Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
abcde

Just started Differin, but have a few questions

Well, after I got my physical yesterday, my doctor actually prescribed me Differin and I started it immediately yesterday night. I've read a lot about the side-effects (dry skin, redness, tightness, etc.) However, I was wondering could that be due to the amount of Differin used? My doctor didn't really tell me any instructions so when I looked on the Differin website it said only to use a pea-sized amountfor my entire face. Last night, I found it really difficult to spread the recommended "thin layer" over my entire face. By the time I was done, it felt like I spread a few drops of water over my face that evaporated already. Fortunately, this morning my face did not experience really any side effects. It's not dry, red, or tight. Is this because I only used a very small amount over my entire face or am I supposed to use more than a pea-sized amount? Also, I didn't have any non-soap based cleaser or non-salycylic cleaser so I just used a warm washcloth before applying the Differin. Does the Acne.org Cleanser work with Differin? Thanks for any advice! :D

By the way, my skin is not oily or dry this morning and my acne is neither better nor worse(only my first night though). Not sure if this is relevant bit I thought I might as well put it in. Should I be expecting some of the side-effects so many others have been talking about?

I actually think under-applying Differin is 100 times better than over applying it. And since it's a retinoid, remember, even if it doesn't get applied directly over a pimple, there won't be anything you're missing out, because retinoids don't really attack current pimples and make them go away faster (that's the job of antibiotics).

I think if you can just make sure that you have a very very thin film over every part of your face that you're supposed to apply (remember to avoid the creases of your nose and corners of your mouth... it's all in the very hard to read instruction packet).

And if you ever feel like a part you just applied didn't get enough.. Just wait until tomorrow night. Like I said, under-applying is much safer than over-slathering Differin.

I actually think under-applying Differin is 100 times better than over applying it. And since it's a retinoid, remember, even if it doesn't get applied directly over a pimple, there won't be anything you're missing out, because retinoids don't really attack current pimples and make them go away faster (that's the job of antibiotics).

I think if you can just make sure that you have a very very thin film over every part of your face that you're supposed to apply (remember to avoid the creases of your nose and corners of your mouth... it's all in the very hard to read instruction packet).

And if you ever feel like a part you just applied didn't get enough.. Just wait until tomorrow night. Like I said, under-applying is much safer than over-slathering Differin.

Avoid the creases of your nose? I use differin .3 and i apply it all over my face, including my entire nose. Where exactly are the creases of your nose; like around your nostrils? I wonder why the reason for that is, just dryness?

^I had been applying in the "creases" and they cracked, now the corners of my mouth are dry and cracking--thanks for the tip AsiaXiah

Avoid the creases of your nose? I use differin .3 and i apply it all over my face, including my entire nose. Where exactly are the creases of your nose; like around your nostrils? I wonder why the reason for that is, just dryness?

As AOEE says, applying it to the corners of your mouth will likely result in scaling/peeling/cracking/dryness (that area of skin is more prone to such symptoms).

As for not applying on the creases of your nose (that's the fine line where your nose is attached to your face, next to and around the nostrils) that's because a lot of people who apply retinoids there have developed mild seborrhea-like symptoms there (I myself had gotten a little bit due to doing so, but it's gone now thanks to azelaic acid).

I have been on Differin for a while and I think I have been applying too much. A pea size cannot even cover one side of my face. I probably use like 2 or 3 pea sizes on my face since I've started (at least over a year). I have recently started to cut back and use just pea sizes this past week. Could this be the reason my face always gets red? Hopefully it is and my face will not get as red anymore. But is it too late? I hope I have not already scarred my face tobe red for using Differin too much? Please let me know. :doubt:

^I have a similar problem, especially if my skin is dry or scaly already--then it just absorbs up the retinoid cream.

I have not found it to cause severe excess irritation though, not sure if it would even do that at all since you don't get increased medicinal effects either anyway.

im surprised you still have red skin after a years worth of use yankee.

Is your skin clear yet??

If it is I would suggest either buffering the differin by applying a moisturizer cream on your face first. Or try applying it every second night. i notuce when skip a day my skin feels better.

So I've been on Differin for about a week. I have been using nothing except for Differin at night (no other creams or benzoyl peroxide products throughout the day). I'm really surprised by the number of posts complaining about dry, irritated, and red skin. Maybe it's because I am not using as much Differin as others or maybe it's just too early to tell, but I have not experienced any dry skin, irritated skin, or red skin. In fact, when I switched from Proactiv to Differin my skin became less dry and irritated. So that is a plus for me (no irritating side-effects). Actually, I think my skin is a little bit more oily....is this normal? Unfortunately, I do believe I am experiencing an initial breakout. I am continuing to be hopeful and hope that I can stick it out and see some results in a few weeks or so. I have made a major effort to try and not pick or touch my face at all and have also decided to start drinking green tea (after reading about all its benefits). I was also wondering if using Dan's BP gel only in the mornings along with Differin could help with the IB. Would this be helpful or lead to drier skin? Any advice would be helpful!

I am using Dan's BP gel and it did make my face a bit drier and flakier when using differin at night after around 1 or 2 weeks my face was pretty much back to normal, basically a combination of normal and oily.

I might have to try tea :P

I had a IB around week 3 or 4 of using differin which seems like a while after and may not even be related to the Differin, I did sort of have quite a bit of junk food in one of the weeks and that many have caused it.