Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnnoyedGal

I think Acne is worse for self esteem than MANY diseases!!

This is so silly but true for me... I am 29 and have MS. Thats pretty serious right?? But weirdly, it does not bother me NEARLY as much as when I get bad acne and hyperpigmentation!!!

Because those play with my self-esteem! I feel ugly when I have them! I am not confident to look people in the eye! I get depressed...

I am not undermining any other disease. I am just saying acne (BAD acne) plays with your self esteem which can weirdly be a lot more "debilitating" than other diseases!!

Yes because it is superficial and something everyone can notice, and we look at each others faces when we talk, it's also what we remember of others first, etc. It's normal to hate our acne. We just have to deal with it.

it's also what we remember of others first

That's not true! You might have the impression that this is what people think of first but I know it's not!

Of course this might be true for you but this then is only due to yourself suffering from acne.

When my skin starts getting full of zits, I get depressed... it definately makes me feel uncomfortable and ugly. I dont look people in the eye when I know my face is looking gross. no self confidence while breaking out whatsoever...

my dad never saw me depressed cause of my skin... sometimes i wouldnt even finish dinner cause he would say something and id get embarrased and cry and leave the table... but no... even TODAY he still thinks i have a mental problem with depression... he wont accept the fact that when i look like crap like i do today and i stay to myself it could be the way my skin is ugly and gross. I hate it.

Trying to get on accutane but i know that when i finally get to see a derm i will be clear on the regimen... it works everytime but it always came back

I agree with you. I think acne is severely debilitating. I know it is in my personal experience. At my worst my acne has made me severely depressed and causes me to think about suicide. It makes me introverted when I'm the farthest thing from introverted. It makes me avoid contact with people and makes me feel like I'm acting like a freak.

What I don't understand is why doctors - the medical community doesn't recognize this. Why does everybody obsess about the psychological problems with being fat or having an eating disorder but not understand, or refuse to acknowledge, the severe emotional affects that acne has on SOOOO many people. Why do friends and family say.... "It's just your face get over it..."

it's like ok... exactly... it's just my face and it's been this way for over 10 years and it affects me every day... how can you NOT understand this???

I really don't get why people don't understand. It's so strange.

:shrug:

I also think the emotional affects can be long term, as well. I think for myself I feel unworthy or not as good as other people even though I have so many other things going for me. Even when I'm acne free (rare occasions right after accutane courses) I'm still mental and feel shy to be around opposite sex in a dating sense even though logically i can look at myself and say I have a great body, great personality, and am attractive... it's still hard to feel worthy and wanted.

Anyway.... just my thoughts.

I agree with you. I think acne is severely debilitating. I know it is in my personal experience. At my worst my acne has made me severely depressed and causes me to think about suicide. It makes me introverted when I'm the farthest thing from introverted. It makes me avoid contact with people and makes me feel like I'm acting like a freak.

What I don't understand is why doctors - the medical community doesn't recognize this. Why does everybody obsess about the psychological problems with being fat or having an eating disorder but not understand, or refuse to acknowledge, the severe emotional affects that acne has on SOOOO many people. Why do friends and family say.... "It's just your face get over it..."

it's like ok... exactly... it's just my face and it's been this way for over 10 years and it affects me every day... how can you NOT understand this???

I also think the emotional affects can be long term, as well. I think for myself I feel unworthy or not as good as other people even though I have so many other things going for me. Even when I'm acne free (rare occasions right after accutane courses) I'm still mental and feel shy to be around opposite sex in a dating sense even though logically i can look at myself and say I have a great body, great personality, and am attractive... it's still hard to feel worthy and wanted.

that's me right there...:(

Wow. You nailed me.

just to say that last year my acne was at the strange where it was severe and as a result of this i got extremely depressed and would cry for hours- avoid social activity and hate myself- i mean seriously hate myself- it got the point where i thought about how to kill myself and got everything ready for that and didnt go thru with it - about 4 month's later i went to the derm about my skin [ i go about every 2 months for the last 6 years for medicines creams etc etc] and as he started to talk about my skin i just started crying and crying- normally i did this and docs would just ignore it or brush it aside as a sensitive issue but he bothered asking some questions and basically diagnosed me with severe depression[which i already knew i had and tried to tell my mom about but she just brushed it under the carpet] and offered my pills or counselling [ talking therapy] i chose the latter as was just starting another "miracle" antibiotics cure and didnt want to take more pills-

basically having therapy was a huge changing point in my life - my therapist talked me through all my problems and for once in my life actually listened to what i was saying and asked the right kind of questions which really allowed me to explore the reason why i self hated and was just so depressed- a lot of it was due to acne but some of it was due to other circumstances in my life which i hadn't had the chance to sort out and truly understand - she taught me methods for coping and confidence and it was so great having someone non biased to talk to and more importantly some one who you didnt know preciously-

she helped me uncover things and discuss things which i had tried to discuss with my friends and family but had always just gotten sympathetic answers from but no real words of any value- i always found them biased when they paid me complements and things- very superficial in terms of the words they said but therapy helped me to look behind this and explore why i couldnt accept their words. also i ha a mild problem with alcohol and i used it as a confidence booster - i would never talk to guys unless i was really drunk and although i knew this was wrong i found it hard to stop- she helped me with this too.

since then my confidence has increased a lot and prior to therapy i always thought that therapy was for people with real massive problems like someone who had lost a child or whose parents were divorced- not a "lame" problem like acne- i was also sceptical that the therapy was going to work - but it really did and i would truly advise anyone who empathises with brocollicat to think about giving therapy a go- it worth looking into it helped with my emotional problems and my feeling that i was worthless and that no gut would ever want me as well as helping me be more extroverted and therefore make my opinions heard and be given value.

i hope that this helps

xxx

This is so silly but true for me... I am 29 and have MS. Thats pretty serious right?? But weirdly, it does not bother me NEARLY as much as when I get bad acne and hyperpigmentation!!!

Because those play with my self-esteem! I feel ugly when I have them! I am not confident to look people in the eye! I get depressed...

I am not undermining any other disease. I am just saying acne (BAD acne) plays with your self esteem which can weirdly be a lot more "debilitating" than other diseases!!

I've been dealing with depression for about 12 years now and acne for about 17 years. I fully understand where your coming from. At this point acne has truly ruined my entire life. I've gone from over social to extremely anti social and this crap seems to never go away. Even if it does by the time I'm 40-45 honestly who cares at that point. The damage has been done.

Oh well.

Bell's Palsy was way worse for my self-esteem than acne ever was.

Oh, Bell's sucks! My friend had it a while back and she said it wa awful. She was afraid to leave the house because she felt like she looked disfigured. It cleared up for her. I hope it did for you as well, Wynne.

:(

Dont let acne take control of your life. =/

I dont think of pimples as big, huge, space taking evil little aliens, I think of them as flaws.

We are all beautiful; acne doesnt deserve all that attention. x]

If anyone needs a self esteem boost, Im always here, you know... I may be young but Im not stupid. I can also clear your skin on my photoshop, lol. x]

Clear skin in 3 minutes. If only that were the case for real acne. :D

The older I get, the better able I am to not let it impact my overall mental state. In high school, I suffered from panic attacks mainly because I hated going to school and even having people see me. For years, I didn't even bother wearing makeup or caring about my appearance in any way because I thought my skin was so bad, there was no point in even making an effort. It's nothing that extreme anymore. But, I definitely am completely unable to think of myself as remotely attractive. I think of myself as ugly, and when I really think about it, it's just my skin that I have a problem with... But that's my face! LOL. What else are people going to see and judge?

I agree that most people don't really have a concept of what we go through, though. You would think there would be a little more awareness of the psychological effects by now.

Bell's Palsy was way worse for my self-esteem than acne ever was.

My dad had Bell's. Lasted for months. Left side of face sagged. Had to wear a patch over his left eye. Sweet Jesus. It must have been difficult for you.

About 10 years ago, I had 2nd degree burns covering my face. Not only that, pus and all, my face was so swollen that it looked like melon with slits for eyes. Children *stared and pointed* at me. After I healed and the swelling went down (1-2 months), I had brown splotches and holes where the burns were. This took a few more months to fade into the range of "normal."

After this debacle, I am not phased by what other's think of my acne. I feel more confident without my tiny erupting vulcanos, but eh, I've been through worse.

Oh, I had a small accident that left half my chin was gone (ie not there). I got it back 7 months later, but sheesh. I was devastated during that time.

In the UK there is an organization called Changing Faces that helps people deal with facial and other visible disfigurements. They actually mention acne as one of the medical conditions they deal with. So, at least somebody is taking it seriously.

They have a variety of approaches, including an anti-discrimination campaign, counseling, make-up lessons, and more.

You can contact them at 0845 4500 275 (UK calls only) or

[email protected] or

via their websites www.changingfaces.org.uk/Home and www.iface.org.uk

You'd be surprised at how many patients have acne as one of the most 'severe' factors in diagnosing depression.

that makes total sense. we live in a completely looks-obsessed culture. and wearing your "flaw" on your face makes things even worse because you simply can't hide your face.

just try to remember that you are your own worst critic, and even though you have acne, you still have a million other wonderful attributes that acne can't take away from you :D

I agree. I had clear flawless skin until college. Since I've suffered from acne my self esteem is soooooo low and I find it hard to look into the mirror. I'm tired of this. My acne is definitely interefering with my social life and how I feel about myself.

I feel the same. At my age(48) I wonder if I will ever get clear. Even when I was on bc I still had break outs though not as bad as later. I went through a bad patch for about 6 months where I broke out on my neck soooooooooooooooo badley that I looked like I had chicken pox there! Its embarassing, depressing and you wonder why? I don't know anyone my age that has skin like mine. I work with kids half my age and I wonder what they think when I have a break out. There's only one other kid at work that has what looks like to me as severe acne. I get paranoid about what I eat and usually end up eating nothing. And the media, magazines and even the Dove commercials make me cringe! I don't look in mirrors in public restrooms, dressing rooms, car mirrors and panic when I have to go out into the other part of the store that I work in where it is all sunlight and big windows! Now I deal with wrinkles, lines, puffiness and eczema which can flare up when I get stressed and make me look a million times worse! Who ever said that you can age gracefully or your not getting older, your getting better, doesn't know jack!!!! elf