Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowdaisy3

What medication will significantly reduce oil production?

I'm in dire need to find something that will reduce oil production. And I don't think a cream will really help because I get oily on my back fast too. I don't get regular pimples, mostly just white heads on my face and back, but they take FOREVER to heal. To avoid this I have to wash my face multiple times a day and apply all sorts of over the counter acne products but it doesn't fix the problem. If I wash my face at 7 am, by 9 or 10 am it's GREASY. I've started a b/c a few months ago for other reasons, but that hasn't helped my acne either. I'm looking for something to specifically target oil production. My hair gets greasy SUPER fast as well.

I have an appt with a derm next month, what treatments should I ask about? And how much do they cost? Does ins. cover anything?

Washing your face multiple times a day isn't healthy for your skin. Your irritating your skin which leads to more breakouts. I know this sounds kinda of dumb but washing your a lot can also make it even more oily. I wash my face only twice a day at most or sometimes just once a day.

If your face gets really oily throughout the day, (like mine) just buy some oil blotting sheets.

Out of curiosity, what's your daily regime like? The stuff your putting on your face might be irritating your skin too much.

Which facial cleanser are you using at this moment?

Accutain Is the best thing for it. it stops the oil and stops further acne and clears your face, if you dont want accutain try over the counter products which wont work.

Or you can listen to some of these people who are going to repost back and tell me am wrong and theres other stuff that cures it and tell you to waste your money. (your choice)

Accutane is awesome...but for many people the acne does come back like it did for me after two courses of accutane a couple years later :(

Guest anonymous

vilantae worked for me

Guest anonymous

atleast 1 bottle about 3 weeks or so.

Accutane is the best for getting rid of oily skin but if you don't want to take that I have found birth control pills to be successful in controlling oily skin.

Girls should try an anti-androgen, specifically spironolactone or diane35. Lowering testosterone levels will usually cause you’re skin to produce less oil. Unfortunately it is not an option for guys unless you don't mind being a lot less manly. :eh:

Accutane is the best for getting rid of oily skin but if you don't want to take that I have found birth control pills to be successful in controlling oily skin.

i agree! birth control makes it harder to wear contacts for a long period of time, too.