Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mybacneproblem

Need Tips/Suggestions for Body Acne

I've had moderate body acne for a long time now, but I'm just now getting serious about treating it. The best regime I've come up with so far is to wash with Irish Spring soap, then wash my torso with Neutrogena Body Clear Body Scrub, then apply Alpha Hydrox lotion, then apply powder. I have to do this twice a day to prevent new acne from forming. The problem is that if I skip anything, I have a new pimple to deal with.

I haven't had much success with SA or BP, but at least the Body Scrub doesn't make things worse like some soaps do.

How do I tell what type of acne I have?

I tried taking a salt bath, but that made me break out in several very painful pimples. I may not have had enough salt because my tub is oversized. Can someone explain why soaking in water would make things worse? It makes me suspect that my water source is part of the problem. I have very hard water in my area. Can someone recommend a filter? I'd like one that will allow me to keep my current shower head.

My skin gets very oily, but I haven't figured out any cause of this. Does using the powder to keep my skin dry make sense? It seems like the alkaline powder would counteract too much with the acidic lotion, but so far, it's the only thing that helps.

I just bought a bottle of Head and Shoulders to try. At this point, I'm desperate and willing to try just about anything.

I'm not going to be able to help you with what acne you might have, but I would advice you to cease using H&S. I used it over a period of a month or two and has left dark blotches on my skin which is taking time to fade. You may not have this, but I think after a month or so of using it you'll know what I mean. I'm simply using Neutrogena Body Scrub for the first time, and it's definitley decreasing redness and preventing new formation of pimples. How are you getting on with it now? :D

just a personal experience, body powder did indeed keep my skin dry, but bacteria can thrive in talcum powder which is the main ingredient in most body powders. this can aggravate the problem BIG time, as it did in my case. if the H&S doesnt work out for you, i would suggest an oral antibiotic along with the AHA you are using or even accutane since it sounds like oiliness is a real problem for you. i have bacne too, and its well controlled now with minocycline, but i know that it wont work forever so im on the wait list to go back on accutane. good luck with whatever you try. late.

fletch

I'm not going to be able to help you with what acne you might have, but I would advice you to cease using H&S. I used it over a period of a month or two and has left dark blotches on my skin which is taking time to fade. You may not have this, but I think after a month or so of using it you'll know what I mean. I'm simply using Neutrogena Body Scrub for the first time, and it's definitley decreasing redness and preventing new formation of pimples. How are you getting on with it now? :D

Thank you for the advice! I've been using H&S for almost a month now with good results. I haven't seen any dark blotches yet, but I'll keep an eye out for them. The Neutrogena Body Scrub didn't work at all on me. Nothing with SA or BP works at all for me.

My current regime is now just to use H&S. I also bought an AquaSana shower filter. It comes with its own shower head, but I just attached my own. The filter has been amazing. My skin doesn't get nearly as oily it did before. Something in my water really ticks off my skin. Since this new routine, I've only had a few new pimples that I can attribute to sweating. What I really need now is a way to make the red marks that I already have to fade quicker.

just a personal experience, body powder did indeed keep my skin dry, but bacteria can thrive in talcum powder which is the main ingredient in most body powders. this can aggravate the problem BIG time, as it did in my case. if the H&S doesnt work out for you, i would suggest an oral antibiotic along with the AHA you are using or even accutane since it sounds like oiliness is a real problem for you. i have bacne too, and its well controlled now with minocycline, but i know that it wont work forever so im on the wait list to go back on accutane. good luck with whatever you try. late.

fletch

You can see in my reply above what my new routine is. I no longer use the body powder, which is nice because it was messy. I also rarely use the AHA because I don't like the sun sensitivity. I'm on antibiotics that are supposed to help acne for other reasons, but none of them have had any effect on the acne. The H&S and the AquaSana shower filter have really helped so far.