Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Peppermint tea

Does anyone drink this and find that it helps with there skin at all? I keep trying different teas but havnt found one that exactly helps as of yet.

It's an anti-androgen, and will raise estrogen. It did clear up my skin when I drank it, but I wasn't comfortable with the side-effects of the raised estrogen (larger chest, etc.) -- and I'm a girl. Generally, males would want to avoid things that raise estrogen... unless they don't mind the feminizing effects.

Wow..I did not know that ..I might buy me some tonight..lol..

Forget surgery..lol..

No but seriously, peppermint in general makes me sleepy, and calms me down..I have been wanting to try a tea...specifically peppermint.

leah, besides the wonders of it clearing your skin...and larger busts(IMO)..LOL

What other side effects did you notice?

were they bad?

Wow..I did not know that ..I might by me some tonight..lol..

Forget surgery..lol..

No but seriosly, peppermint in general makes me sleepy, and calms me down..I have been wanting to try a tea...specifically peppermint.

leah, besides the wonders of it clearing your skin...and larger busts(IMO)..LOL

What other side effects did you notice?

were they bad?

My menstrual cramps were a bit worse than normal, and I had some digestive problems. It wasn't absolutely horrible, and the clear skin and reduced hirsutism was nice, but I'd rather get to the root of my problems (my problem is not low estrogen).

Oh okay..thanks leah..

mine is too much tetesterone...well I assume, being..I have hirsutism,and missing cycles?

Did it make your skin more oily, or drier..or indiffernt?

I mean, like some people say that teas make skin more oily?

I've heard accounts of peppermint oil having some drastic anti-androgen effects, even permanently getting rid of facial hair follicles.

Oh okay..thanks leah..

mine is too much tetesterone...well I assume, being..I have hirsutism,and missing cycles?

Did it make your skin more oily, or drier..or indiffernt?

I mean, like some people say that teas make skin more oily?

It made my skin dryer, as pretty much all anti-androgens will do.

Have you not had your hormones tested?? With hirsutism, missing periods, acne... you really, really should! You don't necessarily have high testosterone/androgens, but you definitely could... or some other hormonal imbalance.

I've heard accounts of peppermint oil having some drastic anti-androgen effects, even permanently getting rid of facial hair follicles.

Hmm... I wouldn't think it could be permanent. Usually with anti-androgens, they stop working as soon as you stop taking them. They also often wear off even if you do keep taking them.

When I went last yr, with these same exact symptoms...the doctors said "was fine", and then prescribed me BCPS, that I did not take...

He prescribed them for me because I told him I was missing cycles, for long amnts of time..

however..he said the usual..that it was 'normal",

So I am pretty much wingin it...until I can see an NATROPATH, who specializes in women's hormonal issues.//

However with MY symptoms, it does not take a genius to figure out what my diagnoses more then likely is.

Could peppermint tea affect males hormones? By drinking how much?

And what tea doesnt affect hormones? Chamomile?

Chamomile shouldn't, neither should any of the teas made from camila siensis or however you spell it (green, black, oolong, and white). There's also rooibos.

hmm maybe I should switch to peppermint tea instead of rooibos! how much do you have to drink to get the anti-androgen effects? If my doc won't prescribe me spiro I'd like to drink the peppermint tea along with taking yasmin :)

Three cups a day? or more?

I drink a peppermint/rooibos combo daily. I haven't seen any dramatic effects from it, I mainly drink it because I like the taste. I buy the herbs in bulk for cheap and brew up like a half a gallon at a time and chill it. Stevia extract makes it delicious. Having a jug of it in the fridge encourages me to get more water in my system.

hmm maybe I should switch to peppermint tea instead of rooibos! how much do you have to drink to get the anti-androgen effects? If my doc won't prescribe me spiro I'd like to drink the peppermint tea along with taking yasmin :)

I was only drinking 2 cups a day I think. And it only took about a week or less to see results. It is quite a bit like spiro, in the way that it affects your hormones.

I drink peppermint tea all the time (just because I love the taste) and haven't noticed any side effects. I mean, mint is supposed to help settle upset stomachs, which I'm prone to, but as far as acne or my boobs go, I haven't noticed anything.

OK, wasn't it Spearmint tea specifically that was anecdotally effective as an anti-androgen??

I think they are similar enough that they both work.... or maybe spearmint is more effective, I'm not sure.

I was only drinking 2 cups a day I think. And it only took about a week or less to see results. It is quite a bit like spiro, in the way that it affects your hormones.

Great! I'll probably do three cups a day actually. I've been doing one but I'll start drinking more. The doc wants me to be on Yasmin for over a month before adding spiro so I may get it in a couple weeks, we'll see

does it really increase estrogen production? cuz im a guy, and therefore wouldnt drink this if it does in fact increase estrogen..... so can someone tell me if this is fact or what

does it really increase estrogen production? cuz im a guy, and therefore wouldnt drink this if it does in fact increase estrogen..... so can someone tell me if this is fact or what

Spearmint tea may help treat excess body hair

Last Updated(Beijing Time):2007-02-24 10:28

A few mugs of spearmint tea could help women combat excess facial and body hair, Turkish researchers report.

Women with excess body hair, a condition known as hirsutism, who drank two cups of the herbal tea a day for five days showed significant reductions in their levels of free testosterone, Dr. Mehmet Numan Tamer and colleagues from Suleyman Demirel University in Isparta report.

Typical treatments for hirsutism target excess levels of male hormones, and include oral contraceptives to prevent the production of these hormones or drug treatment to block the body's response to them, Tamer and his team point out in the journal Phytotherapy Research.

The researchers previously noted that drinking peppermint tea seemed to lower the libido in some men, which prompted them to investigate spearmint as an anti-hirsutism treatment. Hirsutism is characterized by excessive hair growth on the face, breasts and belly, and affects about 5 percent of women. It is thought to be related to the body's level of androgens (male hormones).

The researchers had 21 women with hirsutism drink a tea prepared from a heaping teaspoon of dried spearmint leaves twice daily. Twelve of the women had polycystic ovary syndrome, while the rest had hirsutism with no known cause.

After five days, the women's levels of free testosterone (the biologically active form) declined, although their total testosterone level stayed the same. Women's levels of luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, and estrogen rose, while their triglyceride levels dropped significantly.

Women with high male hormone levels may also have high levels of triglycerides, insulin resistance, and obesity, the researchers note.

"Spearmint can be an alternative to antiandrogenic treatment for mild hirsutism. However, further studies are needed for testing the reliability and availability of spearmint as a drug for hirsutism," the researchers conclude.

http://en.ce.cn/Life/health/200702/24/t200..._10490025.shtml

So, I've been noticing for several weeks now that growth of androgenic hair has been slowing down. I at first attributed it to the NAC and GLA I had begun taking, but now I'm thinking it's the spearmint or peppermint teas I've been drinking. So about a week ago, I decided to increase to 2 cups a day and I think the growth is even slower.

Of course, it could be both.