Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We've all heard of that phrase once or twice. Generally, when someone grows out of acne, does it magically disappear one day or is it a slow process? For people who have grown out of their acne, did people notice any changes? Like gradual decrease of sebum production over time, etc.?

is it a slow process? probably, but how slow is it really? I dont know, it could be faster than the slow you have in mind or slower.

and for the next 2 questions, you won't find the answer here, theres not many people, if not any that have grown out of acne on this board.

is it a slow process? probably, but how slow is it really? I dont know, it could be faster than the slow you have in mind or slower.

and for the next 2 questions, you won't find the answer here, theres not many people, if not any that have grown out of acne on this board.

not true my brother use to have moderate acne through his teens (12-about 19) and when he turned 20 all his acne just basically disappeared. lol quite magical, he's quite lucky too his skin is flawless now and the gay thing is he never ever used any type of acne medication at all, he just said fuck it and didn't let it affect him and it went away amazingly.

The reason why you get acne is because your hormones are all out of whack during puberty. Once you get through that and your hormones settle down, then your face would logically clear up.

However, it doesn't happen overnight. Even if your body stopped having pimples crop up, it still has to clear up what's already there.

after a while u wont get any NEW breakouts...then u jus wait for the existing to clear..

good diet will prevent new breakouts until then

its relativley slow, i started getting moderate acne when i was about 13, and as i grew out of puberty my acne became more and more mild.

I am now 19 and suffer from a random pimple every other week. So yes, some people do "grow out" of it, however its a slow process. *I never used any medications other than BP and Minocycline(for about a year or 2)

The reason why you get acne is because your hormones are all out of whack during puberty. Once you get through that and your hormones settle down, then your face would logically clear up.

However, it doesn't happen overnight. Even if your body stopped having pimples crop up, it still has to clear up what's already there.

Um, I'm years past puberty, and I still have acne. So I'd have to disagree with your statement.

This "growing" out of acne, is it more common for boys than girls? Do you know any girls who "outgrew" their acne after a certain age like by mid-20's?

My brother is 21 and feel he has outgrown his acne now. He used to have moderate acne like me, but now he rarely gets pimples. I am very happy for him but now I am wondering why I am still stuck with acne even though I am 7 years older than him! He never cared much for his acne though. He still eats meat etc. but rarely gets pimples. Me on the other hand can't eat any meat because I will get a break-out of 5-6 pimples the next day.

Anyway I am happy that he doesnt have to worry about this anymore.

^a lot of girls, when their periods comes around, they break out. so I think it might be a life-long thing? maybe...

maybe its not "the" reason, but i think it definitely is a strong factor. my dad had real bad cystic acne through high school. once he went into to college his face cleared up, and he makes it sound like magic. he still gets a zit now and then. my aunt, however, still has cystic acne and she's 45 yrs old. she's had it since hs as well. i don't know what to think...

To: One- Love

Ha ha ha! You may have something there.... :D

Um, I'm years past puberty, and I still have acne. So I'd have to disagree with your statement.

Me 2, and i'm thinking i won't ever 'grow' out of it

I think using topical medications has a big thing to do with whether or not you can actually "grow" out of it. The more you use things like benzoyl peroxide, retin-A, etc, the harder it becomes to "grow out of it". I say that because most of the people that I know who have grown out acne simply treated thier face with water and nothing more, maybe lemon juice once in a while. Meanwhile, all of the people that used medications and perscription either are still dependent on those medications or have had to go through a shitload of other medications in order to control thier acne.

In the crew that I used to hang out with when I was like 12-16 or so, 2 of the guys had mild/moderate acne. However, both of them refused to take products, and they basically told me that I need to stop "pampering my skin so much and just leave it alone". 6 years after he told me that, here I am still somewhat struggling with acne, while both of them are pretty much zit free. However, they were 3 and 4 years older than me, but both have grown out of it for the most part. They still get small zits once in a while, but its nothing earth shattering.

My brother had really oily skin and random whiteheads as a teenager, but his acne went away by the time he was like 20. He actually has dry skin now somehow, and he's never applied topically in his face his whole life. He still gets pimples once in a while but its not a big deal. Hell, even Kobe Bryant gets pimples once in a while.

Wow, this topic would depress me if I let it. :)

I prefer not to think about it at all. The less you worry about it, the better off you'll be. If treatment works and continues to work, that's all you can ask for.

hi guys,

dont mean to depress you but acne can last a lifetime (more common in women than men) my derm told me if you are over 25 and still suffering from acne then youre likely to have it til menopause (in women) in men not as long term. lucky guys. im 30 and still have acne i will prob go on accutane soon. wish i didnt have to.

saying this though a lot of acne does resolve itself in mid to late teens due to hormones calming down.

i had 10 beautiful skin years on diane 35 the bcp now im off it acne has returned!

good luck with any treatments you are undertaking xxx