Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greg estrada

Real-life support group in your town??

hey guys,

i run a group for scarring here in DC and i get lotta emails saying "gee i wish there was a group where i live"....

how about starting a message category called "support groups"? and you post a question like "Myrtle Beach,SC?" or wherevevr you live and let it snowball from there---running a support group is just like hosting a party--it's that simple--we meet in a restaurant but it could be somoene's house, coffeeshop, whatever--

our scar group meets in person so we can *see* what scar fixing procedures worked & how well, but an obvious side-effect of the "show& tell" is emotional support --

it doesn't cost anything to run a group and the payoff is priceless--

start posting!

Your Welcome,

Greg

greg - I think it's a good idea ... but not many seem to respond to such calls.

Can you tell me a little of how you set it up?

Thanks.

Hi Greg,

I think your support group is wonderful. I heard about it over a year ago. I tried getting one started in Seattle, but the interest was so so.

Tell us please, what do you do at a typical meeting? Do you set an agenda or is it just a place for people to go and feel acceptance, or maybe both?

Thank you!

Anna

hey guys,

we've had over 100 people attend our group meetings-not all at once but counting all those that physically came to the meetings--we had over 300 emails saying "i'm coming" but they never showed, so yes--people are reluctant to come *at first* but once they get the nerve to come the first time(granted--it's pretty scary) they're hooked--so there *is* interest...

no meeting agenda--just "look what i had done and it cost me a bucket of money and it did nothing" or "look what i did to this scar and it worked great"...a show & tell really--nothing formal--just chatting about what's a scam & what actually works...

all you need to do is post a message on the many different acne message boards on the web, put a local ad in your print newspaper(yes-people still read the paper-strange but true!)--they will allow support gorups to place *free* ads cuz non-profit..... and you'll be flooded with inquires--D.C. is no different than any other big town...our group had 15 people within 1 month of advertising

make up a simple 1-page who/what/where/when flyer that you can email to people who wanna come....see ours below:

ACNE SCAR

SUPPORT GROUP

WEBSITE:http://www.geocities.com/grege20815/washdcacnescarsupportgrp.html

WHO: Anyone with scarring to any extent. We have all levels of severity.

WHY: To “show & tell� each other about the various scar-revision stuff we’ve tried so we can help each other “separate the hope from the hype�. There’s ALOT of hype out there and you can go broke real fast without much improvement to show for it.

“Before & After� pictures are nice, but seeing each other’s real-life results in person, in 3D, goes 1 step better. The group is also for moral support of course. Repairing scars is usually a multi-procedural nightmare that requires tremendous guts, nerve, and an almost superhuman persistence. There is no 1-shot quick-fix for us (yet!). If there was there’d be no need for this support group.

WHEN:

Monthly on 1ST Sundays @ 1PM. Please RSVP via email to Lydia Preston at: [email protected]

before coming so we save you a seat. We meet in daylight so we can better see each others scars.

WHERE:

Clyde's Restaurant of Tysons Corner

8332 Leesburg Pike (Route 7)

Tysons Corner, VA 22182

Phone: (703) 734-1901

Fax: (703) 734-1280

DIRECTIONS:http://www.clydes.com/restaurants/cl-tysons-dir.html

ONCE YOU’RE INSIDE CLYDE’S:

If you’re on time we’ll be in the lobby…hiding out in the dimly-lit couch area (to your right as you enter). Just look for the person with the olive-green folder in hand-that’s our “signalâ€?. If you’re running late, just ask the hostess to take you to the “Lydiaâ€? table.

feel free to use this flyer as a template for your group--

ok people--get movin-!

i expect to see a group in every major city by the end of 2004!

NO EXCUSES!

That is all!

Sgt. Greg

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

Hmm...I prefer to call it just 'get together' or 'social group'...which we managed to do a 'lunch meeting' instead. Smilingeyes and I met up for a quick lunch- it's all worth it. Now sillymonkey and I are planning on meeting up too sometime. Meeting up with nice people from here is really great.

Anna- things have been soooo crazy at work for me, so that's why I haven't asked you about the Seattle group also

Obi.

Obi,

I was worried about you. I even e-mailed Maya to see if she heard from you! Glad to hear your OK.

Thanks, Anna

Obi mainly lurks in dark corners in The Lounge ... he hunts innocent young girls and suggests lunch to discuss such things as papaya masks and the like... wolf in sheeps clothing. biggrin.gif

lol Maya...hmm, id love to go to a support group or "get together"..Im from the Phila pa suburbs...but the Virginia or DC support group meeting looks appealing because its not far at all and my bf could go with me and shop while I "hang" and chat,eat,etc....what about a support group chatroom? We could meet in a chatroom one night,or day and discuss things, ask questions and attempt to be funny hehe...ok just a suggestion....ttyl all

Guest ObiWontonKenoli
Obi mainly lurks in dark corners in The Lounge ... he hunts innocent young girls and suggests lunch to discuss such things as papaya masks and the like... wolf in sheeps clothing.  biggrin.gif

hey guys,

we just had a girl named Mauri come down from Philly to attend our meeting last Sunday--she had a blast--but i don't want her drivin 3 hours for 1 hour of fun---

here's her email:

[email protected]

ok-that's 3? 4? Philly people just here on this board alone--there are many more out there--go get 'm and start supportin'

also, forgot to mention-i also faxed my 1-page flyer to all the derms/plastic surgeons in the DC area so they would know about my group...

see ya!

Greg

Hey gregestrada, Marysthere, everyone!! Yeah, Im from the Phila burbs area and I know the city well so If there were a group, id def be up for getting together...right now Im only performing 50% TCA cross on myself so I havent had much experience with lasers or any dermabrasions, needling,subcision,etc...but I will proceed to try something else in the near future..anyway, I love the idea of meeting and chit chatting about skin stuff or anything else smile.gif

Cool! should we pm?

I'd love to get together, and finally get an honest opinion on my scarring from people who know what's up!