Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rosie7

Have more acne than ever at 2.5 months on Accutane...

I have been on accutane for 2.5 months. I started on 20mg a day. My acne never really got any better...got worse. 3 weeks ago, I upped to 40mg a day. And I have the worst acne I've ever had in my life. Is this going to get better?! I was in the sun for a week or so, with suncreen on, because I had outdoor water polo games. I'm trying to think of things I could have done to make it this bad...

I put Clindoxyl on at night before bed.

I try not to touch my face.

I am in the water a lot.

Anyone have advice?

I have a lot of whiteheads, no bad side effects...just the dryness yadayadayada.

Help!

Oh, and I don't wanna go out in public.

You are 2.5months into a 6 month program. It takes time.

I looked horrible in the beginning.. worse than taking Accutane. Keep waiting.

And yous shouldn't be using topicals.

accutane made me look worse in the first 4 months from when i started. it does this with majority of users as it is pushing all the crap out of your face. only in month 5 did i start to clear significantly.

and using topicals on tane is not a good idea because your skin is thinning down and becoming more fragile. topicals particularly, bp are highly irritating by nature, but add accutane to the equation and you are asking for disaster unless your skin is made of steel.

accutane made me look worse in the first 4 months from when i started. it does this with majority of users as it is pushing all the crap out of your face. only in month 5 did i start to clear significantly.

and using topicals on tane is not a good idea because your skin is thinning down and becoming more fragile. topicals particularly, bp are highly irritating by nature, but add accutane to the equation and you are asking for disaster unless your skin is made of steel.

K thanks! I'll relax on the bp. Did you use a good foundation while on it? I have this Neutrogena acne fighting stuff that has a bit of Salicylic acid in it...you think that's ok?

Are you 100% sure? Thats why is good to keep before & after pics...anyways I understand how you feel, the very good healing started for me at 3 & 4 month with always one huge zit. You still have 3.5 months to go, thats more than half, and Accutane always does is best at a cumulative pase, do in the end, it will do more, derms even go as far as saying your skin may improve even more post tane, but if you really need it a course could be extended to about 8 months, and some people even need second courses. It just depends on the person.

Are you 100% sure? Thats why is good to keep before & after pics...anyways I understand how you feel, the very good healing started for me at 3 & 4 month with always one huge zit. You still have 3.5 months to go, thats more than half, and Accutane always does is best at a cumulative pase, do in the end, it will do more, derms even go as far as saying your skin may improve even more post tane, but if you really need it a course could be extended to about 8 months, and some people even need second courses. It just depends on the person.

I just feel bad...like I was too vain. I didn't have horrendous acne... I always had stuff under my skin I could pop if I wanted...and I'd get those under zits... and break outs here and there... but it wasn't all over my face. Do you think that makes it a mistake to have gone on it? Thanks...

K thanks! I'll relax on the bp. Did you use a good foundation while on it? I have this Neutrogena acne fighting stuff that has a bit of Salicylic acid in it...you think that's ok?

i'd avoid any product with acid in it. i use everyday minerals and its pretty decent. you want to be as gentle as possible with your face on tane.

I just feel bad...like I was too vain. I didn't have horrendous acne... I always had stuff under my skin I could pop if I wanted...and I'd get those under zits... and break outs here and there... but it wasn't all over my face. Do you think that makes it a mistake to have gone on it? Thanks...

No.. that's how I was.. but I was offered Accutane so I took it. Why the hell not? Yeah I was mostly blackheads and uninflamed spots, with breakouts here and there.. but why should you have to suffer if Accutane will rid all of it? You just gotta realize, up until you are finished, you won't be happy with your skin. Just accept it.

Hi Rosie,

I see you added me as your friend! I'm the medical esthetician who works for a dermatologist. Okay, I read your post and see that you're a polo player (my daughter was a competitive swimmer for years then went to H20 polo and loved it). I also see you're doing Clindamycin? Is that correct? Did your derm prescribe that for you to use while on Accutane? That's surprising. And the fact that you're in the pool a lot is going to really dry out your already drying skin.

On Accutane your skin gets worse before it gets better. I usually don't see major improvement until month four. Hang in there.

You should be wearing sunscreen FOR SURE, daily. All sunscreens are not created equal. I recommend Elta MD Sport SPF 50. 9% zince oxide (zinc is what you need and most over the counter sunscreens don't have it or not enough). It's water resistant. I recommend that before you practice. On a daily basis you need to be wearing a sunscreen of at least 30 and either the Elta MD 40 with daily moisturizer or the Elta 45 Shield is awesome. You can go to www.eltamd.com to check it out. We sell it in out dermatologist office.

I'd love to answer any questions you might have but basically on Accutane, you want to do gentle cleansing with your hands, no picking (your skin will tear easily), moisturizing with an oil-free product and protecting with a great sunscreen (like the ones I mentioned above). That's it. Your Clindamycin is throwing me. I've never heard of anyone being on topical meds while on Accutane.

Hi Rosie,

I see you added me as your friend! I'm the medical esthetician who works for a dermatologist. Okay, I read your post and see that you're a polo player (my daughter was a competitive swimmer for years then went to H20 polo and loved it). I also see you're doing Clindamycin? Is that correct? Did your derm prescribe that for you to use while on Accutane? That's surprising. And the fact that you're in the pool a lot is going to really dry out your already drying skin.

On Accutane your skin gets worse before it gets better. I usually don't see major improvement until month four. Hang in there.

You should be wearing sunscreen FOR SURE, daily. All sunscreens are not created equal. I recommend Elta MD Sport SPF 50. 9% zince oxide (zinc is what you need and most over the counter sunscreens don't have it or not enough). It's water resistant. I recommend that before you practice. On a daily basis you need to be wearing a sunscreen of at least 30 and either the Elta MD 40 with daily moisturizer or the Elta 45 Shield is awesome. You can go to www.eltamd.com to check it out. We sell it in out dermatologist office.

I'd love to answer any questions you might have but basically on Accutane, you want to do gentle cleansing with your hands, no picking (your skin will tear easily), moisturizing with an oil-free product and protecting with a great sunscreen (like the ones I mentioned above). That's it. Your Clindamycin is throwing me. I've never heard of anyone being on topical meds while on Accutane.

I'm replying to my own post! That's what I get for reading your post too fast. You're doing clindoxyl, not clindamycin. Right? Wow, then I am even more shocked as that's a Clindamycin and BPO combo. No wonder you're dry and your skin is miserable!!!

Also, what kind of sunscreen were you wearing? Your skin is soooooo sensitive to the sun right now with the meds (oral and topical). Again, zinc is best because it is an anti-inflammatory and won't irritate your skin like Avobenzone (a chemical UVA protectant). I can go on and on here about the sun, it's rays, etc. Just tell me what you need to know specifically and we will go from there.

I'm replying to my own post! That's what I get for reading your post too fast. You're doing clindoxyl, not clindamycin. Right? Wow, then I am even more shocked as that's a Clindamycin and BPO combo. No wonder you're dry and your skin is miserable!!!

Also, what kind of sunscreen were you wearing? Your skin is soooooo sensitive to the sun right now with the meds (oral and topical). Again, zinc is best because it is an anti-inflammatory and won't irritate your skin like Avobenzone (a chemical UVA protectant). I can go on and on here about the sun, it's rays, etc. Just tell me what you need to know specifically and we will go from there.

Hey!

Thanks so much for your reply.

Ya, it was my team doctor who prescribed it. I guess that's a mistake! Going to see a dermatologist tmrw! But I have heeded your advice and will definitely not use the Clindoxyl anymore. Man oh man. Just using Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer. And I won't be training in an outdoor pool now, so I should be ok. If I do, which will be sometimes, I'll make sure to load on the sunscreen.

Thanks again...

At least this teaches you to have confidence in WHO you are rather than HOW you look.

I'll let you know how my apptmt goes tomorrow.

Hey there.

I started claravis 4 months ago, and I can tell you honestly that I probably had a worse breakout than you... for 3 whole months. The first three months were hell for me, I felt the same way, didnt' want to go out, just stayed in my dorm all day... but now I'm in my fourth month and it's looking much better.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... don't worry about the temporary bad looks/pain... in 3 months (or less, because I had SEVERE SEVERE acne; in fact, I've yet to see someone on this message board with more severe acne than me) you'll have great skin and you'll think the 3 months you gave up were nothing!

Trust me.

Hey there.

I started claravis 4 months ago, and I can tell you honestly that I probably had a worse breakout than you... for 3 whole months. The first three months were hell for me, I felt the same way, didnt' want to go out, just stayed in my dorm all day... but now I'm in my fourth month and it's looking much better.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is... don't worry about the temporary bad looks/pain... in 3 months (or less, because I had SEVERE SEVERE acne; in fact, I've yet to see someone on this message board with more severe acne than me) you'll have great skin and you'll think the 3 months you gave up were nothing!

Trust me.

Thanks! I started on 70mg a week ago, and I think I see some improvement.

What did u do when your face got itchy?!?!