Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Relief...Finally

Clear Skin After Pixel Laser, SA and Bert's Bees!!!

I have not visited acne blogs in some time(years) and have never posted, I was alway looking for answers. After going through small bouts of depression because of acne and empathizing with others who suffered from it, I wanted to make sure when and if I ever found relief, I would let others know. I have had adult acne on and off for twelve years. At times it was quite severe, luckily I left it alone so the scarring was not as bad as it should have been.

I have had clear skin (completely clear) now for eight months and I owe it to 3 things (all new for me) I have used.

Just to give you a little background. I always had some kind of break-out. I could go for 2 or 3 years with just one break-out at a time but always something for the bacteria to stay alive. I had 2 periods ,each lasting about 3 years where I had severe cystic acne that was painful and very embarassing.

I had tried several laser treatments, creams, anti-biotics, retin-a, accutane, differin...

Last year I started a series of Pixel Laser. I had 4 treatments and I started them not to clear up acne but to help with some scarring I had. Eight months later I definitely notice my scars have gotten better. I had small pits (none were really deep) and they are barely noticeable now. Online I couled only find pricing for $800 a treatment which I could not afford. I ended up finding a spa that did not even advertise pixel and I got the treatments for $400 a piece. I bought a package with a couple of frilly treatments and 4 laser treatments to lighten up dark spots. I went to a spa in Warren, MI. I am not sure if I am allowed to give names on a blog, I must say I agreed to terms w/o really reading. I financed the whole thing with CareCredit and it has been worth every penny!! In addition to my scarring improving significantly my acne went completely away after the 2nd treatment. Now, mind you, I have a very high tolerance for pain and the ladies, by the 4th treatment went to the highest level the ycould go with me. They had never had anyone willing to tolerate this in the year they had been doing it.

About 6 months later, I did start getting some bumps under my skin which, of course, totally annoyed me. Summer was coming and I did not want to start retin-a or antibiotics. They were much smaller bumps than before. I ended up, accidentally running into a product: Burt's Bees Herbal Blemish Stick. It is made with willow tree bark, which salycylic acid and aspirin are made from (anti-inflammatories). Now, if I get even a hint of something, I roll it over and it is gone within the day.

Third, I bought 20% salycylic acid from a store on-line. It is very strong at it burns like hell for the first minute, but it quickly cools down. I use this about one every 3 to 4 weeks. My skin looks great the following week (brighter) and it lightens up any left over dark marks you may have.

Honestly, although I may get a small bump underneath the skin that no other person can see, but I can feel, this is so rare. This has only happened two times in 8 months, and again the Burt's Bees takes care of it.

Good luck to all of you and pelase let me know if you have any questions.

The small bumps you're experiencing are called sebum plugs. This is what's commonly referred to as comedonal acne. It essentially looks like rice grains under the skin. What happens is that dead skin, oil build up, and other particles get trapped in the pore. Over time they condense into these plugs. The only way to get rid of them is by removing them. They do not dissolve like bacterial acne can.

Salicyclic acid is a common and gentle treatment for comedonal acne, as is over the counter AHA's and BHA's. For more persistent comedonal acne retinoids such as Retin A, Green Cream, and Tazorac are commonly used. Retinoids work by speeding up the skins cell turnover rate. An average turnover happens every 30 days. With the consistent use of retinoids that is sped up to every 5th or 6th day. Research and use retinoids with care.

Its wonderful to hear you finally have skin you love. Its an inspirational story.