Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qqbedheadqq

Bacterial Folliculitis (staph)

I was dx'd w/ bacterial folliculitis this past Wed. I was put on Doxycyline 100mg every 12 hrs. I am having second thoughts about having started it because of the continued use in the future. I have read where sometimes folliculitis sometimes will resolve w/o antibiotics. Upon starting the drug, my break out got worse. Now I am shampooing with H/S with 2% pyrithione zinc and leaving it in my hair over night. The pustules seem to be drying up and I dont see new ones. I am wondering since I have been on the antibiotic for 4 days only if I stopped and just continue w/ the H/S routine. Has anyone stopped the antibiotics so soon after starting them and what was the result? Help! I just dont know what I should do. I do know that I dont want to start taking antibiotics for more than a month. The dr. said to take them for a month. But from what I have read around here it turns into more than a month and many other drugs. Any and all adive and encouragement are welcomed please.

I'm not going to say whether or not you should stop taking these antibiotics. You know your body the best and I'm sure you have tried different topical stuff from stores. I will share my experience of what I've been through. I was diagnosed with folliculitis and confirmed that it is not MRSA. Although, I'm not totally sure if its bacteria related or fungal? Thats what I'm reseaching. I'm actually going to see the doctor today for further treatment and advice. Anyways, I've been on bactrim (antibiotic) about 2 or 3 times for about 2 weeks if I remember corectly. When I was done with the dosage the stuff came back. The first time it attacked my face pretty bad. I had white heads all over and they were itchy as crap. After that I think it was the second time I was put on bactrim and I was prescribed bactroban (topical cream) and clindamycin pads 1%. Things went pretty well for sometime. About 4 months ago I got a red area on my chest along with a pretty large lump. It sort of looked like a spider bite. I went to the doctor for this and he put me on keflex 500mg. (another antibiotic) Wow! I never realized I've been on a lot of meds for this crap. And after the two weeks of Keflex I started minocycline for 3 months. I recently just finished that cycle about 2 weeks ago. Now I have it pretty bad on my back and some spots on my face. I've also been using clindamycin gel 1% on the lesions. It seems like nothing new is popping up but I can get rid of this crap at all. I've been reading stuff on here and decided to try the head and shoulders I used it today in the shower. I don't know if its helping being that I only started it today, but I will keep you updated with that. I see the doctor today!!! I may even be put on accutane. I don't know I just with this stuff would die. Sorry this is kind of long hopefully you read it all. Best of luck with your condition! Keep your head up.

I'm not going to say whether or not you should stop taking these antibiotics. You know your body the best and I'm sure you have tried different topical stuff from stores. I will share my experience of what I've been through. I was diagnosed with folliculitis and confirmed that it is not MRSA. Although, I'm not totally sure if its bacteria related or fungal? Thats what I'm reseaching. I'm actually going to see the doctor today for further treatment and advice. Anyways, I've been on bactrim (antibiotic) about 2 or 3 times for about 2 weeks if I remember corectly. When I was done with the dosage the stuff came back. The first time it attacked my face pretty bad. I had white heads all over and they were itchy as crap. After that I think it was the second time I was put on bactrim and I was prescribed bactroban (topical cream) and clindamycin pads 1%. Things went pretty well for sometime. About 4 months ago I got a red area on my chest along with a pretty large lump. It sort of looked like a spider bite. I went to the doctor for this and he put me on keflex 500mg. (another antibiotic) Wow! I never realized I've been on a lot of meds for this crap. And after the two weeks of Keflex I started minocycline for 3 months. I recently just finished that cycle about 2 weeks ago. Now I have it pretty bad on my back and some spots on my face. I've also been using clindamycin gel 1% on the lesions. It seems like nothing new is popping up but I can get rid of this crap at all. I've been reading stuff on here and decided to try the head and shoulders I used it today in the shower. I don't know if its helping being that I only started it today, but I will keep you updated with that. I see the doctor today!!! I may even be put on accutane. I don't know I just with this stuff would die. Sorry this is kind of long hopefully you read it all. Best of luck with your condition! Keep your head up.

Good grief, you've had a rough time of it. Best wishes that it finally resolves for you! Ask your doctor which shampoo would work best for you to use as a body wash; some shampoos target fungal folliculitis and some target bacterial folliculitis. Nizoral is good for fungal and the others are good for bacterial. I myself use Selsun Blue that has the selenium sulfide in it and that works great for me.

Yeah Wynne, it's no fun at all. I don't let it get me depressed, which is a good thing. My derm. has been treating it as bacterial, but I'm not sure what it is. I stopped going to him and I'm seeing my physician. He's been more aggressive. That might be a bad thing though I don't know. any feedback.

I'm in the same boat but I've been riding in this boat for 8 years. Doh! I just started Keflex and have been on Prednisone for a week. The Prednisone is working well for my scalp folliculitis It's the folliculitis in my goatee area that makes my life hell and that's still there. I've been down the antibiotic road before but my current derm has really taken up my challenging problem and so I feel better knowing someone is trying & cares. I'd also take a few weeks of relief right now if I can get it though there are probably consequences I don't want to face. I also know that my problem is perplexing the pros. I keep telling myself that I'm trying my best. I haven't quit.

1. To all with folliculitis, do you have any dental infections or unfinished root canals? Let me know.

I have an old calficied canal that couldn' t be root canaled. It's doesn't hurt much but I imagine it may have some infected pulp or bacteria in tooth's tubules. I've been trying to look at this from many angles and that's just one.

I wonder if my folliculits was induced by my initial use of antibiotics.

2. The micro flora of your nose & gut? Good & bad bacteria. Good & bad yeast? Is it in balance? How do we know if IS in balance?

3. Night sweats. Sweating at night. Sweat and bearded areas. Sweat seem to aggravate these areas for me BIG TIME.

4. Also, can you guys tell me if you have any issues in the shaved part of your face? Say your cheek areas? For the most part my cheeks are normal.

Maybe we can brainstorm and help each other.

:cool:

Edited by guppy45