Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cy829

Dairy Connection??

I'm currently 25. As a teenager, I had terrible acne and it stayed with me into adult life. I went on Accutane for a bit and it helped. My face was clear for years but it has now got pretty bad again.

I'm active duty military and just returned from a stint in Afghanistan. The weird thing was, over there, my skin was absolutely clear. I never had such acne-free, smooth skin in my life. Ironically, I would go weeks without showering, or with any kind of real hygiene. However, prior to returning to America, we returned to a bigger base. Before we left, I noticed my face breaking out ever so slowly. In the two months I've been back, it has got progressively worse. So I finally went ahead and bought Proactiv where I read about a possible connection with dairy products. Immediately, I realized that was the one difference in my diet while deployed. When we were forward, there was no way to bring any kind of pasteurized dairy products to our location. When I got back to the larger bases, however, I immediately started drinking milk again. As far as my situation is concerned, there seems to be an obvious correlation. I'm going to try to eliminate all dairy out of my diet and take calcium supplements. Just wanted to let others know. Hopefully this works for me...

I think it can be related. I've been on the paleo diet recently and that means no dairy, and so far I've been clearing up (no more breakouts, altho I still get a few white heads but not a lot, probably because I still have oily skin).

I also avoid grain, but try to at least to stay off the dairy and see how it goes. Good luck!

been off dairy for 3 weeks, blackheads cleared up a bit and marginally less oily so helped a bit but not a huge amount.

It's been 8 weeks and the difference is huge. Switched to soy completely. Still have some dairy (cheese, etc) occasionally. Using proactiv pretty consistently. All around, much much much better.

I believe for some people this is a huge cause of their acne... I know for me it was... I had a similar experience to yours... I was out of town and went a while without drinking milk and stopped getting new pimples...

In the last couple of years my acne had definitely flared up and seemed to be hormonally related. I had long figured that diet was throwing my hormones off but wasnt quite sure what in my diet was the problem... I had gotten to the point were I was absolutely frustrated with her product out there and my derm. So i started thinking of what I had changed in my diet in the last few years... Well i realized that my milk consumption had greatly increased. In my teens and early college years I was never a big milk drinker... I also never had the kind of breakouts that I was more recently experiencing...

So, I decided to experiment and see if not drinking any milk helped... Well I had already gone 2 weeks while on vacation without milk and had noticed the difference... well know ive gone over a month without drinking milk... and GUESS WHAT :dance: NO PIMPLES :naughty:

Now, i just trying to clear up some red marks and a couple of lingering blackheads and spots I picked

Milk most likely does not have a connection to everyone's acne problems... but for people who have bad hormonal acne try going without milk for a few weeks... its alot cheaper than buying every product out there

It's been 8 weeks and the difference is huge. Switched to soy completely. Still have some dairy (cheese, etc) occasionally. Using proactiv pretty consistently. All around, much much much better.

I'd cut out all dairy for even more drastic results. I'd also be careful how much soy you are consuming, as too much can be bad for you. Check out the holistic forums for more information on this.. most people there have had a lot of success with eliminating dairy from their diet.

I have been considering this...but it would be a big step for me as I love eating low fat yogurt and milk and they have been a big part of my diet.

What other foods have calcium in them to ensure you get enough - is it things like spinach?

I find cutting out dairy difficult too...I may try it again but last time I did, it didn't make a huge difference. I love yoghurts (and natural yoghurt can be good for you), and I love my bowl of cereal in the mornings..and melted cheese...! I drank the soy milk, but I didn't enjoy it as much as regular milk; I think somewhere in the back of my mind when I was drinking it, I was thinking: "This isn't real milk!"

Around the time I gave up dairy however, I also made some other adjustments to my diet which I found beneficial and which I stuck with: I now drink a lot less caffeine; I drink a lot of herbal teas (green, white, peppermint being my favourites) and I also stopped eating white bread. I think it may have helped my skin a little, but it also made me feel better overall.

I dont drink milk and sometimes have cheese, thats it but I still get acne, so I dont think for me the milk/ dairy link is the cause of my zits....