Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
favre4

how to beat candida

What are the best ways to beat candida? Also, has anyone had any success fighting it?

Low-carb diets, probiotic supplements, and an anti-fungal of some sort. Exercise is also important.

Plenty of people have had success fighting it.

Plenty of people have had success with just the opposite also (me included).

Extremely low-fat, high-fruit, high-fiber, high-carb can clear Candida pretty quickly. Along with exercise, sleep and other elements of health.

Carbs don't cause Candida. Constantly high blood sugar levels do. High blood sugar levels are a result of blocked insulin receptors (insulin resistance). It really has nothing to do with carbs, though many people keep blaming them. With this I mean carbs from whole foods. Not processed crap. That's of course bad.

haha. two answers, one contradiction. how long does it take if done right? also, how drastic are the effects on your acne if you beat it?

I'm quoting Dr. Graham here. He says that on low-fat, high-fruit diet coupled with exercise and other lifestyle factors you can get rid of Candida in few days. He says that he has never seen it take more than 2 weeks, even with diabetic patients, to get them to a point where they don't 'need' Candida anymore to control blood sugar levels. In other words get rid of the Candida 'problem'.

Extremely low-fat, high-fruit, high-fiber, high-carb can clear Candida pretty quickly. Along with exercise, sleep and other elements of health.

Carbs don't cause Candida. Constantly high blood sugar levels do. High blood sugar levels are a result of blocked insulin receptors (insulin resistance). It really has nothing to do with carbs, though many people keep blaming them. With this I mean carbs from whole foods. Not processed crap. That's of course bad.

I dont see how going extremely low fat would in anyway be beneficial to fighting candida. Yeast do not feed on fat. What do you think they make beer and alchohol with....carbohydrates and sugar....why??...because that is what yeast love to eat. I do agree though that fiber is really important to help with digestion and ridding the body of internal waste.

It helps because when you eat fat sugar stays in the bloodstream longer. Take off the fat and the sugar goes quickly to the cells. Sugar is only problem as long as it stays in the bloodstream. Inside the cells yeasts and bacteria can't touch it.

I see well that makes sense. I guess you really have to go one way or the other. If your not eating sugar/carbs than the fat doesn't really matter in the first place. With going your route though, your trying to battle candida and insulin resistance at the same time. Don't you think that is a little much for the average person to take on. It seems much easier to go the low carb route and take antifungal herbal supplements, then once the yeast is under control load up on probiotics and slowly integrate more starchy foods back into the diet.

Candida and insulin resistance are simply two sides of the same coin. Candida cannot exist without insulin resistance. According to Dr. Graham Candida is simply one way the body controls high blood sugar levels. It's the backup system of the backup system.

To me that explanation makes much more sense than saying Candida is an evil monster lurking in your body waiting for an opportunity to take over. Sorry... couldn't resist the drama, but you get my point.

Don't you think that is a little much for the average person to take on. It seems much easier to go the low carb route and take antifungal herbal supplements, then once the yeast is under control load up on probiotics and slowly integrate more starchy foods back into the diet.

Have any of you beat it? I'm curious about just how much it would help out. I have treid the low/no carb thing and it is very hard for me to do.

Eating a mainly protein/fat diet with low/moderate starches does not mean you are going to develop insulin resistance and candida. Candida primarily arises as a result from an imbalance in intestinal flora usually from antibiotics. The modern diet that is high in processed foods and simple sugars does compound the problem though.

Admit one thing, then: people with candida overgrowth have an increased risk of being carb-sensitive in the first place.

haha. two answers, one contradiction. how long does it take if done right? also, how drastic are the effects on your acne if you beat it?

They have in common the cutting out of crap processed foods.

Admit one thing, then: people with candida overgrowth have an increased risk of being carb-sensitive in the first place.

This whole statement makes absolutely no sense. You frame the issue in a way that makes carbs bad. That somehow people just couldn't tolerate carbs, much the same way many people can't tolerate alcohol or caffeine.

Carbs aren't bad. You need carbs. And if you don't get them from your diet your body is doing all it can to convert some of the fat you eat to carbs.

But let's get to your point.

Yes, I agree that some people get reaction from eating fruits or carbs. But that's simply a symptom of the condition (insulin resistance) their body is in. Remove insulin resistance and they can go merry eating all the carbs they want.

There's no such thing as 'sensitivity to carbs'. The whole notion borderlines ridiculous and completely the misses the real problem.

Of course some people are allergic to wheat and other carbs, but that's not the kind of 'sensitivity' we are talking about here.

This whole statement makes absolutely no sense. You frame the issue in a way that makes carbs bad. That somehow people just couldn't tolerate carbs, much the same way many people can't tolerate alcohol or caffeine.

Carbs aren't bad. You need carbs. And if you don't get them from your diet your body is doing all it can to convert some of the fat you eat to carbs.

But let's get to your point.

Yes, I agree that some people get reaction from eating fruits or carbs. But that's simply a symptom of the condition (insulin resistance) their body is in. Remove insulin resistance and they can go merry eating all the carbs they want.

There's no such thing as 'sensitivity to carbs'. The whole notion borderlines ridiculous and completely the misses the real problem.

Of course some people are allergic to wheat and other carbs, but that's not the kind of 'sensitivity' we are talking about here.

So the thing to do is to remove carbs and wheats until candida overgrowth is balanced

and sensitivy is no longer there.

You frame the issue in a way that makes carbs bad. That somehow people just couldn't tolerate carbs, much the same way many people can't tolerate alcohol or caffeine.

Carbs aren't bad. You need carbs.

There's no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. And once in your ketosis, your need for glucose becomes very small and can easily be metabolized from protein.

And if you don't get them from your diet your body is doing all it can to convert some of the fat you eat to carbs.

Your point?

The main, ultimate culprit behind insulin resistance is refined carbohydrates. Unrefined carbohydrates aren't much better--just look at the huge, stickied thread that demonizes fructose, a simple sugar that probably makes up 40% of your diet right now.

I'm guessing the Inuits have exellent insulin sensitivity. Feed them 300 grams of carbs a day, and see what happens to them.

Or, from another angle, look at it this way: Accutane is found naturally in the human body (just like glucose). However, even carefully regulated doses of Accutane easily causes unwanted symptoms in the human body that can continue on even Accutane supplementation is stopped.

Why should carbs be any different?