Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrznKing

So I stopped washing 2x a day...

I used to wash my hair 2x a day but now I do it probably every other day. But when I don't wash it and just use a conditioner and come out of the shower, my hair is messy the way I woke up in.

So if I sleep and wake up and my hair is curly and crazy it's still like that after I condition in the shower and don't shampoo.

A bad thing because when I sleep my hair gets fine and after I condition but don't shampoo it's still fine so you see a lot of scalp.

I HAVE to wash my hair every single day or it gets monsterouslly greasy. The only days I don't wash it is when I know it's going to be up in a ponytail.

A bad thing because when I sleep my hair gets fine and after I condition but don't shampoo it's still fine so you see a lot of scalp.

Gotcha. I have to wash once a day most of the time or it looks kind of damp at the roots. :sick:

How long is your hair, PK? Have you tried a leave-in conditioner vs. getting your entire head wet? What about spritzing your hair with a little water to get some of the curls to clump together more? Hmm...this sounds like the makings of a hair mission. :)

How long is your hair, PK? Have you tried a leave-in conditioner vs. getting your entire head wet? What about spritzing your hair with a little water to get some of the curls to clump together more? Hmm...this sounds like the makings of a hair mission. :)

Yes, it is a mission. My whole whole I had my hair buzzed so I really have no idea what to do with hair. AT ALL, lol...

It's about 3 inches right now. I haven't tried a leave in conditioner. I just put a nickel sized amount of conditioner in my hair and just gently apply it throughout the hair except at the roots and I go very gentle because otherwise my hair falls out a lot in the shower.

I also stopped using products because when I do it makes my hair looks greasy. But I think I'm applying it wrong because I'm using American Crew pomade which is supposed to be good. I don't know, lol.

Also, my hair is fine and it's not course and thick. Just wanted to add that, lol.

So shampooing should be minimum (I try to do it every other day or when it gets greasy) And conditioning...what am I doing wrong?

i would just wash with shampoo once a day maximum, or even every other day. as you might be stripping the scalp of essential oils, try using a baby shampoo or something mild. and give good rinse.

try pat your hair dry too, i noticed some falling out when i rub it with towel.

i dont know mate, try not worry. shedding hairs is meant to be normal some experts say 50, 100 or even 125 hairs a day. gulp.

conditioner seems to stick to my head no matter how much i rinse, maybe try jojoba or other oil, even olive oil for natural conditioning.

Yeah, I pat dry. I know that much :P

I use Redken conditioner for men. I just apply it like it was shampoo then rinse it off. Is it supposed to stay on for a few minutes in the shower?

Leaving the conditioner on longer helps to better moisturize your hair, but what you're doing is good. Your hair is fine and that's probably the culprit. You just have to find a product or routine that your hair likes. If your conditioner containes silicone, try one that doesn't have that and vice versa. You can tell if it does 'cause it'll include the word(s) protein or something ending with 'cone'. Shampoo bars that contain essential oils might be best for you, too. They supposedly leave your hair so soft that you won't need conditioner.

ETA this site for shampoo bars: http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/shambar.htm

Oh, and never scrub your hair dry with a towel since you're letting it get longer. It'll tear up and break off from the friction - split ends and frizziness are a curlies worst nightmare.

Do you use hair products aimed for fine hair and/or oily scalp? Stuff for normal or thick hair is just to intense, IMO, and it weighs the hair down.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp43333_333181_s...d_and_shine.htm

That's what I use. Or sometimes just a serum if my hair is dry.

I never knew hair would be so difficult, lol. I'll look into getting a shampoo bar. Is it ok for the conditioner to get into my scalp? Because my hair is too short to just condition the ends and I have fine hair so I don't want to to fall out alot.

Ok, I just noticed that my hair isn't that bad when I don't wash it. I actually like it how it comes out. The curls are pretty separated and it doesn't look dull/dead. It looks like this.

http://haircutsformen.org/buzz/haircuts/buzz83.jpg

How can I achieve this with pomade or something? Like when after I shampoo my hair gets "normal" again. How do I achieve that style? It gets like that when I don't shampoo though if that matters.

My hair gets curly like that if I don't shampoo but when I shampoo, it's more wavy than curly.

Ok, I just noticed that my hair isn't that bad when I don't wash it. I actually like it how it comes out.

I knew it! I told you not to wash your hair as often! To be honest you'll probably find the overall look of your hair will start to improve over the next couple of weeks as you get used to washing it less... Basically it'll be returning to its normal condition and recovering from all the over-washing its been subjected to! :naughty: haha!

since you have such fine hair, you might want to try a lighter product, like mouse instead of a pomade. i have really fine curly hair, and heavier products just don't work for me.

Ok, I just noticed that my hair isn't that bad when I don't wash it. I actually like it how it comes out.

I knew it! I told you not to wash your hair as often! To be honest you'll probably find the overall look of your hair will start to improve over the next couple of weeks as you get used to washing it less... Basically it'll be returning to its normal condition and recovering from all the over-washing its been subjected to! :naughty: haha!

LOL, yep you were right. :P

since you have such fine hair, you might want to try a lighter product, like mouse instead of a pomade. i have really fine curly hair, and heavier products just don't work for me.

What's mousse? Does it give ability to maneuver it and achieve the style I posted?

What's mousse? Does it give ability to maneuver it and achieve the style I posted?

Mousse almost resembles whipped cream from the spray can. It's light, fluffy, and usually smells really good. A little goes a long way. You'll find it in the shampoo/conditioner/hairspray aisle. Yes, you can achieve great things with mousse. :) The more you use, the wetter your hair looks and the stiffer it gets so start off with just a little bit and add more if you need to. If you do use it, instead of washing it out the next day you can try spritzing it with water and running your fingers through it to achieve the look again.

mousse is just a whipped hair product. it can provide light to moderate hold depending on what product you buy and how much you put in. it's going to hold your hair in place without weighing it down, so it should work quite well for the hairstyle you posted. i like using john frieda frizz-ease mousse.

Mousse almost resembles whipped cream from the spray can. It's light, fluffy, and usually smells really good. A little goes a long way. You'll find it in the shampoo/conditioner/hairspray aisle. Yes, you can achieve great things with mousse. :) The more you use, the wetter your hair looks and the stiffer it gets so start off with just a little bit and add more if you need to. If you do use it, instead of washing it out the next day you can try spritzing it with water and running your fingers through it to achieve the look again.

this is an awesome idea.

awesome definition of mousse. as far as the wet/stiff look, it depends on how wet your hair is when you put it in and how much you put in. if you overkill, you will not like the results. make sure your hair is just damp when you apply it, and like siava recommended, i would start with a small amount, and work more in if you think you need it. this look doesn't require every hair stay in place, so you're only looking to polish your look.

Mousse is mainly used for blow dry aided styles on long or short hair. That's not to say you can;t do anything else with it though...

Regards the picture. I'm pretty sure from looking at it that the guy has styling wax in his hair. Very common with curly hair! Try a decent wax like Dax or Black & Whites or better still try to a find a decent coconut based styling wax.

Oh and also, i'm pretty sure this wont apply to you, but if you were considering putting colour on your hair and you'd been using wax to style, make sure you don't use the wax for like a week before the colour. Wax takes days for it to come out of your hair completely, thus working as a barrier against other services such as tinting. Be it chemical or natural based.

Really? I thought wax was for straight thicker hair.

http://texasbeautysupplycom.stores.yahoo.net/dax00303.html

That??^^

Seems 14oz for $3.30 bucks is good.

I just take a small amount of the wax and run it through my hair separating the curls?? Although that style is a few months away. My hair is still a bit short but it's that texture.

Yeah, try it! It's worth a go and i'm sure it'll work brilliantly. Try the Black & White if you can find it too!

I found Black and White but I can't find any site that ships outside UK or atleast to the USA.

Ohh, would some type of spray or serum work well too? I've tried a wax before and pomade and they always seems too thick and heavy for my hair. So I like lighter products better...

PK, I know you're a macho man, but this girly site for curly hair has some GREAT info. Once you type your hair, I think you'll have an easier time finding products that are suitable for it. Naturallycurly.com