Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nancypick

How about simultaneous TCA Cross and TCA Complex??

I was just wondering....what is to prevent a person from doing a TCA Cross on the more severe scars and then going over the whole face with the TCA Complex? This way, my whole face will be taken care of with one session. I have only 4 icepick scars that I need TCA cross for, the rest are enlarged pores.

I'm trying to reduce my down time with these procedures and thinking about doing this. Does anybody see any danger in doing this?

Nancy

These are two very different procedures and I wouldn't combine them. TCA CROSS is a very exacting process and I wouldn't mess with it. Just my thoughts.

Yes, it's two different procedures, but the topical agent is the same thing, isn't it?. If you put the 100% TCA just on the pits with the toothpick and then wait until it neutralizes itself (makes it inactive), what is the harm in doing the rest of the face with the 6% TCA Complex?

I was planning to do both procedures, a few weeks after the other. But I don't see how it would be harmful to do both at the same time. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig for this. I haven't received any TCAs yet, so it will be in another week or so.

I realize the TCA Cross is not a procedure to be taken lightly. I only plan on doing 4 shallow pitted scars that really bother me. I have read everything about this procedure and feel confident about doing it.

Nancy

Guest Scorpioness

TCA is a tricky thing...

The acid actually increases its strength as it is layered. So, if you put 100% TCA into pits and then layer it with a coat of 6% TCA, it will increase the damage done by the 100% TCA by increasing its strength and that may be too much damage.

If you are going to do this, why not place 50% TCA into the pits and then go over your face with the complex?

In the CROSS thread, hols went to a derm for CROSS. The derm put 35% TCA into the pits and then covered her face in 15% TCA.

I actually thought of using myself as a guinea pig for this too, however, I would advice against using 100% TCA.

Good luck.

Scorp

I don't agree that they are the same topical agent. They share one ingredient, at different percentages.

I don't know how the 6% TCA Complex would affect the 100% TCA. You may be risking damage to your skin. Peronally, I would not be willing to experiment on myself in that way. I just don't think it's a good idea. 100% TCA is already playing with fire, much less adding some gasoline to the mix. Again, just my opinion.

I guess my take is that once you've put the %100 TCA into your pits, you've done as much damage as you can to it. Then putting another layer of %6 TCA on top of that can't do anything more to it. It's already been attacked by the highest strength TCA. Is my logic faulty???

Maybe I won't push the toothpick as hard into the pit if I do both procedures. I'm planning to swipe the TCA Complex once for 3 days.

Just wishful thinking. I hate being scabby and flaky. I'll let you know if I get brave and do this.

Nancy

Please do not do this with 100% TCA!

As Scorpion said, my doc put 35% 2-3 times on my ice picks and then went over my cheeks and chin area lightly with 15% TCA. The TCA goes deeper with each successive application so in total I received an application of 100% in my ice picks.

I believe you could do serious damage by layering the Complex over 100% TCA. You could burn a hole in your skin!

I agree with Tamara (although I'm often tempted to do multiple procedures at the same time)..

The issue with TCA complex is that it has around 6% TCA in it but also other unknown ingredients. I don't know how these ingredients will effect the treated TCA CROSS scars.

Also, both methods require different after care.

For TCA CROSS, you need to keep the scabs as long as possible and apply antibiotic cream like neosporin for several days. So, keeping it MOIST aids better healing

For TCA complex, you are meant to keep it DRY and let the skin prepare for peeling .....after a few days you are meant to steam your face and then using an exfoliator like microcrystals or enzyme peels to get rid of the dead skin cells lying on your face ..... and then keep it moist to aid healing.

See... both do not work together. If you apply the aftercare recommended for TCA complex you could ruin and make worse what you did to you TCA CROSS treated scars.

Some are alternating between doing the TCA complex and TCA CROSS, leaving 2 weeks apart from each treatment. This makes more sense, although personally I would think 1 month apart is better as collagen needs time to grow.

I am currently using the TCA complex, and in around 3-4 weeks will do the TCA CROSS.

Guest Scorpioness

True Maya you make some good points, and patience is a virtue!!

It may actually work..... the CROSS/Complex deal, yet it may cause more problems too. I don't know, that's why I am interested in Hols results.

HOLS...

What kind of aftercare did your doc give you for the procedure?

Hi Scorp,

My doc emphasized keeping the areas moist. My aftercare was:

1 Wash with cetaphil several times a day

2 After cleansing, apply a cool washcloth to face for 5 minutes

3 Apply moisterizer like Eucerin or Aquaphor

This is day 6 and my chin area is still a flaky mess, but mostly on the areas where I had the CROSS. Other surrounding skin where 15% TCA was applied is almost back to normal except for a bit of redness. I also experienced a breakout of whitehead type things--so those are still healing too. I was kind of embarrassed to go to work today but what ya gonna do? We all suffer for beauty!

Guest Scorpioness

Hols...

I am just wondering how your skin is looking now? Any updates?

Scorpion,

My skin is looking better, I just have a few crusty spots where the TCA cross was done. The surrounding skin where 15% TCA was applied, looks normal. I'm thinking that she went too lightly with the 15%. I don't think she applied it very evenly. Also, she missed quite a few scars with the TCA Cross. Arggh! All this down time and she didn't even get everything.

This experience makes me want to try this on my own.

How many times have you done the CROSS? How is your improvement?

Do you use 50%?

hols

Guest Scorpioness

Hello there Hols! :-)

I have done two CROSSes, with 50% TCA, concentrating on ice picks and scarred pores. The last CROSS I did was over six weeks ago. Already my improvements have been dramatic. I treated hundreds of my scarred pores last time I did CROSS. I had many that were linked together to form shapes on my face. Many of these scarred pores, after only two treatments are level with the skin or close to it.... they look like normal pores now as opposed to scars. The ones on my temples responded the best, I have to tilt my head under strong lighting to even see them anymore... or more like where they used to be. I haven't treated my shallow scarring with CROSS, I think needling would work better for these, along with strong peels and EGF.

I personally feel that this procedure is simple to do on yourself. Just read the thread and the CROSS document fully and you should be good to go. I am really excited about my next CROSS with 100% TCA! It's awesome to look on my face and realize that a lot of my one time scars don't need another treatment!!

Thanks for the info Scorpion!

I'm glad you're getting great results--it gives me hope. I know what you mean about having lots of scars linking up to create bigger scars--I have several places on my face that have weird scar patterns. They actually look like shallow indented lines. I don't know if CROSS will help those because they are more from rolling and boxcars.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.

hols

S.vixion,

Congratulations on your success! biggrin.gif/

Few Questions:

Do your treated pores have a different texture than your other skin (better or worse)? I have the same problem with my scared pores playing connect the dot and forming lines and various shapes. How bad is the residual redness? I imagine if you treated hundreds of scars you must be freckled.. Do you find that the smaller scars heal quicker and loose the redness faster?

I am working up the courage to do this and have been wondering how I would go about it as I too have hundreds of these small scars. Wondering if I should I treat one area at a time or larger scars first etc. How will I keep up with what scars got treated when... I guess I would be able to tell from the redness.

I get bummed every time I think of the project this is going to be and the healing time involved. I cant wear makeup lately because of sensitivity, I wonder how long I will be known as the red freckled lady. sad.gif

Guest Scorpioness
S.vixion, 

Congratulations on your success! biggrin.gif

Few Questions:

Do your treated pores have a different texture than your other skin (better or worse)? I have the same problem with my scared pores playing connect the dot and forming lines and various shapes.  How bad is the residual redness? I imagine if you treated hundreds of scars you must be freckled.. Do you find that the smaller scars heal quicker and loose the redness faster?

I am working up the courage to do this and have been wondering how I would go about it as I too have hundreds of these small scars.  Wondering if I should I treat one area at a time or larger scars first etc. How will I keep up with what scars got treated when... I guess I would be able to tell from the redness. 

I get bummed every time I think of the project this is going to be and the healing time involved.  I cant wear makeup lately because of sensitivity, I wonder how long I will be known as the red freckled lady.  sad.gif