Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NancyV908

Do I have the wrong kind of skin problem for the regimen?

OK, I guess I should have thought about this BEFORE starting. Anyway, I have been faithfully, precisely following the regimen for close to 3 weeks. I see no change whatsoever. I know not to expect miracles or full clearing so fast, but I did expect to see at least some improvement. The What to Expect page certainly led me to believe I would.

So I've been really examining my skin closely. I am 45 & have had acne for more than 30 years (!). I still do break out occasionally here & there, but these days my main complaint is extreme oiliness (which I know the regimen won't affect much). But now I'm thinking that maybe what I'm calling acne is really discoloration--maybe scars, maybe sun damage from my pre-sun-awareness youth? I also have noticeable pores that look plugged up; when I squeeze, sometimes that yellow waxy stuff comes out. I couldn't possibly squeeze them all, though. I have seen conflicting info here about whether bp helps this.

So now I'm wondering if maybe bp isn't what I need, since I don't seem to have the inflamed kind of acne (much). Perhaps I am so in the habit of thinking of my condition as that kind of acne (which it was, for years), that I failed to notice that the nature of my bad skin had changed?

I know that for the regimen to work I need to give it more time, but on the other hand, I frankly find it a huge pain, & if it's unlikely to unplug my pores, I'd rather stop now, & let my skin feel better. (I have mainly avoided redness & flaking, but my skin does feel extremely tight & dry now.)

What do you think? Thanks!

hey there, i think in order to treat your acne you really need to understand what kind it is. if you could post a picture maybe people could help you out? as you said bp isnt the best solution for non inflammed acne, its amazing for large papules and pustules and can work on those stubborn bumps but its perhaps not the best. if i were you id have a look at the non inflammed acne board and see if any pictrures match what you have. if so maybe some exfoliation like an aha product or sa would help. good luck!

From what you described, it sounds like what would be good for your skin is an alpha hydroxy acid lotion, or perhaps a prescription retinoid. Those treatments are definitely better suited to dealing with clogged pores and sun-damaged skin than BP is. Dan is releasing a new 10% glycolic acid lotion shortly, which I think would be worth trying out to address your skin issues.

From what you described, it sounds like what would be good for your skin is an alpha hydroxy acid lotion, or perhaps a prescription retinoid. Those treatments are definitely better suited to dealing with clogged pores and sun-damaged skin than BP is. Dan is releasing a new 10% glycolic acid lotion shortly, which I think would be worth trying out to address your skin issues.

I agree. :)

Thanks everyone. I guess I have some research to do about some other options! I am quite sure that for much of my life I had precisely the kind of acne the regimen is designed for...I guess I maybe came to it too late. But I'll take some time to figure that out before I make any changes. I appreciate your advice.