore some stories..

so - i've been drinking spearmint tea for a whole month now hoping that it would decrease the amount of androgen in my body only to stupidly find out that it was 'increasing' estrogen instead - you see, most of you think that testosterone is the culprit and the problem to the increase in your androgen - but that's actually incorrect - after doing years of research on hormonal balancing i have found that most people are actually suffering from estrogen dominance rather than 'testosterone' dominance - and this doesn't mean that your blood tests are going to show up 'high in estrogen' - estrogen dominance means you have TOO MUCH estrogen in 'ratio' to progesterone.

read up kids & throw that spearmint tea away:

The symptoms and conditions associated with estrogen dominance are (& a symptom not on this list - is ACNE):

Acceleration of the aging process

Allergies, including asthma, hives, rashes, sinus congestion

Autoimmune disorders such as lupus erythematosis and thyroiditis, and possibly Sjoegren's disease

Breast cancer

Breast tenderness

Cervical dysplasia

Cold hands and feet as a symptom of thyroid dysfunction

Copper excess

Decreased sex drive

Depression with anxiety or agitation

Dry eyes

Early onset of menstruation

Endometrial (uterine) cancer

Fat gain, especially around the abdomen, hips and thighs

Fatigue

Fibrocystic breasts

Foggy thinking

Gallbladder disease

Hair Loss [this refers to the hair on the head, some women might experience excess hair growth on the body which might still be considered normal, but may in actual fact not be]

Headaches

Hypoglycemia

Increased blood clotting (increasing risk of strokes)

Infertility

Irregular menstrual periods

Irritability

Insomnia

Magnesium deficiency

Memory loss

Mood swings

Osteoporosis

Polycystic ovaries

Premenopausal bone loss

PMS

Prostate cancer

Sluggish metabolism

Thyroid dysfunction mimicking hypothyroidism

Uterine cancer

Uterine fibroids

Water retention, bloating

Zinc deficiency

^Actually, it's been working quite well for me. Hair growth has become a lot less coarse. And the only symptoms in that list that apply to me, headaches, fatigue, sinus, can be attributed to many other things. Candida and food intolerances for example. And I have virtually no PMS symptoms. In pretty much all our prior estrogen dominance discussions, I believe major PMS issues were named as a primary symptom.

^Actually, it's been working quite well for me. Hair growth has become a lot less coarse. And the only symptoms in that list that apply to me, headaches, fatigue, sinus, can be attributed to many other things. Candida and food intolerances for example. And I have virtually no PMS symptoms. In pretty much all our prior estrogen dominance discussions, I believe major PMS issues were named as a primary symptom.

"Too much estrogen in the body leads to production of yeast. There has been a lot of experiments conducted that show estrogen imbalances can affect the balance of bacteria." - hence estrogen dominance is linked to candida anyways.

spearmint tea will slow down the growth of your hair, just like the pill will - because they both increase or give you more estrogen - but this doesn't mean you're getting rid of the hair, you're just slowing down it's growth rate because you've reduced androgen - in the long run, if you have too much estrogen in your body, once you stop taking medication or teas to suppress your androgen production, the more estrogen you have in your body will ultimately lead to more androgen production anyways - it's an ongoing cycle... However, if you do find that spearmint tea is giving you incredible results, than that's good news & I truly hope it continues!

spearmint tea will slow down the growth of your hair, just like the pill will - because they both increase or give you more estrogen - but this doesn't mean you're getting rid of the hair, you're just slowing down it's growth rate because you've reduced androgen - in the long run, if you have too much estrogen in your body, once you stop taking medication or teas to suppress your androgen production, the more estrogen you have in your body will ultimately lead to more androgen production anyways - it's an ongoing cycle... However, if you do find that spearmint tea is giving you incredible results, than that's good news & I truly hope it continues!

Birth control pills, even very high estrogen bcps, never helped me. The tea did. Also, the studies cited indicate that the women drinking the tea had reduced levels of free testosterone. And of course it's an ongoing cycle. Everything is. And everything is inter-related.

And like I said, everything I've ever seen about estrogen dominance, major menstrual issues were a primary symptom. I do not have such issues.

Also, if you are progesterone deficient, you should look into adrenal fatigue. And you could worry about your liver so it can do it's job removing excess estrogen and androgens.

But I do agree that anyone with severe PMS issues should be looking into estrogen dominance rather than androgens. Read up on the DIM and progesterone cream threads. Even if those aren't the answers, there's good info there.

Of course, the same good diet helps both estrogen dominance and excess androgens, partly by strengthening the liver and adrenals so they can do their jobs. Since it's nearly impossible or just too expensive to determine what your imbalance really is, I think good diet is the best way to go.

------------

More study links:

Mint Tea study on testosterone in male rats.

http://www.goldjournal.net/article/S0090-4...0418-2/abstract

Effects of spearmint tea on androgen levels in women with hirsutism

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal...=1&SRETRY=0

I am a guy and think I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I heard about a month ago that Peppermint tea cures this condition on the radio. I have taken 2 to 3 cups of this a day for about 4 weeks. It greatly reduced my stomach aches....

But, I started to notice that my facial hair was starting to be reduced. Then my skin started to get a lot softer, my lips more puffy and sensitive breasts. I went on the internet and found a few articles that said that the herb reduces testosterone. This is not good at all. After about a month, my facial hair is reduced about 70%

My question is, will things return to normal, now that I have stopped drinking this herb?

Joe

My question is, will things return to normal, now that I have stopped drinking this herb?

There's no way to tell, unfortunately. Other antiandrogens (namely Propecia) claim that their side effects cease after the drug is discontinued, so it might be the same for peppermint. I'd say your chances are good, but I suggest cutting out all peppermint from your diet and environment if you haven't already.

I am a guy and think I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I heard about a month ago that Peppermint tea cures this condition on the radio. I have taken 2 to 3 cups of this a day for about 4 weeks. It greatly reduced my stomach aches....

But, I started to notice that my facial hair was starting to be reduced. Then my skin started to get a lot softer, my lips more puffy and sensitive breasts. I went on the internet and found a few articles that said that the herb reduces testosterone. This is not good at all. After about a month, my facial hair is reduced about 70%

Joe

Oh my goodness!! Those effects are incredible. What the hell!

I cannot believe that a simple tea could do this, drinking tea gives you breasts damn!

Anyway I hope you get back to normal. Does anyone know if peppermint tea increase estrogen in men? What are it's effects? Also could there be benefits from drinking say a cup 5 days a week, without the negative side effects.

"This week, my attention was caught by a study which suggests that spearmint tea may offer some assistance to hirsute women . The study found that hirsute women drinking two cups of spearmint tea for just five days saw significant lowering in blood levels of ‘free’ testosterone – the form of testosterone that is metabolically active in the body."

----Peppermint tea could prove to be more potent with anti-androgens than spearmint tea. Both have anti-androgen effects. Many people may want to drink 2 cups of spearmint or peppermint tea a day after reading this article. I believe that you should begin with 2 cups of these teas, but gradually reduce to a cup a day with time. Men SHOULD NOT drink an excess amount of peppermint/spearmint tea unless they want to reduce their beard or have a bigger bust.

"In my practice from time to time I m consulted by women who complain of excess hairiness. Many of them tell a story of finding hairs sprouting in places where they weren’t there before such as their chins and around their nipples. This condition – the medical term for which is ‘hirsutism’ – is often related to higher-than-normal ‘male’ hormones known as ‘androgens’, of which testosterone is the most notorious."

"Androgen hormones interact with androgen receptors in their two most potent forms - testosterone and DHT. In some cells, androgen receptors have a direct interaction with the testosterone. While in some other cells, testosterone is first converted into DHT by the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase.

If you have an excess of androgen you may be experiencing these:

Effects of testosterone

It causes the growth of beard and axillary or body hair.

The effects of testosterone in childhood and puberty -

The following effects are visible among both males and females -

Increased oiliness of hair

Pubarche (appearance of pubic hair)

Axillary hair growth

The effects of testosterone in the late pubertal period -

The following testosterone effects are visible during the late pubertal period among males. They occur in women after prolonged periods of excessive levels of free testosterone.

Extension of public hair growth area to thighs and up towards the umbilicus (belly button)

Growth of facial hair (sideburns, beard, moustache)

Growth of chest hair, periareolar hair, and perianal hair."

--------I have hiurtism and I have been taking two cups of peppermint tea daily. Within the first week i have seen a decrease in facial hair after plucking. I think plucking hair will be better than shaving. I have seen no hair appear back at all since i plucked it since the beginning of this week. I can already feel the increased bust side, which could be a negative or postive side effect, depending on who you are. As for body hair I'm still tracking it. It has eased headaches and softened bowels. However, I have mild acidity problems. People with acid reflux, or Gastroesphogal Reflux Disease should generally stay away from this tea, but i am continuing to drink it

Edited by moonrice

it should have no effect on the hair on your head because androgenic hair growth has nothing to do with the growth of the hair on your hair

it should have no effect on the hair on your head because androgenic hair growth has nothing to do with the growth of the hair on your hair

Not entirely true.

If someone has androgenic alopecia, and if the peppermint tea is reducing androgens, then less androgens will reach the sensitive hair follicles. It may not cause hair to grow back, but it might stop as much of it from falling out.

gMARIAs-Then, does that mean peppermint tea might be helpful for those experiencing hair loss or thinning from bcp and other issues?

Guest mariacne

Peppermint Tea seems to be such a powerful anti-androgen, but I've never heard about it before - I really think this could be a life-saver for all women who suffer from acne, excess hair and male pattern baldness. I've tried Saw Palmetto in the past and it did nothing (and it was so expensive) But I'm hoping this will turn out good. I think if you take Zinc with the tea, then you will also lower your estrogen so if you're male - maybe you won't get the feminine side effects? I've read aswell, that the Mint Leaves are completely different to Mint Oil, so that makes sense, because I've tried the oil before with no results.