Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It all started about a week ago when I noticed a lovely cyst forming on my chin...It didn't really get too big but it was to the point where it hurt to smile, definitely not fun. But since then, I've gotten about 3 more on my chin, and about 2 on my nose. Very attractive :| .

I've been doing the thing where you put a hot wash rag on them and then but BP on them. (I'm using Clearasil Acne Control, it's the crusty white cream gunk.) But I'm getting more, and it doens't seem to be helping.

I've finally came to the decision that squuezing is bad and doesn't do anything, no matter how tempting it may be...and poking them with a straight pin doesn't do much either. Not to mention it's stupid.

I'm using proactiv now and have been doing so for about 3 years. It has kept me just about completely clear, except an occassional pimple. I have been told that eventually the proactive stops working and I didn't want to believe it. I'm not sure if that's the case or not. I've tried some over the counter things in the past in an attempt to get off the proactiv, but it didn't work.

I'm not sure if my family's insurance covers the dermatologist, so that's not really an option at the moment.

So...what should I do?

Just about all of my acne is cystic -- I never get whiteheads, it's always the major ones. In my experience, nothing over the counter has worked. You can ice them (which, again, doesn't do that much for me), but DEFINITELY don't squeeze or poke them.

At this point, if you haven't tried prescription meds, you should definitely go to your primary care physician about it -- he or she can prescribe stuff for your skin & may be able to provide you with a referral to a dermatologist (if you have a referral, usually insurance will cover the visit). With my cystic acne, I was first prescribed topicals like sulfacet, then Retin-A, and finally anti-biotics. None of which worked, but hopefully you will have better luck. :)