Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
idugapony

antibiotics to holistic??

ah! recently got switched to another antibiotic, been jumping antibiotics for about 3 years now (from dynacin to solodyn to spironolactone to clindymacin to generic minocycline which i'm on now), one for every year. i realized i'll probably continue to juggle antibiotics for the rest of my life, so here's the question:

i should wean myself off an antibiotic, right?

assuming i'll probably still break out because i won't be on a antibiotic at all, what's the best approach to clear my skin up holistically?!

thanks ya'll :):pray:

ah! recently got switched to another antibiotic, been jumping antibiotics for about 3 years now (from dynacin to solodyn to spironolactone to clindymacin to generic minocycline which i'm on now), one for every year. i realized i'll probably continue to juggle antibiotics for the rest of my life, so here's the question:

i should wean myself off an antibiotic, right?

assuming i'll probably still break out because i won't be on a antibiotic at all, what's the best approach to clear my skin up holistically?!

thanks ya'll :):pray:

You should get off those antibiotics now!

The best approach would be to get some high quality probiotics and replenish your lost good intestinal bacteria. Then start eating healthy, whole, nutrient dense, foods.

i'm so nervous getting off them though, you know?! ahhh...! i almost feel like the only way to clear skin is through antibiotics, so i'm scared i won't be able to cure it...what kind of probiotics help??

Be really careful though, you NEED to wean yourself off. Do not stop abruptly, it can cause a big breakout. I speak from experience.

Overall, antibiotics are trouble, avoid them at all costs - taking them for acne should be illegal with the rapidity of bacterial evolution that leads to immunities.

That being said, you're most likely going to have a bad breakout once you stop taking them. I took them for 3 months along with BP and during those months I had awesome skin - after I quit them (realizing the harm) I had a horrible breakout even while using BP.

It is worth it though, your overall health needs to come first. After being on a typical diet used by members of this forum you'll find major changes in your mental and physical aspects of life - along with clear skin. I've been on an 'anti-acne' diet now for a couple months, it takes some patience and testing to see what foods are viable but it's the best thing for your body and skin.

I'd highly suggest going cold turkey. Get the breakout out of the way and get on with the healthy, the sooner you start the sooner you'll get naturally clear.

Overall, antibiotics are trouble, avoid them at all costs - taking them for acne should be illegal with the rapidity of bacterial evolution that leads to immunities.

That being said, you're most likely going to have a bad breakout once you stop taking them. I took them for 3 months along with BP and during those months I had awesome skin - after I quit them (realizing the harm) I had a horrible breakout even while using BP.

It is worth it though, your overall health needs to come first. After being on a typical diet used by members of this forum you'll find major changes in your mental and physical aspects of life - along with clear skin. I've been on an 'anti-acne' diet now for a couple months, it takes some patience and testing to see what foods are viable but it's the best thing for your body and skin.

I'd highly suggest going cold turkey. Get the breakout out of the way and get on with the healthy, the sooner you start the sooner you'll get naturally clear.

how long did it take you to get through the initial breakout after quitting antibiotics cold turkey??? when i quit originally, it felt like it was never going to end!!! :confused:

I quit cold turkey twice and both times I had HORRIBLE outbreaks. I weaned the last time and my skin was OK. Please talk to your doctor first before you stop.

how long did it take you to get through the initial breakout after quitting antibiotics cold turkey??? when i quit originally, it felt like it was never going to end!!! :confused:

I'd say my face broke out for about 2 weeks and then it started to clear up. Red marks of course are the bane to complexion, nearly as bad as acne itself so that took a few weeks afterwards too but my skin generally heals extremely fast.

Do you use anything as well as antibiotics? Topical creams are very damaging as well and tend to slow down the healing process quite a bit.

Omg, no do not quit cold turkey. Guess what...it's been 7 months since I started my post-antibiotic breakout! If I had NOT stopped cold turkey, I'm sure that this would not have happened with the severity it did.

I am not the only one. There are plenty of people in the antibiotics sub forum that have gone through this, with the breakout lasting for ages and ages, and not only that, but with a SEVERITY not previously experienced.

Cold turkey...worst advice ever.

Omg, no do not quit cold turkey. Guess what...it's been 7 months since I started my post-antibiotic breakout! If I had NOT stopped cold turkey, I'm sure that this would not have happened with the severity it did.

I am not the only one. There are plenty of people in the antibiotics sub forum that have gone through this, with the breakout lasting for ages and ages, and not only that, but with a SEVERITY not previously experienced.

Cold turkey...worst advice ever.

so your skin hasn't gotten better yet at all since you've been off it???

the whole reason i went on another whole search of products is because i quit mino in the first place and broke with--like you said--HORRIBLE acne i've never experienced before. i let it go on for maybe 2 months then continued my derm to get put right back on antibiotics :/

It is slowly getting better...slowly being the operative word. However, I still have ups and downs and have to be on an extremely strict diet to control it (which I am convinced is caused by the antibiotics. Before antibiotics, I never noticed any kind of connection with what I ate and the zits I got. Yes, my acne WAS caused by poor diet, but NOT to the extent that it is now...meaning that I could eat something like...god forbid, a piece of fruit, and not breakout within 8 hours.)

Anyway, antibiotics=worst decision of my life, and stopping cold turkey=second worst decision of my life.

Please wean off slowly, get on a good quality probiotic, and I would suggest the Candida diet for 3-4 weeks. If you can stick to the Candida diet strictly, while weaning off antibiotics, and taking probiotics, I'm certain you'll be able to avoid the trouble I went through.

Oh and as a note, minocycline is the antibiotic that is most likely to cause problems and post-stopping breakouts.

I agree with Tasha, I went through the exact same thing. Get on the candida diet, and get checked for candida/yeast infections when you are going off the Antibiotic. I believe that yeast infections are the reason people break out after they go off antibiotics.

Get a good Probiotic aswell.

I agree with Tasha, I went through the exact same thing. Get on the candida diet, and get checked for candida/yeast infections when you are going off the Antibiotic. I believe that yeast infections are the reason people break out after they go off antibiotics.

Get a good Probiotic aswell.

okay SO, i just got prescribed on Oracea?? apparently it's a super low-dose (40 mg!) doxycycline, but the dosage is too low to function as a regular antibiotic so i won't get immune to it--my derm said i need to go off mino, then take this low-dose prescription for a couple weeks (weaning off the drugs) straight and if my skin is still okay, then just take it once a week, then as needed (like right before period if i want). hopefully...my skin won't flare up!

beside that, tell me what ya'll think of carrot juice--i've heard people rave about it..should i drink like a glass a day maybe??