Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KingBeta

My Acne[with pics]

So I come back here with a worsened case of acne. Enough talk. See my pics and tell me what to do.

post-64119-1214215595_thumb.jpg post-64119-1214215603_thumb.jpg

I think it's considered severe? DKR or not? Suggestions welcome!

post-64119-1214215595_thumb.jpg

post-64119-1214215603_thumb.jpg

If you have insurance/money, go see a derm asap! Where are you "back" from? What did you do to worsen your acne?

Although the pictures show that your acne - sorry to say so - is not mild, they do not show whether your acne is located "only" on your jawline or on other parts of your face as well.

You could give the Regimen a try. I don't know how well it does on - again sorry to say so - tougher cases though.

If I were you (and I am not, so decide for yourself), I would go to a derm and get antibiotics. If they clear you up or at least improve your situation, you can see where to go from there. If it doesn't improve, there are other options only your derm can give you. He will be able to tell you what you should do.

Good luck!

I've tried alot of stuff. I was on DKR last December for a month. Then I left my skin alone, washing only with a cleanser. During March/April, I tried the ACV regimen, which made little to no improvement. On May, I went to a derm who prescribed me some topicals for me to apply. My acne worsened.

I went to see another one which prescribed me antibiotics, which I refuse to take due to its side effects and a BP gel which I'm currently using now. It's PanOxyl Acnegel 5.

Yes jawline is my ONLY problem area. I wonder why.

Oh yea let's not forget the fact that I squeezed and picked at my face for every whitehead/pustule I see. Bad move.

Hey again.

Well, one month on any topical -be it Benzoylperoxide, Retin-A, Differin etc.- is not enough time to see whether or not it works! I know this sucks but thats just the way it is! I have had acne for over ten years (i am 27 now) and have been about 80% clear for the last three months because it was the first time I EVER had the patience to give BP time to work. It does take patience!!!!!!!!!

Btw, I live in Europe and thus can't buy the products offered on this website but am buying regular 2,5% BP from my pharmacy. So I am not promoting any specific BP brand! I guess most of them work similarly.

I don't like talking about things I haven't tried myself. But sometimes there are situations where it just has to be done. So here we go: I haven't tried the ACV regimen and thus - to anticipate criticism - don't really know whether or not it is any good. Nevertheless, your acne (as the pictures show it) is in my opinion at least moderate and if I were you, I would not try some "natural home remedy" but take advice from your derm.

In the end, it all depends on how much you suffer from your acne. If it doesn't bother you at all, the only thing you have to keep in mind is that it might leave scars behind and you can continue trying "natural" remedies or experiment with diet etc.

If, on the other hand, you are bothered enough to seriously do something against it, then you need patience.

You say that you would not want to take antibiotics due to their side effects. I agree in that antibiotics generally suck because they are a -time wise- VERY limited remedy and do have some side effects (although in my opinion not too bad if you do not take them too long). Nevertheless, I think that they might give you a temporary relief during which you can start regularly taking some kind of topical.

The fact that you do not "even" want to take antibiotics suggests that you would never consider Accutane. I have thought about Accutane quite often myself but eventually decided against it...

Concerning the isolated occurence on your jawline: Do you touch your face very often? Do you wear a helmet? Do you change your pillow case regularly? etc.

I brake out a lot around my temples. I noticed this was due to me touching my face quite often during the day (after riding the train, walking through my office, touching doors, shaking hands, ALL without washing my hands (which I - of course - do several times a day, but not often enough to touch my face). Maybe you are doing something similar!?

What was the topical your derm prescribed? I don't know how much you have read on this board. But you will notice that many people -if not most- experience initial breakouts (IB) when they start using a new topical. Thus, if you break out when using something your derm prescribed, this doesn't necessarily mean that it will continue like this, it might just take some time.

And, I know you know, picking is not good! Not only does it take longer for spots to heal, it also spreads bacteria.

The problem with the derms in my country is that they take every acne cases as a general case and deal with it the same way. I have no idea what my 1st derm prescribed me, and I don't wish to know either.

And sad to say, I touch my face very often. I don't wear a helmet or hat. My pillow case...err I guess I don't change them frequently. I stopped picking my face 4 days ago.

You wanna know how my acne was last year October? Here:

post-64119-1214224966_thumb.jpg

Well, it apparently really did worsen!

Seriously, stop touching your face and also start changing your pillow case at least twice a week. I don't think this will stop your acne alltogether but it might improve the situation.

I have never been to Singapore but there must be a derm that is able to treat you correctly. I have this image of Singapore as one of the world's cities/countries that is like 20 years ahead of everybody else...

However, the world's best derm can only treat you correctly and successfully if you comply. If they prescribe you something, you really need to give it a try and take it for at least 2 months. If, after that time, you find it didn't work, get an appointment, tell him/her and he/she will prescribe you another topical,which -again- you will need to try patiently. Sometimes life sucks, i know...

If you are really reluctant to take oral medication, then topicals are the only shot you have (i.e. apart from holistic approaches).

The fact that derms "take every acne cases as a general case and deal with it the same way" is just due to their scientific approach to your problem. They have different kinds of medications at their disposal, varying in strength/effectivenss as well as side effects. They will generally start off with something that doesn't have too many side effects and see how well it works. But if they find that you do not regularly use the things they give you, then there is no way they can help you.

Are you only "afraid" of oral antibiotics or also of topical antibiotics? Not being a doctor, I cannot give you competent advice, but personally I believe there is no harm in trying topical antibiotics for a while.

As I already said, everything depends on how much you want your acne to go away!

Singapore isn't as good as you think. That's all I can say on a public forum lol.

Seriously, I'm not working so therefore I don't wish to see a derm. My first appointment with the derm alone cost me S$80(which is alot for me, since im a student).

The only topicals I'm allowing on my face is the BP and this moisturizer.

What are topical antibiotics anyway? Never heard of them.

I've tried alot of stuff. I was on DKR last December for a month. Then I left my skin alone, washing only with a cleanser. During March/April, I tried the ACV regimen, which made little to no improvement. On May, I went to a derm who prescribed me some topicals for me to apply. My acne worsened.

I went to see another one which prescribed me antibiotics, which I refuse to take due to its side effects and a BP gel which I'm currently using now. It's PanOxyl Acnegel 5.

Yes jawline is my ONLY problem area. I wonder why.

Oh yea let's not forget the fact that I squeezed and picked at my face for every whitehead/pustule I see. Bad move.

I agree with the person who said that a month is not time enough to see your acne clearing up, man, it took me like 7 months to get clear on the dkr!

The problem with the derms in my country is that they take every acne cases as a general case and deal with it the same way. I have no idea what my 1st derm prescribed me, and I don't wish to know either.

And sad to say, I touch my face very often. I don't wear a helmet or hat. My pillow case...err I guess I don't change them frequently. I stopped picking my face 4 days ago.

You wanna know how my acne was last year October? Here:

If you were using DKR, your skin gets worse before it gets better. That's how OTC products work. You probably didn't use it for a longenough time.

Either way, you should follow your derm's recommendations. He probably has more experience than you do in this field. Also, he probably has many studies and read tons of books. Follow his advice and see how it works.

Well, if you cannot go to the derm that's something different then.

Topical antibiotics are antibiotics (e.g. Erythromycin) that you do not take orally, i.e. as a pill, but in the form of a lotion or tincture applied to your face. I don't know about Singapore but my guess would be that there you need a prescription for that too.

So the only thing you have left is BP. Go for it and stay with it at least two months before you decide to quit!

Good luck!

I agree with the person who said that a month is not time enough to see your acne clearing up, man, it took me like 7 months to get clear on the dkr!

Yes this is where I fall short. I am an impatient guy.

If you were using DKR, your skin gets worse before it gets better. That's how OTC products work. You probably didn't use it for a longenough time.

What's OTC?

Either way, you should follow your derm's recommendations. He probably has more experience than you do in this field. Also, he probably has many studies and read tons of books. Follow his advice and see how it works.

Problem is I don't have the money to visit the derm repeatedly. Every shit in Singapore is worth a diamond, with all the price constantly rising due to the rice...

And thanks to doriang for the advice.

One thing about acne is that there is no quick fix and there really isn't a cure, per say. Like other people have said, you're going to have to be patient with whatever you do or try. One month is nothing in the world of acne treatments. Might as well be a week, if you ask me. Anyway, if time is of the essence and you're limited in how often you can follow-up with a derm, I'd go for the kill and ask straight up for Accutane. Go check out the Accutane forum and the Accutane users' logs and kibitz with them a little bit. There are people on there with worse acne than you and they've had some amazing results. I just don't think you should waste any more time chasing treatments that probably won't help you.

Yes this is where I fall short. I am an impatient guy.

=/

What's OTC?

Over The Counter medications, medicine that you can purchase without a doctor's prescription.

Problem is I don't have the money to visit the derm repeatedly. Every shit in Singapore is worth a diamond, with all the price constantly rising due to the rice...

And thanks to doriang for the advice.

You were given a regimen already, right? Acne won't clear up in just a few days, as

Kriszti said. I say you should follow his instructions.

Could it be hormonal acne? you say you only get it in your jawline :think:

Do guys get hormonal acne? :eh:

Anyway thanks for all the replies. Just another question:

My skin feels tight but oily. What does it mean? Needs exfoliation? Its like my face feels like its being stretched when I turn or make any movement on my face.

Please read my post on Eradicating Acne

You seem to have a strong allergic reaction to something at home. If I were you, I would start by changing all the current products you use.

I would also change my diet to juicing veggies or fruits ( alternate ) Even the cloth and the soap you use to wash your cloth may need to be changed.

Clean out your room completely and open the windows - let fresh air in!

Buy a duster and dust everything off. Clean all your items with a warm cloth before placing it back in the room to remove the dust and dirt.

Buy yourself an air purifier and allow it to run in your room.

Lastly when you bath do you lay down on the bathtub ? or do you shower ?

If you laydown in the shower quit doing that because it will make the acne worse.

However, after you have showered and all the dirty water is gone clean the tub and laydown if you want. You can take a luke warm bath and add epson salt to the water to fight off bacteria. Just don't put too much.

Always pat dry the infected area.

Good Luck!

Do guys get hormonal acne? :eh:

Anyway thanks for all the replies. Just another question:

My skin feels tight but oily. What does it mean? Needs exfoliation? Its like my face feels like its being stretched when I turn or make any movement on my face.

Yeah guys get hormonal acne just like girls.

Your skin is dry from the surface, so your body makes more oil to try to moisten it (atleast thats kindof how it works... You're probably irritating it too much?)

As for what you should do for your acne:

1. Try Benzoyl Peroxide (some say Dans regimen works, some say it doesn't, no personal experience of it) and antibiotics.

2. Go for Accutane. (I would suggest this one)

If you go for choice number 1, you'll end up having a real dry skin and the acne wont really get better, it'll just keep it under control. The antibiotics will make it better for about ~2 months after you've finished the ~3 month course, which in my opinion just isnt worth it.

I personally would really suggest you to forget about all these topicals and antibiotics as they almost never work long term. Sure, Accutane has some annoying side-effects and rarely people get severe ones, but its the only "cure" for acne out there. I regret not taking accutane earlier and wasting my time eating antibiotics for a total of 9 months during the last 2 years... Annoys me so much to think that if I had taken accutane instead of antibiotics in the first place I would've lived with a clear skin for over a year now!