Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fbmbassist

Calendula for inflamed acne and healing red marks

Has anyone here tried calendula to heal inflamed acne, picked skin, or red marks?

It's normally used for healing cuts, burns, and is an anti-inflammatory herb.

I started using organic calendula-infused olive oil as a daytime moisturizer (by diluting it further in some grapeseed oil) and full strength as a spot treatment at night. The calendula appears to be pretty strong since I wake up with my inflamed & cystic stuff much smaller. My whole face appears less red too.

I know this stuff is supposed to have a natural amount of salicylic acid, so it also seems to be exfoliating my skin, but without the dryness since it's in olive oil. My pores look smaller and my skin is less "puffy."

The places where I picked (I'm really trying not to do that anymore) are healing faster too, with no red marks. I'm pretty convinced that this is not my imagination, but I'll know for sure when my boyfriend comes home from Peru. He'll be able to tell me whether my skin has improved since 3 weeks ago.

My acne isn't severe anymore since using more gentle products, but I do get nodules sometimes. I just have a few pimples now (2 active, 7 dried up), but I also have a couple nodules near my jaw line and ears. We'll see how my new regimen works in the long term.

I'll keep you all updated!

So here's my regimen update:

I'm trying not to wear much on my face during the day (I'm combining this with NdnRomeo's regimen), so I switched to using the calendula as a spot treatment. I had this big nodule near my eye/nose bridge that had been there for 2 weeks, and now this morning it's completely gone down so that it's flat.

The calendula seems to work on inflammations, but I don't think it dries out current pimples (papules). The exfoliation is still noticeable though, so I know that part works.

I want to see if calendula helps clears up my red marks, so I'll put it on one cheek and compare it to the other one that's bare. I'm going to do this treatment every other night because it does seem kinda strong, and my skin is sensitive. I feel like the salicylic acid stays in my skin for a while.

I'll keep trying this out and let you know. I'll start taking before and after pics when my boyfriend comes back with the camera. I just wish I had taken one from when my acne was the worst!

Week 2 Update:

1) Using the calendula diluted in grapeseed oil all over my face:

Pros:

- Heals popped pimples faster (yea, I know, I shouldn't pop anything...but sometimes they're just ready!)

- Lessens red marks or fading pimples SLOWLY, but I notice a difference.

- Still been taking away inflammation. All of my cystic and inflamed acne is gone, except for two small spots near my ear that are about 2 mm wide -- tiny, but stubborn. I wonder if it's an allergy to my shampoo or conditioner, since these only show up near my ears.

Con:

Since it's calendula in a base of olive oil, it's exfoliating, but at the same time I have to wash it off well so I don't walk around with olive oil on my face collecting dirt and plugging my pores. I switched to only using this at night. Also, some people get clogged pores with olive oil, but many don't. It's seems to vary a lot.

2) Using it full strength as spot treatment:

- Definitely decreases inflammation and heals open/popped pimples faster.

- I don't know if it needs to be full strength. When I use it diluted at night, it works just as well to decrease inflammation, so full strength might be over kill.

For both of these topical treatments I haven't seen any "new breakouts". Meaning, a million comodones popping up in a few areas or all over. But it really does bring under the skin stuff (cystic, nodules, etc.) to a head. I've only noticed two or three on my face at any given time, but no "breakouts" of new pimples or blocked pores.

I'm really curious about other people's experiences. I might post my results in the holistic section since people use calendula over there, but since I found this as a treatment for inflamed stuff, I'm leaving it here too.

hey!!

Ive started to use calendula and chemomile tea yesterday and hope i get good results too.. my skin looks cleaner after one day use..

will it stop the cysts?

hey!!

Ive started to use calendula and chemomile tea yesterday and hope i get good results too.. my skin looks cleaner after one day use..

will it stop the cysts?

Hi Shum,

It seems to help bring down cysts, but I don't believe it will prevent them, since cysts are usually caused by infection (e.g. picking a regular zit), allergy, or hormones. If it comes from under the skin and didn't start as a pimple, and you're not near your menstrual cycle or fluctuating hormones (workout habits, puberty, etc.), it could be a food allergy.

Figuring out the root cause(s) of your acne is a long journey, which I'm just starting to figure out. It's helped me limit the use of topicals (I don't use medicated stuff anyway, just herbal). I haven't used calendula in a long while because I'm not sure if my bottle has gone rancid. Olive oil doesn't have a long shelf-life, and I don't know if calendula helps extend it. Next time I'll get the extract instead so I can put it in aloe vera.

But thanks for reminding me about this - I have a couple of red spots and I wasn't sure what to put on it. This posted reminded me that I have a bottle of sea buckthorn berry extract, so I'll use that instead since I should probably toss my expired calendula.

hmm.. calendula looks ok to me.. and yes it didnt prevent acne..

i read that neem oil is good for active acne.. will try that as well...

i'm so happy to be a member here.. until now i felt i was the only one with this problem :)

hmm.. calendula looks ok to me.. and yes it didnt prevent acne..

i read that neem oil is good for active acne.. will try that as well...

i'm so happy to be a member here.. until now i felt i was the only one with this problem :)

Same here! it really helps to have the support.

How quickly does the calendula oil (neat) heal post breakout? Does it make red marks less severe?

I think oregano oil is best for killing zits, but you have to be careful, that stuff is strong! You can google ways to use it, and look on acne.org too. Some people dilute it and use a tiny bit in their daily face wash or lotion. You can also put a tiny dab right on a pimple or cyst. Some sensitive skins need it diluted for spot treatment too. I think diluted for any open wound or scab is a good idea.

I need something for those post zit red marks. So sick of them!

I started with calendula oil, but I just started. I was hoping for some thoughts on it's effectiveness and speed.

Thanks!