Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kyukyu1201

1 year on retin a - wouldn't do it again

i used retin a w/ the obagi regimen for 1 year.

it's actually a 16 wk? or something like that..cycle that you go on but once i stopped obagi and retin a i noticed i was breaking out again. so i continued w/ retin A for 1 year total.

maybe it was just me, but my face was constantly red, i guess i never really adjusted to the cream because i looked like i was a lobster, tho not that extreme.

i also read that extended use of retin A isn't recommended and so I freaked out so I stopped and of course after i stop, what happens? I break out again. i guess there is no long term treatment for acne, or it's my acne that is not clearing up but overall, retin A usage long term is such a difficult thing to do. i haven't used it for a year now and no intentions of going back. if it was something that i knew had no effect despite using it for a long time, i'd go ahead but i'm just scared. i'm always about, is this something that i need to do forever, will it have a negative effect on my body or health at all? if there is a slight chance, i back away. i'm too chicken. T_T

What did the Obagi regimen consist of?

Did you think it made any signifcant improvement for you skin?

Retin-A is safe to use long term, just make sure u wear sunscreen. Maybe use it EOD if your face is always red. I use Differin and when i miss a day my skin looks less red the next.

i used retin a w/ the obagi regimen for 1 year.

it's actually a 16 wk? or something like that..cycle that you go on but once i stopped obagi and retin a i noticed i was breaking out again. so i continued w/ retin A for 1 year total.

maybe it was just me, but my face was constantly red, i guess i never really adjusted to the cream because i looked like i was a lobster, tho not that extreme.

i also read that extended use of retin A isn't recommended and so I freaked out so I stopped and of course after i stop, what happens? I break out again. i guess there is no long term treatment for acne, or it's my acne that is not clearing up but overall, retin A usage long term is such a difficult thing to do. i haven't used it for a year now and no intentions of going back. if it was something that i knew had no effect despite using it for a long time, i'd go ahead but i'm just scared. i'm always about, is this something that i need to do forever, will it have a negative effect on my body or health at all? if there is a slight chance, i back away. i'm too chicken. T_T

한국분이신것 같은데, 전체적으로 보면, 레티노이드제 연고들은 동양인 피부에 너무 과격적인것 같습니다. 저도 레티네/디퍼린/타조랙 (안써본게 없죠) 다 써봤지만, 님과 같이, 얼굴이 너무 심하게 빨개지고 irritation이 심해저셔 그만둬야됬죠.

한국에서 아직 잘 안쓰이는것 같지만, azelaic acid를 한 번 찾아보세요. 제가 요즘 쓰고 있는데, 특히 동양인 피부/민감한 피부에 아주 좋습니다. 얼굴도 안빨개지고 여드름도 많이 없어지죠 (여드름 상쳐도 빨리 없어집니다). Azelaic acid의 브랜드이름은 Finacea나 Azelex입니다.

There isn't really a proven mal-effect of using retinoids for a very long time, although looking at the mechanism, it could possibly hint at some irregular skin cell growth cycles (at the worst). In fact, a lot of people like using retinoids for a long time because they prevent wrinkles.

Anyhow, like I said up there, there are alternatives to topical retinoids for users who experience severe irritation, so I would definitely try the azelaic acid.

Finacea. Try that.

I look at it like this. Retins are only a short term fix anyways, like Duac or Benzoclin. Retins may alter skin thickness, but that reverts back in a few weeks to a month. I rather just be consistent with Finacea and Duac, and have immediate and clear results, than fuck around with some BS "Break me out for 3 months, and then MAYBE by month 6 i'll see results"

No thanks.