Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
howling bells

does mineral make up cause dry skin?

hey everyone, ok so im kind of having troubles with my mineral makeup. im on dans regimen (have been for about 2.5 months) and until recently was using liquid make up, which stayed on my skin ok but tended to show up little flakes that are kind of inevitable with bp usage. so 2 weeks ago i started using neutrogena healthy skin with aha every other night to try and exfoliate away the dryness.

also about a week ago i decided to try using mineral makeup, as i think liquid may be breaking me out. im using stuff from lily lolo in the uk but hopefully will be getting my everyday minerals samples soon. anyway first few days it looked sooo nice, i was absolutely in love, lasted perfectly for about 11 hours or so. however today i wore it and my skin has been so horribly dry, it just cakes onto it and produces these huge horrible flakes making it really obvious that im wearing loads of make up. eventually i had to use liquid concealer over it to try and calm it down.

so my question is, can wearing mineral make up be drying my skin out more? ive worn it for about 12 hours a couple of days, is this really bad for the skin? im using jojoba and a really good moisturiser but it doesnt seem to be working. i really want to find someway to make it work as i love the minerals so much! maybe everyday minerals will be a better formula? or could it be that im applying too many layers? (i am applying quite a few as dont have a good concealer at the mo)

any help would be so gratefully recieved! anyone else here had success with either dans regimen and minerals or just super dry skin and minerals?

I'm not really sure if it can cause dry skin but it definitely magnifies it. When I was on the DKR I had terribly dry skin so I can imagine the result of that mixed with mineral makeup. You should try exfoliating your skin, I use the baby brush method (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=140618) and it works great. It's really the only thing that truly exfoliates my skin. hope that helps a bit.

I'm on the DKR and tried Bare Minerals recently and had the same issue with it (and it aggravated my acne on top of it.) I returned it and went back to my liquid foundation. I do have samples of EDM, though, and would like to give them a try if I can get the flaking to calm down better beforehand. Out of curiosity, what kind of brush are you using to apply the mineral make-up?

im using a mac 187 and a little smaller one for concealer, though should be getting some everyday minerals brushes when my order comes (im in the uk so who knows when that will be) my brushes could be making a difference as i think i need to use more minerals to get a good finish so hopefully this'll get better when i get the others. ive also ordered semi matt as i think intensive will be bad for my dry skin.

thanks for the tip on the baby brush, im trying to be so good and not exfoliate as dans regimen sort of says not to but i may have to cave! hopefully once ive used it a little longer the aha will be enough. hmm i refuse to give up on minerals though as i really love them, im thinking maybe ill try using it as a tinted moisturiser and see if thats any better.

does anyone here find vaseline helps dry skin as well btw? i tried a little on a dry bit of skin last night and it feels ok this morning...

Mineral makeup can be drying. Have you tried the Original Glo formula of Everyday Minerals? It is supposed to be for normal to dry skin. I haven't tried it, because my skin leans toward the oily/normal category.

im using a mac 187 and a little smaller one for concealer, though should be getting some everyday minerals brushes when my order comes (im in the uk so who knows when that will be) my brushes could be making a difference as i think i need to use more minerals to get a good finish so hopefully this'll get better when i get the others. ive also ordered semi matt as i think intensive will be bad for my dry skin.

thanks for the tip on the baby brush, im trying to be so good and not exfoliate as dans regimen sort of says not to but i may have to cave! hopefully once ive used it a little longer the aha will be enough. hmm i refuse to give up on minerals though as i really love them, im thinking maybe ill try using it as a tinted moisturiser and see if thats any better.

does anyone here find vaseline helps dry skin as well btw? i tried a little on a dry bit of skin last night and it feels ok this morning...

Vaseline should help, I use aquaphor at night which is basically the same thing and I noticed immediate improvement. I also have been using Vitamin E oil and Emu oil at night and then a little emu oil right before I put on my makeup. But my skin is really dry because of the accutane (well its not really dry as long as I use the oils)

Before accutane I never had a problem with it drying out my skin when using mineral makeup, but it may effect people differently.

And like Aria said, try the original glow formula. That is what I have been using since being on accutane, and it is working well.

I use Smoky Mountain Minerals and I've found that I can't use the veil because it causes flakiness (i.e. dry skin). Perhaps it has more Mica than everything else? I dunno, but it gets thrown out as soon as I get a shipment.

It could be a very scruffy brush that is irritating your skin, especially when you have to buff with mineral makeup.

hey thanks everyone for your suggestions, i will definitely try the original glow formula when my edm samples arrive, just got to get the right colour first! is the coverage as good as the others? the bit of my face that i dont use bp on (forehead and cheeks) is quite oily though so im thinking i may use semi matt/intensive there. im using lily lolo at the mo and they dont offer different formulas so could be that its just quite a drying type of mmu, hopefully edm will sort that out. also will be getting their brushes too so that should help. im glad to hear someone else uses vaseline, im hoping it wont break me out but going very slowly with it at the mo to check and upping the moisturiser levels!

my plan until the edm stuff comes is just to make tinted moisturiser, i tried it today and liked it, and then i just buffed a little powder over red marks. i feel like this is a lot less drying on my skin and i end up using less. makes my face a little shiny though so may have to work on it a little. thanks again for the tips everyone!

I've had the same problems with EDM. I use a really good moisturizer, and can't seem to use it without getting patches of really dry skin. I bought an EM brush that is super soft - I would highly recommend it!! If you find something that works well for you - let me know!! Thanks!!!

The Vaseline does work well! In fact, I think you may have recommended it to me for around my eyes.

ha really? hmm are you sure it wasnt brandy or khrysalis? maybe it was a tip id heard from somewhere, i hope it helped anyway! im easing myself in slowly but i just cant quite bring myself to smother my real problem areas in vaseline, it just seems so wrong!

Definitely give the aha some time. Have you tried jojoba before BP? A little before BP works well without interfering with BP, IMO. Try gently massaging it in and the flaky skin kind of rolls off onto your fingers. I believe coolaskimdeal in the DKR forum had a nice post on that, linked in her signature.

MMU seems to exacerbate dry skin, probably because it is a powder and absorbs surface oil & moisture. For oily skinned people like me, that is great, but if your skin is dry then you don't have excess moisture to lose. It doesn't cause dry skin in the sense that it isn't affecting your sebum production.

If you're just starting DKR, then adjusting to BP means a lot of makeup may get flaky on you. At least that was my experience. Moisturizing really well is all you can do. Or powder mineral makeup may not be for you. A lot of people with dry skin seem to have a harder time using it.

As mentioned, EM has several formulas, and original glo and semi-matte seem to be better liked among the dry skinned types. You can also try mixing the mineral powder foundation with a moisturizer to create a creamy foundation. Just mix it right before you apply, not ahead of time.

ha really? hmm are you sure it wasnt brandy or khrysalis? maybe it was a tip id heard from somewhere, i hope it helped anyway! im easing myself in slowly but i just cant quite bring myself to smother my real problem areas in vaseline, it just seems so wrong!

You're probably right, but in any case, it works! ;)

ive been trying making a liquid foundation out of my minerals for the last few days and its really nice actually. im so glad it worked because i feel like if i go back to my liquid ill just break out again so i really want to stick with minerals. thanks for the tips everyone! basically all i did was mix my normal amount of mineral powder with dans moisturiser and applied it with a mac 187, coverage was really good, all i had to do was buff a little extra powder over some spots. i feel like this way wasnt nearly as drying as minerals, but im back to applying it dry today. maybe ill alternate or something until i feel my skin can take it a bit more or until i get some original glow from everyday minerals.

only problem with this liquid way is it makes my face soooo shiny by the end of the day. and if you try and blot and reapply to matt it down a bit it only works for about 10 mins then its kind of all thick again and shiny again. hmm. maybe i made it too moisturising. or i was thinking maybe this i where a primer like the monostat (sp?) stuff would come in handy. still it is good for emergencies. i think im just going to try applying less and wearing it for a shorter amount of time, and then just super crazy moisturise in the eve with jojoba and vaseline. does anyone know how long neutrogena healthy skin takes to start getting rid of the flakes? ive been using it every other night for about a week 1/2 now and still not helping too much. maybe i need to bump it up to every night. hmm. anyway thanks again for the tips, siouxsie i think im going to try cakd's exfoliating thing tonight, wish me luck!