Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arias

Natural UV light??

I was just wondering is photodynamic light therapy the same as just sitting under natural UV light?

I went on holiday to Pakistan last year where I stayed for 2 months. And the only thing that changed was the amount of sunlight I was exposed to. I used to have really bad facial and back acne but in those two months my skin totally cleared and stayed clear until about 5 months ago.

I put this down to the lack of sunlight exposure in the UK. Instead of spending money on photodynamic light therapy wouldn't it better (and cheaper) to just have treatment in a regular tanning bed?

Srry if the Q sounds stupid but I have to know :(

i Had the same

i went to spain for 2 weeks and my acne improved vastly

so my derm decided to put me on uv treatment for 3 months

and it didnt do anything!!

i was so dissapointed because i thought it might work a bit

uv and sun exposure is only temporary your acne will come back

so its not reccomended for acne as it will come back as soon as you stop qand plus uv rays are bad for your skin and can increase your risk of skin cancer

so i reccomend you don't bother

:)

hope this helped

Get a home red/blue light unit and you can have the same effects as you get from the sun but without the sun damage...

Actually, what your acne is responding to is not the UV but the near-uv blue light. It's a form of light therapy, and you CAN set one up at home, you just have to make sure you get the right type of light (actinic 03). I wrote about my experience here, hopefully we can get some more people to try it out and get rid of the need to go to ridiculously expensive dermatologists just to sit under a light. See my other post for info...

Actually both UV and the violet frequencies (405-415nm) work. But the violet frequencies cause almost no skin ageing at all, whereas the UV, of course, is really hard on your skin.

I Remember reading in literature how they came about discovering about the near-UV frequencies being effective - apparently, they tested using different UV frequencies, but for some reason straight UV Wasn't as effective as natural sunlight at killing them- but, either way, yes UV is what causes skin damage and aging - not necessary!

Actually both UV and the violet frequencies (405-415nm) work. But the violet frequencies cause almost no skin ageing at all, whereas the UV, of course, is really hard on your skin.

More or less, similar anyway. Actually the lamp is brighter in the violet (near to the ultraviolet).