Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RebeccaDeWinter

Has anyone here read Perricone's Clear Skin Prescription book?

Is it informative? I don't plan on following his diet exactly, because I heard it was extremely strict, but I'd like to learn more about which foods are inflammatory, etc.

Not the book. Just the website. Plant foods, herbs and spices are mostly anti-inflammatory. And fish, eggs and meat from non-grain fed animals. Sugar and hydrogenated/trans fats are inflammatory.

Not the book. Just the website. Plant foods, herbs and spices are mostly anti-inflammatory. And fish, eggs and meat from non-grain fed animals. Sugar and hydrogenated/trans fats are inflammatory.

Thanks! I thought grain-fed was better though?

Absolutely not!!! That's what our horrific, unhealthy food industry wants you to think, but no.

Those animals aren't meant to live crammed in pens and cages eating grains which cause the fats in their meats and eggs to be predominately inflammatory omega 6 EFAs.

He's full of exaggerated, unsubstantiated claims based on the GI system.

That being said, his advice is solid though! It might be hard to folow if you don't like salmon. I call him mr. salmon.

Absolutely not!!! That's what our horrific, unhealthy food industry wants you to think, but no.

Those animals aren't meant to live crammed in pens and cages eating grains which cause the fats in their meats and eggs to be predominately inflammatory omega 6 EFAs.

All of the expensive ones I see at the health food store say "free range" and "grain fed"

His advice for the most part is pretty sound and effective. You probably don't have to be 100% one some things, depending on what causes your acne. A good antiacne regimen would include mostly antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables. Meat is ok, with fish being the best since it is a good source of omega 3. IF you can afford grass fed meat, it is another good source of omega 3. Grain fed meat is full of omega 6. Grains and dairy should be eliminated, unless properly processed. I mean processed like fermentation, soaking, and sprouting. These methods remove the antinutrients in foods like grains and legumes as well as reduce the allergenicity (I know, not a real word). For instance, traditional sourdough bread might not cause breakouts since the fermentation process removes the phytates and breaks down the gluten so its less likely to cause a problem. Plain, cultured milk products follow the same rules. Milk is generally bad, but fermentation (yogurt, kefir) add probiotics, remove the lactose, breakdown the casein proteins and hormones.

Add in some quality supplements (digestive enzymes, fish oil, multi vitamin etc) and you will be on your way to clear skin.

His book is interesting, but his diet is a failure. He promotes soy as a food that can be eaten daily and even at each meal, but as we know soy causes acne breakouts in men and women. He says eat protein at the beginning of each meal to reduce an insulin spike. Didn't work for me. And he ignores grains as the major cause of acne. So there is nothing groundbreaking about the diet he suggests. It's his sequence of eating that he feels eliminates acne, but this does not explain the Papua New Guinea study where no acne was found on any teenagers until they adapted to a modern diet.

If you read up about him on the internet, there are some really good points that make him seem nothing more than a quack.

He wrote a number of books, mostly about beauty and weight-loss diets, but they are not much different from the acne diet.

One of the more convincing remark on the internet was ' Look at him. He is neither young looking for his age nor thin, and his skin isn't that fabulous. Why are you guys taking his advice?'

If you read up about him on the internet, there are some really good points that make him seem nothing more than a quack.

He wrote a number of books, mostly about beauty and weight-loss diets, but they are not much different from the acne diet.

One of the more convincing remark on the internet was ' Look at him. He is neither young looking for his age nor thin, and his skin isn't that fabulous. Why are you guys taking his advice?'

Your right, I didn't think his skin looked THAT great either. I wonder how old he is. Judging by his pics I would says he's in his 60s. Expecially from this pic:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2209976.jpg...A5397277B4DC33E

Im going to check

I am reading this book at the moment. I don't know where I'll get Alaskan Salmon though! A lot of it seems pretty hard, but I'm sure the 28 day program would work. It's a helpful book though.

The diet he advocates is quite hard to follow. I tried the 3 day one but gave up on the last day. It's very restrictive, low in calories and is probably more suitable for people who are rich and don't have to prepare meals themselves. It might have worked, but I guess I was discouraged when I saw 2 zits appearing on the second day.

Plus, after two days of salmon as my main calorie source, it's hard to stomach anymore of it.

I know of someone who went on that diet and it worked for her even though she cheated a little everyday.

I have his book! (What's up w/ the girl on the cover?) Basically, all he really advocates for acne victims is a low GI diet - organic, and whole as possible. That's it.

He also lists a million vitamins & nutrients that have been shown to be helpful, but the general consensus of the book is to not eat anything that will spike your blood sugar.

Hell, I am already on his diet...and I have not even read it yet.

I love salmon...and honestly I do not think this regimen is "that hard".

I eat all dark green veggies, and salmon..I take my vitamins, I drink h20...I dont know what type of diet per'se that is called??

However It will not inflame my skin, so I am okay with it...it is filling for me.