Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EMP

Hello, help newbie with sev. acne

*edit* scroll down for pics

Hi, I am a new member here, although I have frequented this site in the past, and even bought the products for "the regime" which I followed closely. I know this is not the introduction section, but I feel my problem is too severe, and would be better off in this section. Anyway, here's my story:

I am a 20 year old male, 6' 130lbs. I got my first zit when I was around 14-15, and had an acne problem at 18. I can say that my acne has definitely been "severe" for the past year/ year and a half. After I moved out of the house in the summer of 07 my already bad acne become much worse, which I attribute to my poor diet(which was still much better than my rootmates). When I came back to my home town I was so embarrassed that I didn't even greet my friends. And at this most vulnerable time of my life I went out with the family for a dinner, and ran into my ex girlfriend whom I heard from her friends, was still interested in me. I felt so depressed and was near suicidal thoughts, and I finally understood the gravity of my situation.

And so, on the 1st of March I quit my job and I took a break from school, in an attempt to tackle this acne problem once and for all. First, I paid $1,800 for an allergy test, and was surprised to found out I had gastrointestinal allergies to garlic, pork, and beef, which I immediately cut from my diet. I tried to adopt hypoglycemic diet, meaning no white bread or sugars, and few whole grains. I also cut out dairy entirely, as I avoided anything with high iodine content. I started eating fresh fruits and vegetables changing what was predominately a carnivorous diet to a vegetarian diet. Then I started exercising 3-4 times a week. I quit drinking alcohol and smoking pot and now drink lots of water instead. I started taking supplements; omega 3,6,9, vit a,e, b2,6,12, grape seed extract, iron, zinc, and herbal extracts. And throughout the month of April I saw various estheticians, had acid peels and light treatments, laser treatments and even this new ultrasonic treatment.

Then in April my grandmother is Japan was diagnosed with cancer. (I am half Japanese) I flew to Japan and I am still in Japan currently. I managed to continue with my diet and everything else, and I've even been able to try lots of eastern medicines for acne. At first my skin started getting a little better, but after a month it got to a point where it didn't get any better. Then it would fluctuate getting worse or better and I had no idea what the triggers were. Right now its in one of those bad swings and is almost as bad as it was before April. What am I doing wrong? I quit going to estheticians and the harsh treatments because I suspected them of making me worse. I suspected everything. Any food I ate a lot of before a bad swing I'd try cutting out of my diet, but to no avail. Now I still exercise, I still take the supplements, I still have a great hypoglycemic, vegetarian diet, and I don't smoke or drink. I wash my face lightly twice a day but I don't know what I should use on my skin anymore. The only thing I can think of missing from my supplements is taurine, which i can't find.

I'm sorry for the extremely long post but I am just very confused and I'm growing angry at myself. I hate my new diet. I was a meat loving carnivore growing up in the greatest hunting area, Alaska. I hate this suffering, which is both mental and physical. As my acne is so severe my face is constantly in pain, and is also a huge embarrassment to look at. I've gotten rid of all the mirrors in my house so that i couldn't pick at my acne, I even purposefully scuffed anything that was too shiny and reflective. I don't even allow myself the luxury of a warm shower anymore, and now exclusively take cold showers in the attempt to shrink my pores, and to alleviate some of the pain.

Any help or encouragement is appreciated, I hope that by coming to these forums I can clear my mind and find a solution to this miserable problem.

Attached are pics i just took after cutting my hair and getting out of the shower. thats why my forehead is wet.

-EMP

post-77991-1214135975_thumb.jpg

post-77991-1214135983_thumb.jpg

post-77991-1214135993_thumb.jpg

post-77991-1214135975_thumb.jpg

post-77991-1214135983_thumb.jpg

post-77991-1214135993_thumb.jpg

Guest kiwikali

i'm so sorry about what you're going through. :( it's strange that you did everything you could, but it still doesn't work! accutane is usually successful, you should ask a dermatologist to prescribe that or some kind of antibiotic like minocycline. i hope that you find relief in the future. good luck

Like most people here would recommend: Accutane.

I was a severe acne sufferer just like you, and my acne was very similar to yours (except i picked alot and now i have moderate to severe scarring...sorta... uggh..). I was put on the accutane course, and it was the best thing i have taken. It may be a rough course with all the side effects (dryness, sensitivity to well.. almost everything and etc.), but personally I was willing to make the sacrifice and was desperate. It's not as bad as it sounds anyway.. atleast for me.

The only regret i have was that i had been suffering from sever acne for almost 4-5 years and if only i had taken it from the beginning...

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies, I have been thinking about Accutane but have been too scared to take it as of yet. I'm getting pretty desperate now though, and I will probably get on the tane when I get back over to the states. That won't be for another month or two, so I wonder if there is anything I can do in the meantime to suppress my breakouts. I was thinking of having my sister order some stuff and send it to me and heres the list I have so far:

after morning shower:

ZENMED AHA/BHA Complex http://www.zenmed.com/products/productdetails.html?id=298

After nighttime shower:

ZENMED Derma Cleanse Acne Gel http://www.zenmed.com/products/productdetails.html?id=33

In the shower:

ZENMED Facial Cleansing Gel http://www.zenmed.com/products/productdetails.html?id=35

For dryness:

ZENMED® Sebum Regulating Moisturizer 4oz

Organic Jojoba Oil (i thought i could maybe use this in a mask)

+ some taurine pills

Am I missing any supplements in my diet, or are there any great moisturizers and/or face wash you can recommend?

I've got a ton of questions about accutane but I guess I'll post em in the Accutane section.

Your acne is bad. Try some topical antibiotic or something before accutane. My acne was like yours and the erythromycin pads clear me 99%. Those over the counter product arent going to do nothing for your acne.... so dont waste your money on that. Go to the derm....

Thanks for the replies, I have been thinking about Accutane but have been too scared to take it as of yet.

I recommend seeing a derm and going on accutane too. It's really not nearly as bad as you read about on here. I had read some bad things about it online and decided not to take it the first time around, only to have to take it a year later anyways.

you should check out some of the accutane logs -- there are some really impressive changes there. Good luck!

1. Stop with all AHA products.

2. Stop with acne soaps, use a regular bar soap like zest.

3. Use benzyl peroxide at night *a low dose one, say 2 or 3%

4. Use a moisturiser during the day, like vivier lexxim (redness creme)

:)

Id say stay with AHA products and dont use bar soap products. Use foaming gels or if you use bar soap then use apple cider vinegar on your face solution 1 to 1 with water and apply to your face after wash....and try that coffee enema.

Your acne is bad. Try some topical antibiotic or something before accutane. My acne was like yours and the erythromycin pads clear me 99%. Those over the counter product arent going to do nothing for your acne.... so dont waste your money on that. Go to the derm....

Yes I agree, its bad. lol I've been on about 4 different oral antibiotics, and I tried a topical antibiotic all last month. nothing. I guess my acne has built up a pretty strong tolerance. What exactly are erythromycin pads? some type of antibiotic pads? I'll have to look into that. Anyway the OTC stuff I'm getting is to just keep my acne from getting any worse until I can go to the U.S. and get on accutane. and trust me, I've been to the derm.... 13 different ones (unlucky number? :shifty: )

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't actually been using AHA products, I just heard lots of good things about em and was gonna give em a try. As for BP, I tried that for a year when i was 18, it did help for a little while, but then my acne would fluctuate randomly getting worse then better, then worse again. I heard BP causes red pigmentation and the lacking result weren't worth it. also isn't bar soap too drying for my face? I'll look into that moisturizer, is there some place specific i can buy it?

Id say stay with AHA products and dont use bar soap products. Use foaming gels or if you use bar soap then use apple cider vinegar on your face solution 1 to 1 with water and apply to your face after wash....and try that coffee enema.

Do i just pat the apple cider vinegar on my face like a toner? also, do you have any web sources I can read about the coffee enema?

Hey, there. I'm really sorry about your skin troubles. It looks so painful. :( I don't have severe acne, but I've had very resistant, moderate acne for over 23 years now. If I was you, I'd go to a dermatologist and see if Accutane is right for you. I'd bet a large sum of money that you won't have any trouble getting a script for it. I know it is a scary proposition, as I was scared to try it as well, but it's not a terrible as it sounds. I did a couple regular courses and one or two low-does courses in my late teens and early-mid 20's. I haven't had any long-term effects from it that I know of, except that I suspect that I may have slightly decreased night vision as a result of taking it. In any case, it got rid of my cysts pretty well, but I still get female hormonal-related whiteheads on my chin, around my nose, and on my cheeks.

Also, in the meanwhile, if I was you, I'd probably simplify your regimen to using a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil or Purpose and a (yes) light noncomedogenic moisturizer twice a day. I wouldn't even know what to tell you to try topically, so I won't even go there. It sounds like you're taking good care of yourself and eating right, so I'd keep up with that. Are you exercising by any chance? I have to admit that my skin looked better when I was working out regularly (which was many moons ago.) Other than that, go to the derm when you've returned to the states and see what they can offer you. Good luck to you.

Your acne is bad. Try some topical antibiotic or something before accutane. My acne was like yours and the erythromycin pads clear me 99%. Those over the counter product arent going to do nothing for your acne.... so dont waste your money on that.

Agreed, i pretty much had the same kind of acne u did and benzaclin/erythromycin cream cleared me around 80% in the first 1-2 months! (Im sure the pad is just as good) Today, 6 months after my face is pretty much clear with the exception of the 3-4 pimples i get from the occosianal breakout.

I do recommend going on accutane first if u have any sign of nodular acne cus the creams dont do jack on them and from what i heard accutane clears people up better.

Anyway best of luck with your acne and i hope everything goes well for u!

Agreed, i pretty much had the same kind of acne u did and benzaclin/erythromycin cream cleared me around 80% in the first 1-2 months! (Im sure the pad is just as good) Today, 6 months after my face is pretty much clear with the exception of the 3-4 pimples i get from the occosianal breakout.

I do recommend going on accutane first if u have any sign of nodular acne cus the creams dont do jack on them and from what i heard accutane clears people up better.

I have quite a bit of nodular acne, it justs hard to see in the pictures because it doesn't develop a red pigment. I have them on both side of my face, right in front of where my earlobes are. however, I will see if i can get ahlod of some pads. thanks.

Did you try Klaron (Sodium Sulfacetamide Lotion), benzaclyn, erythromycin pads, retin A, differin? i try all this things. Klaron and erythromycin pads clear me almost 100%. Differin, benzaclyn, retin A clear me75%. You have to try other things before accutane. In my opinion try Klaron or erythromycin with a very good soap like benzac or panoxyl. If that dont work, accutane is the solution man! good luck and be strong.....

ohh i forgot, buy a bottle of Beta-carotene or vitamin A. My derm told me one time that this vitamin prevent scaring. It worked for me!!!!

Accutane. Period.

I had similiar severe acne in my early twenties, though I don't think it was as bad as yours and my Derm put me on Accutane. It won't cure the overall problem, but it will clear your face up and help you better manage it. Accutane isn't a cure all, however it will greatly help alleviate the severity. I'm 31 and I still have troubled skin, but it's manageable.

Good luck and see a Derm ASAP.

At first my skin started getting a little better, but after a month it got to a point where it didn't get any better. Then it would fluctuate getting worse or better and I had no idea what the triggers were.

Hey,

I read your story and I can only imagine how much stress this situation is causing you. It sounds like you are doing very well with regards to what you eat and what you do topically for your skin...

Did either of your parents ever suffer with acne? Sometimes acne is family related.

Or it could possibly be hormonal. If you didn't have acne in high school there is a high likelihood that you get it in your late teens-early twenties. That's what happened with me.

I am not sure what you can do to help with hormonal imbalances if that is your issue. But from reading what you wrote I can't think of much else except try not to stress too much over your face as impossible as that may sound. Stress not only effects how you feel emotionally but can affect your physical health as well.

Also check out this list of pro-inflammatory foods and see if there is something else you should try to stray away from: http://www.oprah.com/presents/2005/young/l...lammatory.jhtml

Now here's the list of anti-inflammatory foods: http://www.oprah.com/presents/2005/young/l...foods_101.jhtml

I hope I helped you in some way. Keep your head up!

Oh! And look into Alpha Lipoic Acid

BTW, your eyes are very nice!

I suggest you stop wasting your time with other treatments, but do keep up your healthy diet and exercise and get prescribed Acutane ASAP.

You DEF need a topical antibiotic or something that kills bacteria.

You said you bought stuff for Dan's regimen, how did that go? And I agree with those who suggested the erythromycin pads (it's basically a topical antibiotic).

I've learned that food does not actually affect my acne other than making sure I get what my body needs. For the past few weeks I've been taking fish oil along with the vitamins you've been taking (except the complete b-complex) and it's really working. I would recommend trying the fish oil out. In the mean time, get something topical to kill the bacteria.

I also agree with those who suggested accutane. Good luck.

my face looks a lot like yours and i never had acne all throughout high school besides the occasional zit then the summer after i graduated it slowly got worse an worse and by easter it was probably worse than yours im now on accutane into my third month and it is clearing up slowly but surely...do you have any acne on your back or chest?and also did you use proactive before cause im pretty sure thats what made my acne severe

Aww man, you should try accutane. Not because the quantity, but your acne seem to be resistant to many treatments.

Other than that, Taurine is found in Red Bull energy drinks. Most of the people who use taurine supplements drink the sugar-free version. Good luck :surprised:

You sound exactly like me about 6 or 7 months ago. "Nothing is working...what am i doing wrong...antibiotics dont help...etc " Just get on Accutane. If your derm recommends it, then take it. Because if you continue to worry about all the side effects, you will end up getting them. I took Accutane without knowing much about it, just what my derm told me. I didnt think it was a big deal, and I got through it with only chapped lips (not even dry skin!). So...just take it and dont give yourself a headache about the possible side effects.

My acne is like yours except mine is focused a bit more towards the side then middle.

Thanks for the responses and feedback everyone. It gives me strength to know that I am not the only person that is suffering from or has suffered from very bad acne. Some of you had some questions and i don't feel like quoting everyone so heres the skinny:

* yes i have tried Sodium Sulfacetamide Lotion, benzaclyn, retin A, differin, along with a few other things my previous derms have given me.

* I take vit A (think I listed that in my OP) but I'll look into Beta-carotene.

* My mom had acne, but nothing severe. Don't know about my dad, lost him when I was 13. I'd say its probably hormonal since I seem to be a "late/long bloomer" and I don't have much in terms of facial hair yet. Plus I was in a near fatal plane crash when I was 13 :injured: and I think the stress might have caused some irregular hormonal activity. :think: (started developing gynocomastia when i was 14 and when that went away at about 15 or 16 I started getting bad acne)

* Dan's Regimen went well for the first 4 weeks. Then my acne started getting worse again, then even worse than when I started. When I heard BP causes pigmentation I didn't think it was worth continuing. :silenced:

* I have the occasional zit on my back/chest, maybe once or twice a month or so... The back of my neck used to be worse but its been pretty clear for the last year or two. atm they are completely clear. :dance:

Okay I hope I answered everyone questions. I will be going to Tokyo tomorrow to see acne specialists (supposedly the best in Japan) and I'll let you all know how that goes. Hopefully they will have some sort of miracle cure. :pray: I'll probably take some pics before I leave for some comparison shots.

Would any of you want me to start a blog?

dont do accutance!!! and it looks like ur dont have scars so DONT PICK IT!!!!

get erythromycin gel....it works really fast, will probably reduce alot in a few days

drink water!!!! alot of it...make ur pee in a white-ish color! and this is just for fun....eat up 130lbs for 6' is no bueno

hey man, if i was you, i'd get on accutane, its gona be the best thing u ever did. i suffered for 6 years and believe me i tried everything else but accutane saved my skin. i went on 20 mg for 7 months and im still clear even 4 months after accutane. dont waste ur money on anything else dude .

i had no side effects maybe my lips were slightly dry few times but it was nothing to worry about, the side effects are so overrated, people complain about everything, its pathetic, acne made me suicidal not accutane. bye