Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gattino di Cecchino

No Sugar/Grains = Personality Changes?

I notice that after a week or so of not eating sugars or grains, I become a totally different person. I'm calmer, yet more ambitious and driven. I notice that I'm less likely to tolerate buIIshit, too, which is weird. Really weird. (Yes, my skin improved a heckuva lot.)

Back when I was eating a ton of sugar, and even when I cut the sugar but kept eating grains and chips, I always had this weird nervous aura, and I was perceived by others to be "timid" and "sensitive" - I'm actually the complete opposite, but that's how I was perceived. My mind was also always really fuzzy and stuff, and I was less assertive.

It's weird, I kind of like my new self, but I kind of miss that sweet, warm fuzziness in me when I eat sugary/carby food.

Am I going completely insane, or has anyone else noticed changes?

I notice that after a week or so of not eating sugars or grains, I become a totally different person. I'm calmer, yet more ambitious and driven. I notice that I'm less likely to tolerate buIIshit, too, which is weird. Really weird. (Yes, my skin improved a heckuva lot.)

Back when I was eating a ton of sugar, and even when I cut the sugar but kept eating grains and chips, I always had this weird nervous aura, and I was perceived by others to be "timid" and "sensitive" - I'm actually the complete opposite, but that's how I was perceived. My mind was also always really fuzzy and stuff, and I was less assertive.

It's weird, I kind of like my new self, but I kind of miss that sweet, warm fuzziness in me when I eat sugary/carby food.

Duh to much sugars is bad for u

^^ I don't eat sugars anymore

well fruits has sugars but is fruit :)

I am glad is helping u :)

You know what....I think the exact same thing is happening to me too. I cut out grains about a week and a half ago(with a couple of slip ups) and I feel different. I've been standing up for myself a lot more lately, when usually I just let people walk all over me.....I'm not sure

No , for me all Im eating right now is Whole-wheat flakes with bananas,some oatmeal cookies with raisins some boiled potatos and more than 3 liters of water a day.Im trying to clean my body as much as i can.Because I have heard that if you take the impurities out your body will be cleansed inside and it will show the results outside.I have been on it for 3 days now its hard.But i feel nice

hahaha you are cleaning out your body with oatmeal cookies? That's a new one : )

Maybe we should all try that..

No , for me all Im eating right now is Whole-wheat flakes with bananas,some oatmeal cookies with raisins some boiled potatos and more than 3 liters of water a day.Im trying to clean my body as much as i can.Because I have heard that if you take the impurities out your body will be cleansed inside and it will show the results outside.I have been on it for 3 days now its hard.But i feel nice

Duh to much sugars is bad for u

^^ I don't eat sugars anymore

well fruits has sugars but is fruit :)

I am glad is helping u :)

I admit, I'm a fruit fiend. I mean, if I had to nix fruit, I really *would* be going completely insane.

An excess of sugar causes anxiety and a series of symptoms (shiness, feeling overwhelmed, unable to say no, lack of confidence, fear of judgment) that are typical of suboptimum endorphins levels.

The mechanism by this happens is an downregulation of endorphins receptor causes by the sugar rush. Sugar stimulated endorphines so you feel all mellow and hyper when consuming big quantities (sugar sensitivity and alcoholism are strongly correlated). So you have a big rush of endorphins hitting the receptors and creating a cascade which is not that different from the effects of LSD.

The body recognize the danger of such situation and shut down the receptors.

When the effect of the sugar rush is over you feel worse clearly and basically in a withdrawal and so now you have less endorphins struggling to get through the shut down receptors. High doses of sugar are required to feel as better as the first time and if you stop eating it overnight you might hit a huge depression caused by the withdrawal.

That being said in many individuals a lack of carbohydrates cause the same symptoms by decreasing excessively the fasting glycemia, triggering hypoglycemia, lowering excessively glysolisated hemoglobin and interfering with the serotonin/melatonin cycle. Many people also don't have a ketogenic metabolic system suited for the long-term fueling of their activities, expecially athletic ones. Many people who jump on low-carb diets become depressed and irritable for this reasons and the effect is spread enough that books have been written about this specific topic. If you search low-carb usenet groups you'll see enough posts of people confused as to why after two weeks of low-carbing they feel ready to jump in the ocean with a rock tied to their neck.

The solution is to find an healthy compromise and your body usually signals you when it doesn't need carbs and when it crave them. In my opinion the best compromise is to exercise daily and have more carbs at breakfast, pre-exercise and post-exercise and more fats in the other meals/snacks. Also eating a carb like potatoes in the evening without proteins helps to inrease the prodution of tryptophan and hence the availability of serotonin and melatonin.

I had a personality change after cutting out dairy for a week. I have eaten/drunk large quantities of dairy ever since I was born, but cut it out completely as a little experiment. After three days I went completely ballistic and become an emotional nerv wreck. I have been known all my life for being very levelheaded and calm. Suddenly I had these terrible mood swings and either cried or was angry 24/7. I introduced daíry to my life again and went back to normal after a couple of days.

That was a withdrawal reaction.

It's a very wrong idea to go cold turkey with opioids like dairy, sugar, alcohol and coffee.

I personally can't imagine doing my 4 mile runs without a nice bowl of pasta waiting for me...

Many eats pasta i wana give it a try ;)

wont give break out riight? :P

An excess of sugar causes anxiety and a series of symptoms (shiness, feeling overwhelmed, unable to say no, lack of confidence, fear of judgment) that are typical of suboptimum endorphins levels.

The mechanism by this happens is an downregulation of endorphins receptor causes by the sugar rush. Sugar stimulated endorphines so you feel all mellow and hyper when consuming big quantities (sugar sensitivity and alcoholism are strongly correlated). So you have a big rush of endorphins hitting the receptors and creating a cascade which is not that different from the effects of LSD.

The body recognize the danger of such situation and shut down the receptors.

When the effect of the sugar rush is over you feel worse clearly and basically in a withdrawal and so now you have less endorphins struggling to get through the shut down receptors. High doses of sugar are required to feel as better as the first time and if you stop eating it overnight you might hit a huge depression caused by the withdrawal.

That being said in many individuals a lack of carbohydrates cause the same symptoms by decreasing excessively the fasting glycemia, triggering hypoglycemia, lowering excessively glysolisated hemoglobin and interfering with the serotonin/melatonin cycle. Many people also don't have a ketogenic metabolic system suited for the long-term fueling of their activities, expecially athletic ones. Many people who jump on low-carb diets become depressed and irritable for this reasons and the effect is spread enough that books have been written about this specific topic. If you search low-carb usenet groups you'll see enough posts of people confused as to why after two weeks of low-carbing they feel ready to jump in the ocean with a rock tied to their neck.

The solution is to find an healthy compromise and your body usually signals you when it doesn't need carbs and when it crave them. In my opinion the best compromise is to exercise daily and have more carbs at breakfast, pre-exercise and post-exercise and more fats in the other meals/snacks. Also eating a carb like potatoes in the evening without proteins helps to inrease the prodution of tryptophan and hence the availability of serotonin and melatonin.

Wow, Danny Howser MD... Aren't you 17 or something? But that sounds like something I could try... I'm not going to completely delete carbs from my life - the ocean I live next to is way too cold to jump in. ;)

Well I know one thing I miss my sugar :cry: ..

I am going through withdrawl....I feel like a fiend...this is no joke...

I think It stems from childhood..and my granny's house...she always had a big batch of cookies, sweets..ext..and we had good times....

I always felt safe with her, and could count on old time stories, with popcorn, and cinnamon sticks, with milk, there to soothe as well...

So as I grew, I have become an emotional eater...if I had a problem, of any sort of stressful situation...back to the old grannys cookies...IT calmed me down...It made me happy..and in turn , reminded me of my granny, and safe times...easier times...childhood.

Now, I cant eat sugar, or popcorn, or whatever, for my emotions...now its eat well, and stay healthy and clear...

However, it is hard to do, yet I will sacrafice.

So, I dont know if gthis has changed me in a good way ,per'se...

as far as my emotions...

But as far as my health I know it has..and will continue to..

Danny, how long does it take a "sugar fiend", to be over the withdrawal syptoms...because without my sugar and list of other foods, I have found myself crying out of the blue, numerous times these past 2 mths..and I want to be over with this withdrawal stage.

Well I know one thing I miss my sugar :cry: ..

I am going through withdrawl....I feel like a fiend...this is no joke...

I think It stems from childhood..and my granny's house...she always had a big batch of cookies, sweets..ext..and we had good times....

I always felt safe with her, and could count on old time stories, with popcorn, and cinnamon sticks, with milk, there to soothe as well...

So as I grew, I have become an emotional eater...if I had a problem, of any sort of stressful situation...back to the old grannys cookies...IT calmed me down...It made me happy..and in turn , reminded me of my granny, and safe times...easier times...childhood.

Now, I cant eat sugar, or popcorn, or whatever, for my emotions...now its eat well, and stay healthy and clear...

However, it is hard to do, yet I will sacrafice.

So, I dont know if gthis has changed me in a good way ,per'se...

as far as my emotions...

But as far as my health I know it has..and will continue to..

Danny, how long does it take a "sugar fiend", to be over the withdrawal syptoms...because without my sugar and list of other foods, I have found myself crying out of the blue, numerous times these past 2 mths..and I want to be over with this withdrawal stage.

I know you were asking Danny, but I thought I could offer some input. I hear that if you abstain COMPLETELY from sugar (even carrots!), by the fifth day, you won't even miss it. Now if you were to drop the junk food habits but you still ate natural sugars (apples, carrots, etc), your palate should supposedly adjust by a month.

I usually lose my taste for sugar within days; I know you said you're an emotional eater, but with me, I cheat b/c few cheap, acceptable foods are readily available, and when I'm hungry, WATCH OUT - hence, I'll just grab whatever from the store.