Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ince

Diet and my Acne

I am 25 year old male who has had acne ever since I was 19 I have mild/moderate acne. I did not suffer Teen acne but when I had turned 19 I started getting acne on my legs,back and face. I tried many supplements from Zinc to Evening Primrose Oil which did not work.

What did work for me was Low-Carb diet. This is the only thing that stopped all the pimples on my face. What I am trying to figure out is what food triggers my acne. I suspect sugar but the other day I broke my diet and had quite a lot of Ice Cream and Chocolates and I did not break out, following few days I ate rice and bread and still did not break out. The only thing that I have not eaten in a while is Fries which I use to season with pepper and salt(Which I also have not had a lot of) Could it be potatoes or salt?

Help will be much appreciated

Ince

I am 25 year old male who has had acne ever since I was 19 I have mild/moderate acne. I did not suffer Teen acne but when I had turned 19 I started getting acne on my legs,back and face. I tried many supplements from Zinc to Evening Primrose Oil which did not work.

What did work for me was Low-Carb diet. This is the only thing that stopped all the pimples on my face. What I am trying to figure out is what food triggers my acne. I suspect sugar but the other day I broke my diet and had quite a lot of Ice Cream and Chocolates and I did not break out, following few days I ate rice and bread and still did not break out. The only thing that I have not eaten in a while is Fries which I use to season with pepper and salt(Which I also have not had a lot of) Could it be potatoes or salt?

Help will be much appreciated

Ince

I, too, have been trying to monitor my diet and correlate it to my breakouts. I've cut down on seafood, fried foods, and dairy products mostly. In addition to this, I would eat at least 1 serving of fruit (banana, black berries) per day.

I'm 24 right now, and I am in a situation similar to yours. That is, I've never had acne prior to this. So far, I cannot say that the diet has helped me. Yes, I have had less breakouts, but that could be the BP working. I've gone days with the diet I've mentioned and pimples appearing, and then I have also relapsed on certain days (hey, I love seafood) and no pimples will result.

Depending on who you ask, diet may or may not have an effect. The medical consensus, though, is that diet generally does not affect acne. A dermatologist, however, has told me that it does. What I find is that no one really knows definitively what causes acne (just my opinion).

Edit: Forgot to mention one thing. I only drink water now.

I have been on paleo diet for two weeks and the only day I got a breakout was a few hours after eating french fries (I allowed myself to eat them because I was eating out with coworkers, bad idea).