Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gattino di Cecchino

WTF?? I'm GAINING Weight on Paleo!?

I don't get it; I used to live off of sugar, junk food, pasta, etc. NO meat, dairy or eggs, and I was around 127 lbs (5'10, female). I probably ate 2000-2400 cals a day. I used to walk home from work (15 minutes)

But b/c of my face, I HAD to change my diet. So now, I eat eggs, olive/coconut oil in moderation, veggies (no potatos), fruits, salmon, almonds and seeds. Now I only eat 1200-1600 cals, by my calculations. Now, I also jog for 30 minutes. As for water, I've always drank TONS of water, and I still do.

I've done this for 2 weeks now, & why am I gaining!??!?!?

When I first began, I was also eating organic, grass-fed meat for my paleo diet, I felt so heavy, bloated, and sluggish, I had to get rid of it. And the weight gain was even worse then.

Now that I've nixed the meat (except salmon), the problem isn't as bad, but it's still there. It's not muscle I'm getting, it's FLAB and I feel bloaty and heavy.

DID THIS DIET COMPLETELY SCREW UP MY METABOLISM?? Every time I eat meat or eggs (all organic, omega-fied, and free-range), this seems to happen.

Do some research and find out what your metabolic type is. Your body might be more suited for carbohydrates than protein and fat. What is your ethnic ancestry?

Bloating is never a good sign. How often are you going #2? Sounds like your getting enough water. Are you eating enough fiber?

I find it really weird that you are gaining weight off of 1500 calories a day...I don't think I would gain weight on any 1500 calorie diet.

What is your protein:fat ratio like? I.e., how many grams of protein for 1 gram of fat?

Do some research and find out what your metabolic type is. Your body might be more suited for carbohydrates than protein and fat. What is your ethnic ancestry?

Bloating is never a good sign. How often are you going #2? Sounds like your getting enough water. Are you eating enough fiber?

I make *sure* to eat lots of fiber - and when I eat meat & eggs, I end up... constipated, regardless of my water and fiber intake. I'm Asian Indian, Italian, German, and just a teeny bit Japanese. I'm going to check out the metabolic typing concept. According to the blood type diet, I should be like, Protein Woman, being a Type O+.

I find it really weird that you are gaining weight off of 1500 calories a day...I don't think I would gain weight on any 1500 calorie diet.

What is your protein:fat ratio like? I.e., how many grams of protein for 1 gram of fat?

I find it weird, too. Especially since, on carby foods, I'd lose weight at 2200 calories! As for ratios, I have no clue; I consume proteins in the form of eggs, fish, almonds & seeds. I use additional oils (olive, coconut) with a light hand. So I would think that I have a moderate protein to fat ratio.

Don't freak out. First of all, 127 is fine. It's a good weight. If you keep in shape (and why not do it?), you have no problem.

I'm on paleo too and I want to gain weight actually (I'm male).

Paleo diet is good for you, so before freaking out about the weight ask yourself if it is helping your acne. It's helping me. Women freak out too much about weight, but they don't work out seriously. Do some bicycle, some roller-skating, some jogging and some light weights. Have fun.

Anyway good luck!

I make *sure* to eat lots of fiber - and when I eat meat & eggs, I end up... constipated, regardless of my water and fiber intake. I'm Asian Indian, Italian, German, and just a teeny bit Japanese. I'm going to check out the metabolic typing concept. According to the blood type diet, I should be like, Protein Woman, being a Type O+.

Its easy to overestimate the amount of fiber your eating on this kind of diet. You really have to eat a ton of leafy vegetables, root vegetables, and nuts/seeds to get adequate fiber if your not consuming grains or beans. You should try a good fiber supplement like psyllium seeds. Take a teaspoon of the seeds in a big glass of water 3x a day around 30 min before each meal. It will cure your constipation for sure.

I'm going to assume that your complaint is legitimate, and that you aren't underweight and that your not putting on weight because your body fat is unheathily low in the first place. (There is such a thing as a healthy amount of weight.)

If that isn't the case, then I'm going to suggest to you that you are probably a carbo type. For three weeks, don't consume an ounce of meat or fish (contrary to what you may have read, you can easily survive this way). Strictly limit your nut and seed intake and instead concentrate on fruits, vegetables, and small amounts of brown rice.

Notice the difference between how you feel. If nothing changes, I wouldn't be suprised to find you have digestion issues in general and that it has nothing to do with meat itself.

You didn't say how much weight you gained.

Also, how POSITIVE are you that your calorie calculations are correct?

FYI, 1200 calories is too little. 1600 is still restrictive.

Remember, if you are not eating enough, your body will put itself in starvation mode and store fat because it will think that it needs it.

Its easy to overestimate the amount of fiber your eating on this kind of diet. You really have to eat a ton of leafy vegetables, root vegetables, and nuts/seeds to get adequate fiber if your not consuming grains or beans. You should try a good fiber supplement like psyllium seeds. Take a teaspoon of the seeds in a big glass of water 3x a day around 30 min before each meal. It will cure your constipation for sure.

I usually have 4 tbsp of flaxseeds daily (9 grams fiber), as well as two servings of almonds (6 grams fiber), 2 apples (8 grams fiber), pumpkin seeds with hulls (not sure, but more than 2 grams), a big bowl of berries (3 grams) = all that ALONE is at least 28 grams of fiber. Then I eat tons of other fruit, and veggies, so I could be getting up to 38-40 grams a day.

The carbo-typing thing is interesting. Could I still be a carbo type if I can't eat wheat and sugar? (I don't think I broke out when I ate real German rye bread, but I wanted to take this anti-acne diet full throttle).