Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soonerthanlater

red marks appearing on Spiro

I've been on spiro (and Yaz) for 1 year now, being at my full dose of 150mg daily for about 7 or 8 months. After years of struggling with acne issues, I'm finally clear. I still have some faded red marks from last summer, but I haven't had zits any more serious than an occasional whitehead. One thing I do find is that every once in a while, a very slightly raised red mark will appear on my face, almost like the spot bypassed the zit phase altogether and just showed up as a fading red mark. It doesn't hurt if pressure is applied to it like my zits used to, and right when it appears that spot of my face sort of itches/tingles a bit. One showed up on my jawline a few days ago, and it's still visible. Has this happened to anyone? Is it possible it could be cycle related? I also use Duac during the day and Differin at night. I'm really pleased with how everything is going, but I'm always paranoid my skin is slowly going to slip back into how it used to be.

Hi there!

I've only been on Spiro for 2 months now (100 mg for first month and a half and now 125mg) + Diane-35 BC

I've actually also experienced the red marks you mentioned on my cheeks - not too many but around 3 or 4 since I started. I'm not really sure what thats from? They take some time then go away (of course the redness takes a bit to fade but at least its easily covered). Hopefully they'll resolve themselves. I'll ask my derm and keep you posted as well

I was wondering how long it took you to see results with the Spiro? Its been 2 months for me and Im still breaking out it seems.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks so much sunrise25. I've always gotten them on my cheeks as well.

I started Spiro and Yaz the beginning of last summer, and I continued breaking out at the same rate for about 2/3 months. I had a pretty bad IB, but that subsided by the 3 month mark. Around that time I noticed I started getting less serious breakouts, and the oil on my face was decreasing. I think I was fully clear about 5 months in, after I'd been on 150mg for a month or so. I was 80% clear while taking 100mg, but I always had some active spots, so the 50mg increase definitely took care of that. The last 6 months I've only experienced a few small, very on-the-surface, zits that goes away in a few days without leaving a red mark. I'm SUPER pleased with how the Spiro/BCP combination is working. I remember how hard it was at the beginning still breaking out while taking the medication, but after sticking with it, you see the results are SO worth it!

Hi there Soonerthanlater,

Thank you so much for the reply and the encouraging note!

I'm currently being offered tane by my derm but my endo thinks I should stick with spiro for a bit so the information you're giving me is very helpful!

Im just wondering if my acne is too severe for Spiro

Attached is a pic. Do u mind taking a look and telling me if yours was better to start with, or about the same or what? Its difficult making the choice between the tane and spiro

But i'd rather go with spiro if it could potentially clear me up

Thanks a lot!

Oops forgot to paste the link to the pics

http://photobucket.com/sunrise_85

Thanks!

aww no problem, sunrise :)

After trying bunches of topicals and antibiotics, my first derm told me the only thing left to try was tane. I'd been feeling that he was becoming really insensitive to how bad acne was making me feel, so I switched to another derm, who recommended I try spiro instead of tane (my first derm never even mentioned spiro..ughh).

My acne was VERY similar to yours, except I'd say my IB affected more of my jawline, too. I don't think it's too severe for spiro at all! My skin looked like that at the 2 month mark.

I'd say definitely stick with it. The first few months for me were the worst, but everything from then consistently got better.

Hope everything goes well!

Soonerthanlater, your reply gave me hope! Thanks so much :)

Its good to know that I'm not starting out in a terrible place. I'm hoping that soon I can start seeing some results and hopefully some fading of those red marks!

My endo also said that with spiro I should notice less facial hair, and stronger hair/more hair growth on the head. Have u experienced any of those effects?

I never had a big problem with excess facial hair or anything, but I am brunette, so sometimes I would notice a darker hair on my chin (which would be plucked immediately haha). I haven't had to do that in months, so it very well might be the spiro. I wasn't aware of spiro affecting hair on the head, but my hairdresser did mention how fast it grew between trims. My hair is probably the healthiest it's been, but I don't know if I'd attribute that wholly to the spiro.