Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm in the process of getting Accutane. My derm referred me to my general practitioner who gave me birth control pills today. I was wondering what the process would be from here? Is there a certain time line in which I'd be getting my blood tests and pregnancy tests? Is the sooner I get these tests the sooner I get Accutane? My next derm appointment isn't until the 2nd - should I schedule these tests before then to get things moving faster? Thanks. =]

Well, I know you have to have 2 negative pregnancy tests, and the 2nd one has to be during your actual period (or thats what my derm said). I was already on birth control, so im not sure how you just starting effects that.

Your derm should tell you when to take the pregnancy tests. As for the blood test, I think thats more to test other stuff (your cholesterol, etc.) So I dont think it matters when you take that test, just as long as there is enough time for them to get the results back to your derm.

From start to actually getting the RX for accutane was between 6-7 weeks. I had to wait for another menstral cycle b/c the 1st one wasn't enough days between tests, or something.

Is your derm doing the iPledge thing?? I understand the thought process behind it, but it seems a little excessive to me.....

Hope it works out for you. I just started accutane, so feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for the reply! I guess my derm is doing the iPledge thing, I'm not positive. There's absolutely no way I could be pregnant, so this whole thing seems very unnecessary. I guess it's good that they're trying to be careful, though.

(Sorry didnt read it but) I'm a guy, but I think taking your bloodtest before your next appointment will definetely help...because if you don't then you will have to wait for another meeting with him.

None of your blood tests need to be during your period, it doesn't matter when you get them as long as they're about a month apart.

You had your first appointment, and your next is July 2nd? Get your next blood test done 3-5 days before your appointment. They'll fax the results to your derm's office and if everything looks okay (liver enzyme levels, etc) you'll get your prescription written. Go home and do the iPledge questions on the internet or over the phone and you'll be able to pick up your prescription as early as the same day :)

Thanks, guys!! I will call the office tomorrow and ask what type of test I need done and set things up with the lab I usually get my blood drawn. Hopefully everything will go off without a hitch... I've had about two blood tests done so far this year and nothing has been irregular, but I'm not sure if the Accutane blood tests test the same things as the general check up I had. Thanks for the replies!

I don't use birth control pills either. I used abstinence as my birth control method. If you think that abstinence could be your birth control method too, maybe you should tell your doctor and not have to worry about taking birth control pills. Also, my doctor did the blood test the very same day I picked up my Accutane. I had an appointment with her in the morning, did another pregnancy test (I did the first one 30 days before), and then the blood test. After that, I filled out the questions online and picked up my prescription. So maybe your doctor will do your blood test when you go back to see him...?

Okay, so my first pregnancy test is more important at the moment? I just started my period today... will I have to wait now or does it not make a difference?

I called my derm and the nurse said he'll explain everything on the 2nd when I see him. I'm anxious because, even if I get my first pregnancy test on the 2nd, I'll still have to wait four weeks after that to start Accutane, right? arg.

I'm starting BCP tomorrow and am going in for my first pregnancy test on the 2nd. So I guess it'll be early August before I start Accutane? Arggg...

When I started bcp my hormones were so out of wack. I was moodier than ever. It took about a month to get used to =/ I actually hate bcp but that's just me. Anyways, i know this process is so tedious but it really is worth the wait. It'll go by faster than you think. Just don't anticipate it too much.