Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here is the deal.

I am about 28 years old, and was on Seasonale for about a year (before that was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen). On Seasonale, I had moderate to mild acne that occasionally would completely clear up. Simultaneously with deciding to go off the Seasonale because it was making me nervous, I traveled to GUatemala and got a lot of sun, which normally clears my skin up.

Well, since then, and it has been almost two months now, I have had the worst body acne I have ever had in my life. I tried going back on the pill (Ortho TriCyclen because it is a lot cheaper than Seasonale and I had a pack around) but it makes no difference. I have cystic acne, blackheads, whiteheads, you name it all over my body: on my back from waist to hairline, on my chest from shoulder to shoulder, down both arms, across my stomach and abdomen, on my neck, on my face (particularly my forehead), even behind my ears.

I previously have used Dan's BP gel to great success, but I find it difficult to use for body acne because of the way it bleaches clothes (yes, even if you let it dry...ANY amount of sweat reactivates it), and at this point, I would need so much gel I'd have to be practically bathing in it. I have been on all low-level acne antibiotics for several months each; all had no effect. I tried Differin: no effect. Blue light treatment. nothing. The BP gel is the only thing that has done me remotely any good, but I have never had a breakout this bad before. I'm not currently using the BP because I am in Canada and the international shipping is so much more expensive; I'll be back in the States soon and able to get ahold of more. I've been using 2.5% hydrocortisone in dabs on each pimpple, but there are so many at this point that I am only treating the worst ones.

I am going to try and go back on Seasonale to see if that makes a difference. But does anyone have any suggestions for me?? I am a professional photographer and figure drawing model, so being covered with cystic acne from literally the crown of my head to my waist is not doing me any favors and is interfering with my job. I'm afraid to take Accutane, and my current insurance runs out at the beginning of September, so I don't know how long I could afford it anyway.

well you could try the PanOxyl bar or something of that nature-it is just a medicated (with BP or salicylic acid) soap or body wash that you use in the shower instead of your regular soap or body wash.

This may not work as well as a leave on gel, but I am sure it will do SOMETHING. especially since you (probably) haven't previously treated your body acne topically so it will probably be more receptive to anything you do more than your face would.

p.s. do you dance?

Regardless of whether you try OrthoTriCyclen or go back on Seasonale, you probably won't see any results for at least 3-5 months. Seasonale actually has the worst progesterone for acne. I tried it for a while and had a lot more breakouts than what I have now.

Layne:

I actually have treated the body acne topically, with Differin and the hydrocortisone (and BP gel). But thanks for the recommendation! I may try the Head and Shoulders thing too.

I am actually a professional bellydancer on tour right now, which is another reason I want my skin to clear up...I'll use WAY less coverup. :)

Whoah. If its that bad I don't think anything topical is gonna clear that up.

What is your lifestyle like? Do you eat healthy and exercise regularly?

What is the longest amount of time you've been on antibiotics and what was your lifestyle like while taking antibiotics?

Layne:

I actually have treated the body acne topically, with Differin and the hydrocortisone (and BP gel). But thanks for the recommendation! I may try the Head and Shoulders thing too.

I am actually a professional bellydancer on tour right now, which is another reason I want my skin to clear up...I'll use WAY less coverup. :)

what cover-up do u use?