Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alex419

Anyone know anything about EDTA?

I've been eating a lot of fish over the past several months, probably too much, and there's a chance I have elevated mercury in my system (I get this weird tingling/weakness in my arms sometimes that could be related). There's this OTC supplement called EDTA, which when taken orally, binds to toxic metals in your system and flushes them out (from what I understand).

What I'm wondering is if this can interfere with Accutane at all or decrease its absorption or anything bad like that. I'd ask my derm, but I want to do that as a last resort because she doesn't really know much about supplements, and had no idea about flaxseed oil and if it was okay to take while on tane but just assumed it was (which I later found out was true thanks to this forum).

So I was wondering if you guys could help me find out if I can take this now or wait until after my tane course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDTA didn't say anything about medications, and various Google searches didn't either.

I've been eating a lot of fish over the past several months, probably too much, and there's a chance I have elevated mercury in my system (I get this weird tingling/weakness in my arms sometimes that could be related). There's this OTC supplement called EDTA, which when taken orally, binds to toxic metals in your system and flushes them out (from what I understand).

What I'm wondering is if this can interfere with Accutane at all or decrease its absorption or anything bad like that. I'd ask my derm, but I want to do that as a last resort because she doesn't really know much about supplements, and had no idea about flaxseed oil and if it was okay to take while on tane but just assumed it was (which I later found out was true thanks to this forum).

So I was wondering if you guys could help me find out if I can take this now or wait until after my tane course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDTA didn't say anything about medications, and various Google searches didn't either.

wow, this is a really strange question :eh: I never imagined people would be selling oral EDTA

In short, EDTA is a chelator - it binds to metals to get rid of them, so yes it would bind to mercury. BUT at the same time, it also binds to calcium, magnesium, copper, and so on, which are essential minerals that your body needs.

I'm not sure anyone on here is qualified to answer your question, but I would highly recommend you to not take this - EDTA can be toxic. You should ask your family doctor about this (though I think you'll get a similar response to the one I just gave)

Hmm, I see. Thanks a lot for the info (I know the question is odd, and I'm actually surprised I got a reply this fast).

I'll ask my doctor about it, and I should probably test myself for heavy metals. I'm already low on calcium as it is (no dairy) so maybe I'll hold off on the EDTA for now. How is it toxic, though? In high doses or general?

My mom did IV chelation for a heart condition. She said it helped and she did have heavy metal issues. I don't know how but somehow EDTA was involved. My doctor wants to test me for MS because of my arm sensations, and then we found out elevated mercury levels can lead to symptoms similar to MS, which is where the EDTA idea came into play.

Also, do you think it would interact with Accutane at all? I don't know if Accutane leaves any metals in your body or whatnot, but I'm trying to do everything I can to make sure it's absorbed as much as possible (high fat meals, lots of water, etc.) and don't want to mess that up.

Any more info would be appreciated.

yep, definitely ask your doctor. There's also a difference, since you're talking about oral EDTA, versus your mom's IV chelation. If your mom had something like clogged arteries, then the EDTA injected into the nearby area would (in theory) bind to the huge calcium store that's right next to it to remove plaque buildup.

The difference here is that you first have to wonder how much EDTA would be absorbed by the stomach (http://www.drcranton.com/chelation/oralchelation.htm says --> The unabsorbed 95 percent of EDTA that remains within the digestive tract mixes with undigested food and essential nutrients, causing them to pass on out of the body in stool.). If only 5% is absorbed, the oral EDTA was essentially useless, except that it got rid of essential minerals that you just ate :P

Then, the second major difference is that if it was to treat a clot, there's a huge nearby source of calcium for the EDTA to bind. Chances are, you don't have nearby as much mercury running through your veins. Also, wiki says this -- "However, it has been shown that inorganic mercury (Hg2+) bound to EDTA (a necessary step in EDTA-induced mercury chelation) forms a complex (HgEDTA) that is "potentially injurious to the neuronal cytoskeleton".[23]" regarding mercury poisoning.

All in all, avoid taking EDTA unless recommended by your doctor ;)

(accutane shouldn't have any metals by the way)