Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sahara

Those of you with oily hair - how do you manage it?

Question is in the title, what do you do to manage your oily hair? I'm running out of ideas with mine :doubt: Hate it, hate it, HATE IT. :wall:

Well, for most of my life, I've had to wash my hair every morning. I also just washed the scalp and just conditioned from about the ears down. And if it still started to get oily before the end of the day, I put it in barrettes so it's not so stringy and greasy around my face and also to keep my hands out of it, which just makes it worse.

Any day I was unable to wash my hair in the morning, was one miserable day.

However, my hair isn't oily anymore since my diet changes. I now wash it every 2-3 days. See sig.

Thanks for the reply, the problem with my hair is that if I wash it every morning, it starts looking oily again before the end of the day. It looks awful, I hoped Dianette would help (which it has slightly), but I'm still stuck with the oily hair look.

Anyone else?

Question is in the title, what do you do to manage your oily hair? I'm running out of ideas with mine :doubt: Hate it, hate it, HATE IT. :wall:

I shampoo my hair twice, condition it and then when I get out of the shower, I wrap it up in a turban for a few minutes, unwrap it and I gently brush it, and lastly I use Redkin hair drying lotion. The lotion makes my hair silky soft :)

I wash mine each morning with a regular shampoo (not one with conditioner added). I do condition my ends only. And after towel drying I spritz it with a light leave-in conditioner by VO5. This is very watery and mostly for detangling and smoothing split ends. It doesn't add any weight or oily shine either.

But yea, I can't skip a day of washing my hair or it's just slimy.

it's hard making the adjustment but washing your hair gently helps. i've heard of not washing it every day, but my hair is so oily that it really has to be washed every morning. just get your scalp really good and let the rest of the soap run through your hair. about once a week (or less if you don't need it) use a deep-conditioning treatment and then wash your hair normally, don't follow up with conditioner. you hair will be kinda greasy for a little while, but just put it into a ponytail until it adjusts itself. oh, and when you condition (daily), only put conditioner on the portion of your hair that would hang out of a low ponytail

Thanks for the reply, the problem with my hair is that if I wash it every morning, it starts looking oily again before the end of the day. It looks awful, I hoped Dianette would help (which it has slightly), but I'm still stuck with the oily hair look.

Put it up in barrettes or pony tail or something and keep you hands out of it.

anyone ever tried dry hair shampoo? its a spray, i use batiste and its only 2 pounds in the uk, you just spray it at your roots and it soaks up oil and lightens the roots. i only wash my hair every other day but by the end of the second its normally getting a little oily and i find if i spray some of this it totally livens it up and dries the oil. i think you can use talcum powder as well but i dont think its as good. may be a good thing to try as ive heard that washing your hair too often makes it greasy? i find my hair tends to even itself out, if i wash every day for a while it will start to be oily and need washing every day, if i only do it every other, eventually it balances out to only need washing then. could just be me though!

anyone ever tried dry hair shampoo? its a spray, i use batiste and its only 2 pounds in the uk, you just spray it at your roots and it soaks up oil and lightens the roots. i only wash my hair every other day but by the end of the second its normally getting a little oily and i find if i spray some of this it totally livens it up and dries the oil. i think you can use talcum powder as well but i dont think its as good. may be a good thing to try as ive heard that washing your hair too often makes it greasy? i find my hair tends to even itself out, if i wash every day for a while it will start to be oily and need washing every day, if i only do it every other, eventually it balances out to only need washing then. could just be me though!

The only place I've seen that around here is at one of the nursing homes I worked at. I wonder if there are better ones out there available in the US? :think:

Bumble and bumble or whatever they are called has one. And you can use talcum or corn starch powder, provided you can get it all combed out. I've seen some people with curly, thick, dark, latina hair here say they do it and it works great for them.

Gosh, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I hate having to wash my hair every day, because then it takes so long to dry it and style it before work in the morning. I wish that I only had to wash a few times a week. I had always felt not normal for washing every day, but I have to, otherwise my hair is limp and lifeless and stringy.

The only thing is I have colored hair. So washing every day makes the color fade and then I have to get it colored more often, and now my hair is getting damaged, BUT it's still oily. sigh!

try a volumizing shampoo/conditioner. you need to keep your hair moisturized, or you'll get an excess of oil trying to make up for the dryness. if it gets too greasy, just condition the ends. i also recommend buying your shampoo/conditioner from a salon, rather than places like wal-mart or target.

good luck!

Random, but has the Dianette helped with your acne?

I've only been on Dianette for just over a month, so it hasn't really had chance to work fully yet. I have noticed a very slight improvement though already, which for my skin is a miracle.

try a volumizing shampoo/conditioner. you need to keep your hair moisturized, or you'll get an excess of oil trying to make up for the dryness. if it gets too greasy, just condition the ends. i also recommend buying your shampoo/conditioner from a salon, rather than places like wal-mart or target.

good luck!

I do use a volume shampoo at present (tresseme [sp?]) which seems to work best at the mo. I do avoid conditioner though, perhaps I should start using it.

For the person who mentioned dry shampoo, yes, I've tried it. It made my hair horrifically oily, I'm talking about it looking oily maybe 2hrs after getting out of the shower.

Seems like the only thing to do is wash every morning and hope for the best? It drives me mad washing in a morning before going out as it takes so long to dry - but I'm in a catch 22 when it comes to how to have it cut. Either keep it long and have it take too long to dry, but be able to scrape it back in a pony if it is oily; or have it cut much shorter so it dries quicker, is easier to wash and manage and looks better but if it does get oily I'm screwed 'cos I can't tie it back fully. Why can't I just have nice hair like everyone else? :doubt::wall:

Any more ideas welcome.

I wash mine each morning with a regular shampoo (not one with conditioner added). I do condition my ends only. And after towel drying I spritz it with a light leave-in conditioner by VO5. This is very watery and mostly for detangling and smoothing split ends. It doesn't add any weight or oily shine either.

But yea, I can't skip a day of washing my hair or it's just slimy.

I love that V05 Conditioner. It helps during the summer.

I would recommend Aussie products. They really clean but also condition. They work wonders for my thick, oily hair.

Guest kiwikali

frederic fekkai apple cider clarifying shampoo

and uhm take a shower everyday duh

oh and oscar blandi pronto dry shampoo is great when you're in a hurry

i notice that if i play or touch my hair heaps, it gets dirty really quickly.

also, it is SO hard to do, but it's actually better if you can wash your hair less. i know it's gross and horrible to not wash it for a week, but it teaches your scalp to produce the right amount of oils. washing with shampoo every day strips your hair of its natural oils and your body goes into overdrive to produce more - it's a cycle. if you can break out of it by trying to shampoo only twice a week (other times wash just with water) it can make a real difference.

it's definitely worth a try, trust me.

NOT washing it is the key, like polka dot socks said. It's hard and sounds so wrong, but it really does work.

BUT:

Something that ALWAYS helped me was taking lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and just pouring it on my hair and scalp, and leave it in for a while, and then rinse it out. Your hair will feel so soft!

If you can't wait a week, wash your hair every three days for a while until your oil glands calm down.

After that I used to shampoo my hair with "clean" shampoos, that stripped the oils. But now I'm using Head and Shoulders. I always try to change my shampoo after I've used a bottle.

Argh I have the same problem! During the school year I have to wake up around 2 hours before school starts... which means waking up at 5. D= I must wash my hair every morning, and its sucks because my thick, down-to-my-waist hair takes forever to dry even with a friggn hairdryer.

A shampoo that has really helped me is Herbal Essences Degunkify Deep Cleaning Shampoo. Smells great AND it tingles your scalp haha. Too bad its hard to find now... But Herbal Essences Drama Clean does a good job at stopping the oiliness.

Oh, and if your hair gets oily throughout the day, sprinkle some Baby Powder on your scalp. Sounds weird I know, but let it sit for a bit and comb out the whiteness. You're hair will look just like you took a shower AND you'll have extra volume.