Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFabolous

Is Paleo a low-carb, high prot? And what about Southbeach?

My current diet is a med/high fat and low-carb diet, mainly due to candida problems. But now im seeing people fighting candida on a high-carb low-fat diet.

But how does this diet work? Low fat, means no meat or only lean meat couple a times a day? Perhaps only for dinner?

And then just loads of vegetables, fruits and grains?

Seems to be pretty easy to follow, and my bloodsugar is kinda low on this low carb diet. Im affraid of fruits, lol. But I miss brown rice so bad. And I know I can handle grains. Hell, I can even handle dairy and gluten but im not even willing to go there. I just want to stick to a healthy diet.

But im having a hard time doing this high-fat. I don't know how to get enough fat, but I still dont want to loose weight. Could I maintain my weight on a high-carb low-fat, and perhaps gain weight through muscle mass?

And if someone on a high-fat diet, could please explain how on earth you are getting enough fat. Are you eating several eggs a day, olive oil on all your meals and coconut oil for everytime you cook?

Im a bit confused, and I dont want to stick to my current diet since im so low on energy. And thats for sure because im not getting either carbs or fat. Its a loose-loose situation. And now when my hormones are in great shape, I know a new diet would be perfect as long as im avoiding pure sugar, milk and gluten I should be fine.

If anyone wants to help, please let me know.

And then just loads of vegetables, fruits and grains?

You pretty much nailed it with that. Though I'd be little careful with grains - especially wheat. Rice seems to be pretty ok. At least for me it is.

Other good foods on low-fat diet are

- potatoes and other starchy vegetables

- beans and legumes

Low-fat doesn't mean you have to religiously avoid meat. Just don't eat too much of it. All meats, even the so-called lean meats, are pretty high in fat (30% or something calories from fat). Keep them in moderation and you'll do fine. Otherwise I don't see anything that bad in meats.

My diet relies very heavily on fruits. On average I'd say 80% of my calories come from fruits. I love bananas and mangoes and eat a LOT of them. Eating fruits is just so convenient. No cooking, no dishes or anything. Just rip open a bunch of bananas and you are ready to go.

Green smoothies are also excellent food.

The biggest problem for newbies on the diet I'm following is to remember to eat enough. It's so easy to under eat because the volume of the food you eat goes dramatically up. But just keep an eye on your calories and you should have no problems.

Other than that, just keep it simple and you'll do fine.

Could I maintain my weight on a high-carb low-fat, and perhaps gain weight through muscle mass?

Sure no problems. I have dropped few pounds of fat on this diet, but only because I had some extra to shed off. But I've replaced most of it with muscle. So my weight has remained relatively stable.

Putting on muscle is not going to be a problem as long as you eat enough. The protein thing is a total myth anyway.

Thanks for your reply, you really seem to know what you are talking about =)

But maybe this high-carb diet isnt just the right thing for me. Im more into a paleo diet with less fruit and perhaps some rice and carrots instead for example.

But the Paleo diet tells me to avoid starch? Whats that all about? I've always been able to handle potatoes and green beans?

Maybe I should cross the southbeach diet and the paleo diet, so I keep my carbs kinda low, and then just focus on lean meat, fish and healthy fats instead of going high fat?

I really don't know how much carbs I could introduce to such a diet like paleo. But it seems that I can handle quite a bit, if I still eat lean protein and the healthy fats.

Also.. Do you think i could cook my food in coconut oil? I've only heard bad things about heating olive oil. But both Southbeach and Paleo tells me to use Olive oil for heating?

I don't really like Ghee Butter, so I would like to stick with Olive oil, coconut oil, perhaps avocado oil, avocados and nuts for my fat sources. And then a good fish oil to balance the omega 3's and 6's.

But the Paleo diet tells me to avoid starch? Whats that all about? I've always been able to handle potatoes and green beans?

The paleo diet is just based around a philosophy--it's not about bashing every food with starch in it or anything. Some variants of the paleo diet will include potatoes and green beans; other paleo diets can be vegetarian, or seafood-only; and some paleo diets will be entirely carnivorous.

The paleo diet also isn't strictly low-carb--you could technically eat 500 grams of carbs daily while on the diet. However, most paleo dieters will try to eat seasonally to most closely match the diets of their ancestors; thus, fruit intake will be reduced during the frosty months.

Also, you can use regular butter if you don't like ghee.

Edit: Whoops, I almost missed your other question.

In order to get enough fat from your diet, you have to wing it. Paleo humans would have had access to organ meats--liver, brain, eyeballs, heart, etc--which are very rich in fat. Now, these foods are much less common, and the vast majority of the time we eat muscle eat, which is a lot lower in fat.

In order to get enough fat, I will eat hundreds of calories worth of olive oil or coconut oil in a sitting (usually 2-3 tablespoons). THEN I will add some protein (like an egg, some chicken, etc).

Another useful option is to fry your meat in butter or cocnut oil, so that you get some added fat there.

Remember that if you take away carbs, you have to give your body something to work with; otherwise, you result in low-energy levels. So, next meal, take your favorite fat source and just...start eating.