Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baby pink

i have no energy, yet I still have trouble sleeping

I gave up caffeine and gluten oh.. over two months ago. In that time I've been eating much healthier, I've lost a little weight, and I'm starting to exercise a lot more. I eat more raw food, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds.

I've been tired for almost three months. Yet my sleeping is out of whack. I wake up 5+ times in the night and can never get eight hours of sleep. Ambien has become virtually ineffective.

I'm really worried about how it's going to be when I get back to school in September. How can I get through classes and homework and exams when my energy levels are depleted? I think giving up caffeine and unhealthy food will be great for my skin in the long run. But I still have a full year of college to get through and coffee and (some) snack foods certainly helped me get through the first three.

I'm also worried about the cost of living super healthy on a college budget. I'm trying to transition slowly to a raw food diet. I think it'll be excellent and help me get to my ideal weight. But on a college student budget, is it too expensive? does it take too much time to prepare meals?

I'm just so unsure about how I'm going to handle stress, maintain high energy, focus, do well in school with a lifestyle that's so focused on what's right for my skin.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated..

Is this a raw vegan diet you're going on? If so, have you considered that this might not be the right diet for you?

It sounds like it could be a thyroid problem, which isn't uncommon. Coconut oil and seaweed are two foods that are great for thyroid function, and they both fit into your current diet as well.

Are you getting enough protein?

Sometimes people who drastically change their diets actually become sodium deficient...believe it or not. If you have almost nil sodium intake, your electrolytes may become imbalanced and you may become dizzy and sleepy. It's happened to some family members of patients who are on low sodium diets; the family members ended up having sodium deficiency! Of course medications can also increase the risk for sodium deficiency and it's not really all that common but it was one thing I thought to mention.

You sound like me a bit..'I cant sleep either, or I dont have energy at all!!

I am loosing more weight each week as well..yet still getting chin pimples.

SUCKS TO BE US.

Yeah, raw vegan I wanted to try.. I'd have to get some cookbooks and do a lot of research though maybe it isn't the right diet for me. I have to figure that out. I have been vegetarian since I was 5 and mostly vegan I guess, I don't drink milk and I have an egg maybe once a year and honey occasionally. It possibly could be a thyroid problem, I will ask my doctor about my energy levels and sleep problems tomorrow. I can't eat seaweed though, says my new derm :) and she's an EXPERT at clearing skin so I'll take her dietary suggestions totally seriously. I do try to have a spoonful of coconut oil a day yep, anymore than that gives me the stomach ache of a lifetime.

Is this a raw vegan diet you're going on? If so, have you considered that this might not be the right diet for you?

It sounds like it could be a thyroid problem, which isn't uncommon. Coconut oil and seaweed are two foods that are great for thyroid function, and they both fit into your current diet as well.

stress??

go out and have some fun.

yeah, I have stress problems I guess. I've been through a lot of things this past year and I'm seeing a therapist to try to get through the emotional part and I think I'm going to start yoga..but I have to work really hard in school and I tend to get easily stressed over work and grades and stuff. it's a hard trade off. I have a high GPA, but only if I work hard

I am relaxing a lot and going out this summer and working jobs and going to the gym this summer which is good, but I'm also studying for the GREs which is more stressful than I thought. *sigh* i don't know..

Are you getting enough protein?

Sometimes people who drastically change their diets actually become sodium deficient...believe it or not. If you have almost nil sodium intake, your electrolytes may become imbalanced and you may become dizzy and sleepy. It's happened to some family members of patients who are on low sodium diets; the family members ended up having sodium deficiency! Of course medications can also increase the risk for sodium deficiency and it's not really all that common but it was one thing I thought to mention.

I'm not supposed to have a lot of iodine says the dermatologist so I worry about having things with salt because I have NO idea what separates the iodized salt from uniodized salt in products, it seems to never say. How can I see if I have a sodium deficiency?

Actually, I had a complete metabolic count three weeks ago and levels were normal then so that wouldn't explain my being tired then though maybe things have changed? it looks like then the only things that were low were my creatinine levels? and glucose was at 71 when the "normal" range was 70-99 so barely normal. do i need MORE sugar? I'd doubt that. perhaps I'll be referred to a nutritionist or something lol

eat meat. :)

all meat are good just look for All natural :) , make sure not allergic to nuts :D

yeah... having been vegetarian since I was five... I'd probably have to be stranded on a desert island for that, or when I get pregnant (again.. hopefully next time will be planned and won't fail :( )

making the transition from no meat to eating meat is NOT easy. I've considered it sometimes I guess but I would probably be vomiting for hours after each piece, I feel sick at just the thought really... I'm afraid my stomach is so accustomed to not eating meat that it may throw off my digestive system a lot.

all meat are good just look for All natural :) , make sure not allergic to nuts :D

yeah... having been vegetarian since I was five... I'd probably have to be stranded on a desert island for that, or when I get pregnant (again.. hopefully next time will be planned and won't fail :( )

making the transition from no meat to eating meat is NOT easy. I've considered it sometimes I guess but I would probably be vomiting for hours after each piece, I feel sick at just the thought really... I'm afraid my stomach is so accustomed to not eating meat that it may throw off my digestive system a lot.

I know many hates meat cause is gross for some people , since is from animal.

they vomit if they try it.. or even see it.

I love meats it taste good and has high protein.. :)

but no worry u eating good anyways

I'm not going to tell you to start eating meat; but if you ever get the urge to try again, you should start off with a decent fish broth. I know a few vegetarians who made their transition into meat-eating using this method.

I'm not going to tell you to start eating meat; but if you ever get the urge to try again, you should start off with a decent fish broth. I know a few vegetarians who made their transition into meat-eating using this method.

hehe yeah.. even that doesn't sound too appealing. oh well. don't know what I'll do about my diet yet..

I've been completely raw vegan for 3 months now and had energy and sleep problems before going raw, but not now. I feel better every day. My cystic acne has been getting better too...now I am only dealing with minor pimples and a lot of scarring.

If I were you I would look into thyroid/adrenal issues...

P.S> Eating meat will probably not solve your problem, but that's up to you to decide

How much fat you are eating?

Eating lots of fat and fruits is a dietary suicide. High-fat raw diets rarely succeed because the fat in the diet makes you insulin resistant. Add fruits to that and you have a nice recipe for blood sugar problems, Candida, low energy levels and other nice things.

I'd go to www.nutritiondata.com and feed in your weekly diet and see what comes out. If your fat consumption is over 20% of total calories that could be one explanation.

Other things.

Sleep problems are often not related to diet (excluding caffeine and some stimulating foods).

Do you exercise or get any sunlight? Those things help to increase your body temperature during the day, which helps you to fall asleep better and sleep deeper.

How much fat you are eating?

Eating lots of fat and fruits is a dietary suicide. High-fat raw diets rarely succeed because the fat in the diet makes you insulin resistant. Add fruits to that and you have a nice recipe for blood sugar problems, Candida, low energy levels and other nice things.

I'd go to www.nutritiondata.com and feed in your weekly diet and see what comes out. If your fat consumption is over 20% of total calories that could be one explanation.

Other things.

Sleep problems are often not related to diet (excluding caffeine and some stimulating foods).

Do you exercise or get any sunlight? Those things help to increase your body temperature during the day, which helps you to fall asleep better and sleep deeper.

Is that why some people fail on the paleo diet? Because they think there is no limit for the fat intake/fruit intake?

I don't got problems with my bloodsugar, but then again. I don't eat fruits.

Is that why some people fail on the paleo diet? Because they think there is no limit for the fat intake/fruit intake?

I don't got problems with my bloodsugar, but then again. I don't eat fruits.

Could be one reason. But the success or failure of a diet is rarely about one thing.

Exercise, sleep, stress and other factors always play a role.

Your blood sugar is perfectly fine. Fantastic, even. I'd not suggest adding any sugars.

I would suggest sunlight, exercise and evaluating your sleep hygiene. After changing those things, if your issues persist, then begin to rule out other things.

When you feel tired, try getting up and moving around instead of resting. You don't have to feel very energetic to take a walk. It's one of the reasons walking is the only exercise I manage to do consistently.